Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Walking 'stuff'
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

No1 Son wants to walk up Pen y Fan at Christmas, this is apparently a ‘thing’, the easy way, thank god. I’m prepared to spend a bit because we don’t really have a hobby we can share, he can ride to a decent level for a 10 year old, but doesn’t love it, and there’s no way I’m going to start indoor rock climbing and this seems to be sort of like the two.

I know that for experienced walkers/climbers it’s a sort of trail centre type thing, sign-posted and sanitised, but what sort of kit do you need? I’ve got riding shoes, endless supply of base layers and a riding jacket with a hood – but I suspect if I rock up wearing my Shell-Toed Adidas classics, a pair of jeans and a riding jacket I’ll suffer. What do you wear on your legs for example? Cotton is a nightmare of course, so jeans are out – but I don’t fancy wearing my riding shorts.

footflaps

Minimum kit would be:
    – Map + compass
    – head torch + whistle
    – bivvy bag

Clothing wise, I normally hike in synthetic shorts, trainers (approach shoes), windproof top over a base layer.

Waterproof jacket, trousers and gloves in the rucksack.

Camelbak and bars

reformedfatty
    Free Member

The easy route (Storey Arms) is a positive bimble. I’ve seen variations in level of kit from onesies and trainers to these weird blokes in camo kit carrying a house on their back.

No magic in what to take. Walking boots, gloves, beanie, waterproofs, wear base layers, carry warm kit for when you stop.

As the main path is mostly big slabs of rock keen an eye out for ice if its actually cold, avoid by walking around on the grass / dirt.

martinhutch

Somewhat condition-dependent at that time of year.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyQB734ngGI[/video]

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What do you wear on your legs for example?

I have a pair of North Face (because I go on amazzzzing adventures) trousers, they weren’t especially expensive their main benefit is they keep the wind at bay and dry quickly if they get wet. Main thing is getting the underwear sorted so that you don’t literally get your knickers in a bunch. Long legged undershorts work best for me, anything that isn’t going to cause any rubbing or irritation, cyclists thighs aren’t your friend once you start walking!

Most things depend on the weather, Christmas could be all sorts of conditions. On a mild day your riding jacket would be fine, actually I’d say it would have to get fairly extreme weather before it would be detrimental to your day.

Base layers, I expect what you’ve already got is all good.

My preference for winter footwear is leather boots, but I’m probably unusual in that respect. Modern fabric boots are very good and tend to be a bit lighter than the leather alternative.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Boots which fit. Sizes vary, some are wider than others, so try them on preferably someplace that has a some pretendy “rough ground” to walk on – go outdoors normally do and my local outdoorsy shop is tiso which also has. Big enough for chunky socks to be comfy.
    Rucksack – check it out for comfort and adjustability. A day bag with a hydration bladder is great and won’t break any banks

P-Jay
    Free Member

So..

pair of these (providing they fit)

Shoes

Pair of these

Strides

Howies base, MTB mid layer and jacket.

Camelback

Compass, map, kendlemint cake and a woolly hat and I’m ready to go forth and claim the outdoors as mine?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Decathlon do some good cheap stuff if you have one nearby.

Walking trousers, like cycling shorts don’t have seams in places that rub, they’re also made of layers, mine have an inner, a mid layer and an outer which keeps them warm most of the year and cool in summer.

Above the cheapest level the Karrimoor boots at sports direct are pretty good. I’ve walked through several soles and never had the upper or waterproof membrane go first.

Other than that, map, compass, whistle and seasonally appropriate emergency gear. In summer that could just be an emergency bivi bag, in winter at least one extra layer top and bottom, dry hats and gloves.

dknwhy

Head to your nearest decathlon and get whatever fits your budget.
    My lad walked it when he was 6. It’s a fairly easy, steady walk from the Storey Arms. Can be blustery at the top as you crest the ridge.
    Enjoy!

Edit:just seen your links. Ditch the shoes in favour of some mid ankle boots (waterproof). Wouldn’t bother with karrimor either. I’ve had a couple of pairs and they fall apart. At least with the cheaper stuff at decathlon you have a 2 year guarantee to rely on.

Moses

As the suggestions above, but keep an eye on the weather when you go.
    I’ve twice turned back from climbing Pen-y-Fan from the north side, when the weather turned nasty. Once was at New Year with driving sleet, another in March. Another friend broke his ankle on the walk up, also from the north route.

Cougar

Minimum kit would be:
    – Map + compass

… and the ability to use them.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/resources/map-reading/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Walking 'stuff'’ is closed to new replies.