• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Walking Shoes Vs Trail Running Shoes
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Any thoughts on buying a good set of trail running shoes and using them as summer walking shoes? If so, whats worth considering?

I’m not keen on dedicated walking shoes, I find them hot, and a bit uncomfortable, and heavy (I’ve tried a couple of different makes)

In the winter I wear a pair of leather Lowa walking boots that are superb, but just too big and hot for the summer.

I like the lightness of trail running shoes, the cushioning and the trainer feel.

Will I die?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Sorry mods, wrong forum.

whitestone
    Free Member

Outside winter months I only ever use fell running or trail shoes when out on the fells. I’ve even used them when there’s been snow on the ground – H&S went ballistic!

orangespyderman

Will I die?

No – it’ll be fine. Makes perfect sense, and it’s more than good enough unless you want crampons.

finbar
    Free Member

I do quite a bit of both fell running and walking, and I much prefer the increased rigidity of a walking shoe for walking in. But if you like the trainer feel, have at it.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, have to say I agree, nervously used my Inov8 trail runners for the first time on a 7 munro day in Lochaber the other weekend (with a slightly heavier than average rucsac also).

Apart from my choice of socks (I wore thin running socks, would have preferred something with a slightly thicker sole) I had absolutely no issues with them, I went over on my ankle once or twice but between the terrain, my fatigue at the end of the day, and the fact that I do that anyway with ‘proper’ boots, I wouldn’t pin that on the shoes.

I had bought some calf length thin Sealskinz for any boggy approaches as I’m still not man enough to squelch about in wet shoes all day but happily that wasn’t necessary last weekend! 8)

BadlyWiredDog

You’ll be fine. They might suffer if you have a thing for scree slopes, but it depends on the individual shoe model. You’ll probably find them less durable than more solid walking shoes. When inov8 first emerged, there was a lot of muttering about their longevity when used for walking.

There are some ‘walking’ shoes around that have a trail running feel, Salomon worth a look, Salewa do a nice pair, KEEN has a new thing called the Vari-something-or-other. Avoid waterproof membranes and linings look for mesh uppers.

Brand choice is all about fit. Go try some on would be my advice and see what fits you.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I regularly use either Salomons or Innov 8

(Interchange with scarpa walking shoes too!!!)

Dudie
    Free Member

Have started to do a lot of summer walking in my Brooks Cascadias, since moving on to something else for running duties. Much prefer the Cascadias to boots or stiff shoes – light, comfortable (for me) and decent grip. Not dead yet.

dragon
    Free Member

Do it, much better for summer walking IMO as they are much lighter. Just beware some trail running shoes offer very little in the way of toe protection, as I found out the hard way when I kicked a rock coming down off Lochnagar, blimey that hurt (Saucony Peregrines). Some of the Salomons do offer more protection but that comes at the cost of a slightly heavier shoe e.g. X-Ultra of 3D XA Pro.

Worth looking fro trainers with a rock plate or similar, to stiffen up the shoe and give some protection.

BadlyWiredDog

Any thoughts?

I’ve used them. It’s a nice shoe, plenty of toe wiggle room – ie a more generous forefoot fit than most inov8s because feet tend to swell on long runs – and cushioned by inov8 standards, but it all depends on your foot shape.

curto80
    Free Member

Yeah they are great for walking, really comfortable in comparison to boots.

Salamon sense pro or Saucony peregrines

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve always been a big boots advocate, mainly for the ankle support and waterproofing, but I’ve walked the Yorkshire 3 peaks about 8 times in the last couple of months in a pr of Inov8 Terroc. Only issue has been that I had to put some thicker insoles in as the base of my feet were starting to hurt. as said above, I suspect they won’t last anything like a proper boot, but it’s all been good otherwise. I should point out that all the paths up there are now fully sanitised, so there’s no reason to need boots.

mrmo
    Free Member

I just use whatever La Sportivas trail running shoes i can find, the last just seems to suit my feet.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Google can confuse things, Approach shoes? Didn’t even know that was a thing!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Approach shoes are what I have (damn marketing people) basically walking shoes with a bit more flex. My Salomons lasted 7 years before soles wore out (no more tread) and now I have North Face bought on sale. I also have a pair or boots with more ankle support but for 90% of what I do the approach shoes are fine. Last time I we t to Lake District as I knew we’d not walk over 3hrs and no rocky scrambling I didn’t even take the boots.

BadlyWiredDog

If you want walking shoes that are pretty much based on trail-running shoe technology take a look at Salomon’s X Ultra range – shoes like this – they look and feel like trail-running shoes, but slightly more walk orientated. Work really well ime.

Technically ‘approach shoes’ were originally developed for climbers walking into technical routes and/or scrambling and/or a climbing lifestyle statement. Some make really comfortable walking shoes, many don’t. In general, the better they are for climbing and scrambling, the less comfortable they are for all-round use. Probably…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Inov Ultras

Happy with mine for general xc running … will give to a walking review after this weekend… as I’m doing Skiddaw, Scafell Pike and Helvellyn on Saturday and I’m using my 290s

I come more from a running background so bear in mind I can’t compare them to walking boots.

I agree with the above, they have a big toe box and look clunky when you look down at your feet but are surprisingly light and nimble to run in… not bad damp proofing as well for trainers, wet grass or the odd puddle aren’t a problem.

gren
    Free Member

My Salomon XA Pros have lasted me years and I wear them for anything outdoors. I even used them when I started mountain biking (paired with some V8s).

The uppers still look perfect but the soles are pretty much smooth now. Waiting to catch a bargain and will buy the same again.

BadlyWiredDog

The uppers still look perfect but the soles are pretty much smooth now. Waiting to catch a bargain and will buy the same again.

XA Pros have a pretty shallow tread out of the box, it’s one of the areas where the X Ultra hikers are significantly better, though I guess if you avoid softer/slippery/muddy stuff, it’s not a problem.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve got some Salomon Synapse shoes….not sure whether or not they’d class as pure fell running shoes tbh (I don’t run so wouldn’t know!) They’re great though…..unbelievably comfy on long days in the mountain. I hiked Mt Toubkal in them last week, so day two way a hard 3 hour slog up to the summit, then all the way back to the nearest town….so 8/9 hours in total, with about 8kgs in my rucksack too….had no issues whatsoever.

If it’s dry ID always choose them over my boots.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Walking Shoes Vs Trail Running Shoes’ is closed to new replies.