Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Walking trousers as casual trousers
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Picked up a pair like this for cheap. They are remarkably comfortable and seem to be made of decent materials.

Would you wear them if not walking out in the hills?

scotroutes

Not two-tone, no. Plenty of other “walking” trousers that are perfectly OK for casual wear though.

Cougar

Fixed your URL for you.

Apparently they’re “active trousers.” Must be brilliant, all the trousers I have just sit there doing nothing.

peterfile
    Free Member

Depends on what stage of life you’re at.

If it’s the “I’m just going to give up now” stage, then yes.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course I’m not talking about going to the pub or meeting friends etc..

lemonysam
    Free Member

I probably wouldn’t wear them in the hills either. Two tone mountaineering trousers always seem a bit “try hard” to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, image aside, they are soft, dead comfy, appear to be durable, and cost £20…

lemonysam
    Free Member

That photo is amazing, genuinely amazing.

takisawa2

They’d look great with those suede effect crocks.

nickc

No

I don’t want to all CFH about the whole thing, but there’s a time a place for “active trousers” (Wallace and Gromit) and there isn’t…

I’d say pretty much every opportunity you wear those outside of actually hill walking, there would be a more appropriate choice

Drac

Yeah why not? Even in a pub.

I’ve just bought some new ones for a 24Hr charity walk tomorrow. £10 from Granite Outdoors.

Cougar

My gran used to patch my jeans using denim from a pair of even more wrecked ones. Looked a lot like that photo.

I would – and indeed, sometimes do – go out in Craghoppers to normal places (I’ve worn them at work, even), so I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with wearing “active” pants to the pub etc. But I think in terms of making a positive fashion statement, the statement those are making is “stay indoors.”

That said, I’m an IT geek in my 40s, so the extent of my fashionista leanings is a Battle of the Planets t-shirt and Spider-man socks. I wouldn’t listen to me if I were me.

angeldust
    Free Member

The RRP of £90 is the funniest thing I’ve seen in the last half hour.

kcal

I think it was Troll (!) that did the Jester trousers in the late 80s. And yes I used to wear them on a night out. They were a bit, um, bright :0)

Our place of work (IT, of course) was relaxed about clothing, so Rohans / Craghoppers were quite common.

ransos
    Free Member

Well, image aside, they are soft, dead comfy, appear to be durable, and cost £20…

…and make you look like you’re leading a Scout troop.

Drac

I think it was Troll (!) that did the Jester trousers in the late 80s.

How very apt.

nickc

Well, image aside, they are soft, dead comfy, appear to be durable, and cost £20..

you could say the same thing about a nappy, wouldn’t make it any more appropriate.

Cougar

Depends what sort of party you’re going to I suppose.

rene59
    Free Member

I often wear Craghoppers Kiwi trousers day to day. They are comfy, durable, and inexpensive. I don’t particularly GAF what other people think of my style though.

scotroutes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xdYKFE]Troll[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

footflaps

I wear black walking trousers to work for half the year, the other half TNF shorts.

Drac

you could say the same thing about a nappy, wouldn’t make it any more appropriate.

You could but it would a pretty stupid comment.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Re arrange these words

Nelly
    Not
    Your
    On

matt_outandabout

Another blue patterned troll wearer here back in the day. I have also been through all sorts of colours, patches etc, and now wear all one color, well cut Salomon, Patagonia or Arcteryx trousers. Most are grey or black, and you cannot tell they are ‘technical’ 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I’m going to wear them, and my Captain America top, and go for a bike ride. On one of my 26″ wheel bikes. I’ll take a picture of myself with a sign saying “**** you STW” and post it on here.

JulianA
    Free Member

Walking trousers are for walking. End of.

Now for casual but comfortable and smart, a nice pair of red, green or orange trousers (M&S have a good range) will be fine.

Just bought a pair of braces from M&S, actually – specifically for the Goodwood Festival of Tweed, but they will get lots of use, I’m sure.

Drac

Now for casual but comfortable and smart, a nice pair of red, green or orange trousers (M&S have a good range) will be fine.

**** me!

Cougar

a nice pair of red, green or orange trousers

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the swear filter, there’s a blog for that. (Sorry if that’s not acceptable, OtherMods; let me know and I’ll ban myself forthwith.)

CountZero

I wouldn’t wear them anywhere. If I’m out walking, if it’s warm I wear shorts, which are normally some sort of camo pattern to hide any dirt they pick up, and if it’s cold, I wear full length ex-military combat trousers, also camo of some sort, for the same reason, disguise mud, green stuff off trees, grass, etc.
    Buggered if I’m going to pay silly money for something that looks like they’re intended for a bricky when I can get some comfy trousers with plenty of pockets for a fraction of the price.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wear Black Diamond climbing trousers for casual, although you wouldn’t have a clue they were outdoor pants unless you were familiar with the brand.
    To the OP…no no no no no

JulianA
    Free Member

Kind offer, Drac, but I shall decline!

But if that’s your penchant you carry on {smiley}!

JulianA
    Free Member

Some good looks there, Cougar.

Like the first pic with the bow tie – very dapper.

Michael Portillo and Paul Atterbury are fine style examples!

Drac

Buggered if I’m going to pay silly money for something that looks like they’re intended for a bricky when I can get some comfy trousers with plenty of pockets for a fraction of the price.

Less than a £10?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Black walking trousers for work, Nov – March, walking shorts or mtb baggies the rest of the time. Mind you, I work for an ” outdoor” company….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, ‘Do trousers matter?'”

“The mood will pass, sir.”

JulianA
    Free Member

I was hoping you would be along, CFH. I thought you might have a comment to make and, true to form…!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I refrained from passing critique on your own sartorial choices, Julian, as you may have noticed. Some things are best left unsaid.

😉

lunge

No, no, no no, no. Plain black ones you may be able to get away with but 2 tone? Absolutely not.

JulianA
    Free Member

I don’t recall much reticence from a man who ‘happened to be sporting les pantalon rouge’ on a thread about ‘meat socks’, CFH…

‘Portilloesque’ was one of your epithets, I seem to remember! (’twas a compliment in my book).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Young Master CFH was sporting pantalons rouges today, and damned dashing he looked too! 😉

As an aside, there’s a girl in one of the photos on LAMFRT that I am fairly sure I used to, well, erm, know. As it were.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Walking trousers as casual trousers’ is closed to new replies.