Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • walking…….hard work?
  • ton

never really walked much. well i walk to the shed to get the bike, or i walk to the car, or for the bus.
    but no kind of distance, always choose the bike.

well now i have been told i have to walk a lot more, to help my body.
    just got back from a 3 mile walk, and i am knackered.

it is proper hard work isn’t it?

anyone walk long distance?

scotroutes

Try running. It’ll be over sooner.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get a dog.

….or some golf clubs.

mogrim

anyone walk long distance?

Sort of, I do mountain races and they usually involve a fair amount of walking. And yeah, it’s tiring if you keep the pace up. If you can get over the fact you look a bit of a **** using walking poles makes for a better workout.

onehundredthidiot

Easter to July is the busy dofe exped season. Tough on the legs with expeds at least once a week, sometimes two on the bounce. We’re expected to be within 15mims of groups which mean walking the routes. Yeah feel it come the end.

Drac

Like anything when you first start it is but you soon get use to it, 62 miles in 24 hours is my current record.

ton

Try running.

wouldnt that be a fine sight.

got a dog, mrs walks her, i have been unable up to recently.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There’ll be loads on here who walk miles Ton. I know people who do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks every month just for a day out. 2 ex colleagues of mine who aren’t spring chickens will do at least 15 miles in the Lakes quite easily.

I’ve been doing 3 miles as quick as I can but my bloody ankles ache!

EDIT, Ton forgot to mention a couple of things though… 😉

midlifecrashes

Shock absorbing insoles make a big difference to my dodgy knee

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve been doing 3 miles as quick as I can

That might be your problem. Slow down and take it easy and you’ll get the same benefits. It just takes longer and you’ll enjoy it more.

Take the dog and maybe some binoculars or a camera.

Give the walk a purpose and it’ll be more enjoyable.

ton

thought about some walking pole things. might order a pair and try em

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It’ll get easier, stick to 3 miles for a while and gradually increase.

Although I used to regularly walk 20 miles and tend to find 10-15 miles a nice amount.

Drac

People who use poles swear by them as PP says take your time, just starting 3 miles will take about an hour 1.5 at steady pace.

angeldust
    Free Member

Walk loads. Low energy, but tiring. You get used to it (just like you do with longer riding distances). If you are not used to it, the skin on your feet will probably be ‘soft’ (I know mine was, biking obviously doesn’t help here) and you need to be careful with footwear choice.

Caher

6-10000 steps per day. Rarely see a fat postman.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Walk most weekends, typically 7-10 miles although occasionally it’s got up to around fifteen. At around the 10 mile mark I tend to start dragging my heals a little and benefit from a little snack, that picks me up again.

I’ve got walking poles, I thought they would help spread the load a little but I find them utterly pointless and just another thing to complicate an otherwise beautifully simple activity.

3 miles is a decent start, keep it up and in a couple of months that sort of distance will hardly seem worth putting your shoes on for. I’d agree that maybe taking it a little slower to begin with might be a good idea. Try and vary your route. 3 flat miles is very different to 3 hilly miles.

wwaswas

I started walking when we got a dog.

As he was a puppy we both built up gradually, I’m averaging 400,000 steps a month now (over 3,500 miles in the past year).

I think it’s helped both my physical and mental health – taking time each day to get out of the house.

MrOvershoot

3 miles is good going for a bloke who had his hip done 6 weeks ago well done Tony 🙂

I would struggle to do that at the moment as I’ve twanged my Achilles tendon 🙁

Keva
    Free Member

yep I do a fair amount of hiking, hiked up Cadir Idris on New Years day, was a bit windy at the top 😯 a couple of mates and myself go on hiking holidays and will be on our feet for six or seven hours a day. So far we’ve been to Snowdonia a few times, Western Highlands, Austria and Corsica, seen some amazing places and views. I’m definitely a bit knackered after 12miles and over 1000m of ascent and there’s nothing better than tucking into a few whiskies afterwards 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Slow down and take it easy and you’ll get the same benefits

I don’t think you will. Brisk walking with a long gait stretches your muscles and raises the heart rate.

A couple of years ago I walked to the station and then from waterloo into the city and back on my commute, so nearly 2 hours walking a day, in decent walking shoes, and it didn’t seem to do a lot, in fact I got a fair bit of myofacial and muscle pains just the same as for a prolonged period of no exercise.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I typically walk 5-9 miles a day on work days as a postie, it’s the call rate that massively affects the distance, all those pathways to doorways and back to the road pavement add up.

Like any new type of exercise, it does take a while for your body to adapt, so stick with it. 😉

Don’t forget that if you want a record of what you have done, you can always use Strava on your mobile/gadget and change the sport type to “walk.”
    Or as I found recently, Ghostracer app uploads to Strava give the option of extra info (steps per minute, pace). You can even see how your ticker does, if wearing a HRM.

angeldust
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member

I’ve got walking poles, I thought they would help spread the load a little but I find them utterly pointless and just another thing to complicate an otherwise beautifully simple activity.

It’s clearly a personal thing, but I find poles can help a lot. On a challenging (i.e. 25 mile hilly) walk they help a lot. On a less challenging walk a single pole is good for getting branches out of the way, checking the depth of muddle puddles, and discouraging cattle from getting too close to my dog. Osprey packs have a very useful loop on the shoulder straps that allows you to store and access poles without taking your pack off (most other packs have a pole loop on the back which is more difficult to access).

