Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • walking…….hard work?
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

Walking, the cornerstone of strength and fitness imo, usually walk at least 3 miles a day with my hound.

Caher

He was talking about the twisting movements people use when they walk with poles. I cannot be bothered trawling the net for evidence as this was told to me over a casual conversation and it’s up to you what you want to do.

myti
    Free Member

I get sore hips after 8 or so miles. I’ve been gradually building up longer walks this past year and my best was 30ish miles over 24 hours and was shattered after that. Managed 15 miles round New York recently and was sore the next day. I think it’s a great compliment to riding for exercise and you do tend to see and hear more.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    angeldust
    Free Member

Caher – Member

He was talking about the twisting movements people use when they walk with poles. I cannot be bothered trawling the net for evidence as this was told to me over a casual conversation and it’s up to you what you want to do.

Probably for the best, as I’d be amazed if you could find any :roll:.

The twisting movement when I use poles seems pretty minimal. I guess swinging your arms more (than you would without poles) will create a twist of some sort. I would have thought that the reduction of load would at least counter act any damage caused by the twisting motion.

angeldust
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

People who have bad hips will use walking poles to help ease the pain they had when walking. They then have a hip replacement and the Dr asks if they use anything when walking “Yes I use a pole as it helps”.

That’s about it.

Caher interrupts his friend’s words that this is the cause.

So error by Chinese whispers?

ton

i came off my walking sticks today, and now ache a lot more than i have done since my op (6 weeks ago).
    the walk was done without the sticks.
    Alpkit poles ordered.

wwaswas

misinterpreting the data maybe?

Does walking with sticks cause conditions that require intervention or do people with pre-existing conditions that may require intervention start using sticks in an effort to avoid the subsequent treatment they then receive.

Drac

Swiss.

Twisting movement? It’s the same movement as walking except that you put your weight on the poles.

I walk with physio, nurses, Dr and consultants some of them use poles to aid their walking. Why are people handed out walking aids by physios if it’s bad for you? Weren’t some poles also developed physios.

It’s not up to me to support your claim that’s yout job I suspect you couldn’t find any evidence so gave up.

But https://www.graphyonline.com/archives/archivedownload.php?pid=IJPTR-122 you’re a mile off.

Anyway Ton here’s some tips that might help with your recovery.

https://www.arthritis-health.com/blog/hike-better-health-nordic-walking

angeldust
    Free Member

I’ve done plenty of trekking, last big one being the CTC last year over 14 days, 15-25 miles a day. To prepare we did consecutive day walks at the weekend, and a few hours after work here and there. Most of the prep was to get our feet ready for long distances day after day which is difficult to get used to. Aerobic fitness not really as issue, but you build up the endurance.

Daffy

Whenever I go to a new city with work, I usually take a day, pack my laptop and walk around the city working in various places. I did 36km around Paris in April and a total of 47km (two days) in Seattle in July.

My shoulders usually hurt on the day (it’s a **** huge laptop) and my feet the day after.

You do get used to it.

benp1

I like a nice walk, problem is sometimes it’s so slow that I wish I was on a bike just to speed things up. I prefer walking in places that I can’t cycle, or would be so technical I’d have to be hike-a-biking anyway.

I prefer cycling with the dog than walking him (in my local park anyway). It’s quicker, more fun and he runs more

I once did a 28 mile day with the dog doing some coastal walking (Folkestone to Dover, along the white cliffs and back again). I was walking like John Wayne by the end of that, absolutely killed me. Quite hilly too. Dog was fairly tired by the end!!

ton

Drac, thanks for the link mate. perfect

Drac

No problem hopefully it’ll help you recover and get some fitness back.

Bunnyhop

Ton – Nordic walking is different to simply walking with poles.
    Start off with 1 mile on the flat. Walking briskly enough that you are slightly out of breath.
    Build up slowly from there.
    Where decent boots.

Enjoy the scenery.

Cletus
    Free Member

If working at my normal office I walk there and back and normally have a stroll during my lunch hour. Normally this amounts to 13,000 steps or so.

I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR which records steps, heart rate and lots more and uploads it for analysis. It is quite addictive and I also use the Stepbet app which sets you targets over say six weeks and, if you hit them, wins you money (you can also lose :-)) On my last one I won $10 plus my $40 stake. It did get me out walking on slack days and was more about not losing my stake but it did work.

I do think that walking is not really a good exercise for me personally – my heart rate rarely gets into a zone that stresses it but that is ok as I do not want to be a sweaty mess. If I want exercise I now either cycle or do kettlebell workouts.

I would say that maybe the op does not need to go out for long walks but maybe just try to hit a step goal each day. Walking to the local shop twice a day knocks off 4k steps for me. A few more brief walks around the block and target would be hit.

CountZero

I walk into town which is a mile each way, I’m accustomed to walking three or four miles on a Sunday, I’ve walked nine miles before now, and me with osteoarthritis in my left knee.
    I usually have a walking stick when I’m out in the countryside, mainly to help with stability and support on slippery slopes.
    Walking distances is easy, you just concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and admire the view as it passes by, after a while, a lot of view has passed; at three mph, the average walking pace, a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon you’ve walked six miles.
    Piece of piss!

nealglover
    Free Member

I cannot be bothered trawling the net for evidence as this was told to me over a casual conversation

How long did you spend looking for evidence and not finding any, before you decided to say you weren’t going to look for evidence ?

😆

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Ton,Until last year I hadn’t done any proper walking for years,but in July I did the Tour De Mont Blanc trek.
    I built up the mileage just walking around here West Lancs which is flat countryside.The longest day I did was 25 miles but it was all quite flat.
    After doing the stuff on the flatish countryside around here I did the TMB no problem.One thing that I thought helped me over in the Alps was the pair of walking poles I bought.I never used them over here but I’m sure they saved my creaky knees on the descents in the alps.
    Try & find a route with a couple of good pubs en-route,it’s good motivation!

fossy

If coming back from surgery or injury, take it easy at first as you’ve got to get back home.

I had to ease in after breaking my spine and was told to make sure you can make it back.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You’re right. The guy who’s just had the hip operation and has never walked any significant distance before should stop whining like a big crybaby and just push through that shit.

irrelevant comment – you implied that if he walks the same distance slowly then he will get the same benefits, which in my opinion is not true. walking the same distance quickly will be a different load to walking it slowly, it won’t produce the same results.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘walking…….hard work?’ is closed to new replies.