RustySpanner

Usually do 6-7 miles a day in work over a 12 hour shift.

No issues there but dodgy back and knee means anything over 15 miles hill walking and I’m really struggling these days.
    Very slow too ATM.

You have to really build up to it.

Poles make a massive difference.

Give us a shout if you fancy a stroll round Hurstwood anytime.
    Loads of brilliant walks round here.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I don’t think you will

You’re right. The guy who’s just had the hip operation and has never walked any significant distance before should stop whining like a big crybaby and just push through that shit. 😉

It’s probably for the best.

dovebiker

Walking can be as hard / harder on your feet / joints than running – tend to use a longer gait and take bigger impact on the heel – build-up slowly and use well-cushioned shoes, particularly if walking on pavements / hard surfaces. I’m training for a long-distance event and often break into an easy-jog to ease the pressure on my muscles / joints. Hoka Tor Ultra boots, Injinji toe socks for blister prevention recommended!

Walking poles can assist in terms of extra propulsion / all-over work-out with the right technique – I can add an extra km/hr to my speed i.e. 6 to 7 km/hr – which is quite substantial over 10 hours. Most people I see walking with poles appear to be using them as a fashion ‘accessory’. Get ones with a Nordic-style grip and strap – Alpkit have adjustable ones for £35.

I easily do 10,000 steps a day simply walking the dog, and general bumbling in a day. I’ve got a 66km ‘foot’ event in the Arctic in February – was originally down to do 150km but an injury has curtailed my training. Having done some multi-day arctic winter ultras on bike, the guys doing them on foot face a tougher challenge.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I used to walk 6.5 miles a day to work and back for a year. I spent more on shoes than I would have done on fuel. I was permanently knackered & it ruined my knees.
    Wont be doing that again.

hooli

I walk a lot and really like it, gives me a chance to look at the scenery, have a think about things and relax. Does help having dogs I guess.

kerley
    Free Member

Walked 3 miles to work and 3 miles back home for a few years. I enjoyed it apart from when pissing down or when boiling hot and turning up at work sweating or drenched.

whitestone
    Free Member

Tony, like anything you need to build up to it. I hadn’t done any “serious” walking for a few years (probably since before my THR), last summer I did a bit of Munro bagging – my legs were shot for days!

Give it time mate.

carlosg
    Free Member

[quoteCaher – Member
    6-10000 steps per day. Rarely see a fat postman. [/quote]

That would be the easiest round ever!!, I have set my fitbit up properly (not just factory settings) and register between 21,000 and 29,000 steps on my round and up to 11ish miles a day. I’m not exactly slim either at 5’10” and 15st8lb (46″ chest 34″ waist).

tenfoot

I most often walk at lunchtime, a couple of miles, to make up for my sedentary daytime existence.

In the evenings and weekends the dog gets me out of the house, to the extent that I now do less cycling than before we got her. I think I just like being out in the fresh air, whether it’s walking, running or cycling.

FuzzyWuzzy

I occasionally walk to work and back (1.5 miles each way), takes a few weeks before your muscles/tendons etc. get used to it. I stopped (mostly) as it’s a lot of hassle for not much reward (in terms of burning calories) but will hopefully start again in spring as it’s better than nothing I guess (the hassle part is mostly I like to pop home for lunch but as it’s 25 minutes to walk each way I can’t do that)

FuzzyWuzzy

I occasionally walk to work and back (1.5 miles each way), takes a few weeks before your muscles/tendons etc. get used to it. I stopped (mostly) as it’s a lot of hassle for not much reward (in terms of burning calories) but will hopefully start again in spring as it’s better than nothing I guess (the hassle part is mostly I like to pop home for lunch but as it’s 25 minutes to walk each way I can’t do that)

Caher

On walking poles: I have a mate who is an orthopaedic surgeon in Switzerland and who once told me that a large proportion of hip replacements he’s done were due to people using walking sticks on flat even surfaces where they are not needed.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

On walking poles: I have a mate who is an orthopaedic surgeon in Switzerland and who once told me that a large proportion of hip replacements he’s done were due to people using walking sticks on flat even surfaces where they are not needed.

Really? Poles take some weight off your legs and help you balance. I’d be very surprised if that caused problems. Sounds like a pole hater trying to justify their opinion to me.

Happy to be proven wrong if there is evidence though.

Drac

😆

Not arthritis, fractures or general wear and tear?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I love walking. The purchase of el dogio fuelled this passion further but he can be a bit of pain due to his “attitude” but it still gets us out. 2 of the best things I’ve purchased for the wrighty clan walking wise were decent boots all round and the os maps app which is brilliant. There are footpath gems within 2 miles of my house that I didn’t even know were there till I got it.

angeldust
    Free Member

boriselbrus – Member

Really? Poles take some weight off your legs and help you balance. I’d be very surprised if that caused problems. Sounds like a pole hater trying to justify their opinion to me.

Happy to be proven wrong if there is evidence though.

It does sound like nonsense. A large proportion? Not likely.

Drac

People who have bad hips will use walking poles to help ease the pain they had when walking. They then have a hip replacement and the Dr asks if they use anything when walking “Yes I use a pole as it helps”.

That’s about it.

Caher interrupts his friend’s words that this is the cause.

jamj1974

Yes, when you have not done a lot of walking, it is hard work – so you are not on your own. Poles can help a lot – especially if the walking is hilly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘walking…….hard work?’ is closed to new replies.