Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Walking shoes that don't look like walking shoes…
  • blisterman1962
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wear them casually (eg to the pub) but then I wouldn’t wear any shoes of this ilk. In fact I dislike anyone who wears hikey shoes trail running shoes in non outdoors non trail running environments. But that’s just me.

duncancallum

Cough clarks or they just too middle aged?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

What the hecks going on with the heel on those Clarks? Bizarre

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Cough clarks or they just too middle aged?

If by middle age you mean orthopedic awful, then yes 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The reviews on those adidas suggest that they are not too well built.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

These?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I fear I am not high roller enough for those.

chewkw
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member
    Sisyphus wore these ones:

LA SPORTIVA
    Boulder X Approach Shoe

WAS £100.00 £55.00

That is a very good price if you can get the size. They are good quality as I checked them at my local outdoor shop recently.

epicyclo

My wife has this problem too – with me.

I won’t wear any shoes that aren’t comfortable and that I can’t just head off up the hill on, ie I expect the shoes I put on in the morning or wear up town to also be able to go squelching through a bog, scrambling up some rocks, or ride my mtb. Hence I wear walking boots or Keen sandals most of the time.

She’d like me to wear leather shoes. The problem is that anything that looks reasonable (to her eyes) is far too tight. Maybe I spent too long running around barefoot when I was a kid, but I have flat wide feet and prefer to have them unconstrained.

slowoldman

Hmm:

BadlyWiredDog

Quick Q for the Haglofs fans. Are they true to size?

I reckon so. I’m a 43 in most brands and a 43 in Haglofs. They also come with half decent insole/footbeds fwiw. Used to be Sole ones, but are now own-brand, but still pretty good.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just back from GoOutdoors and they had sod all in my size. Looks like it’s internet order ahoy.

Got a nice pair of shorts tho….

Superficial
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wear them casually (eg to the pub) but then I wouldn’t wear any shoes of this ilk. In fact I dislike anyone who wears hikey shoes trail running shoes in non outdoors non trail running environments. But that’s just me.

Touché.

I seem to have hit a nerve. I just mean that pretty much all shoes designed for walking look a bit dorky when you’re not doing that activity. For the same reason, I don’t wear my red roadie SPD shoes when I’m out and about. Well, that and they’re basically impossible to walk in.

Mackem

I’ve got Salomon OrthoLite shoes, comfiest I’ve ever had, great for walking. Dont look like walking shoes, but they still do look horrible. I dont care, they are soooo comfy.

Mackem

Actually, the latest versions of them dont look bad.
    http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/xa-chill-2-canvas.html?article=379896

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I just mean that pretty much all shoes designed for walking look a bit dorky when you’re not doing that activity.

I am on a mission to find a relatively non-dorky pair.

So far I have been mildly unsuccessful, I guess the market for those seeking sensible footwear that looks like an Adidas Busenitz is quite small.

scotroutes

Most of my shoes are designed for walking, even the cycling ones are a compromise. I guess there must be a (very small?) market for shoes designed to be put on a desk, or only for sitting down but it must be a pain swapping them on and off every time you want to go somewhere.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Not sure it was me who originally said that quote, scotroutes.

scotroutes

😆

Superficial
    Free Member

Most of my shoes are designed for walking, even the cycling ones are a compromise. I guess there must be a (very small?) market for shoes designed to be put on a desk, or only for sitting down but it must be a pain swapping them on and off every time you want to go somewhere.

Well, since we’re deliberately misunderstanding: Amongst the myriad of non walking shoe options we have ice skates, ballet shoes, snowboarding boots, tap dancing shoes, roller skates, ski boots, driving shoes, golf shoes, pressure ulcer prevention boots. Some shoes are even, apparently, designed with the only real function of looking non-dorky. That’s probably not even an exhaustive list, but let’s not* turn this into a thread about different shoe genres.

I think you know what I meant.

* 😉

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just a ‘I’m stuck on hold on the phone bored so thought I would update this thread’ post.

Tried the Haglof Rocker GTs – High instep didn’t suit

Tried the Haglof Vertigos – Really wanted to like them as super comfy, but rubbed a bit when walking, even tho size was right. Still tempted to pick them up anyway, and hope they break in, but at £126, it’s a bit of a risk

Tried assorted Merrels, but not a fan really.

Tried some Adidas Terrex Swift R….just confirmed I do not have Adidas feet. 9 too tight across forefoot, 9.5 oddly too ‘loose’.

Got some Salomon XA Pros being delivered in a bit from Amazon, so will see how I get on with those.

I hate buying shoes. I will be happier when we can all get our feet swapped for ISO approved sizes so all footwear fits ok. I also think I am on the verge of being banned from Gooutdoors after being in there for an hour last night….I know how to have fun.

mogrim

I’m just shocked at the apparent confusion on this thread between Sisyphus and Zeno.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

just confirmed I do not have Adidas feet. 9 too tight across forefoot, 9.5 oddly too ‘loose’.

seen that comment elsewhere as well

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m just shocked at the apparent confusion on this thread between Sisyphus and Zeno.

Go on…

user-removed
    Free Member

The other great thing about Salomon trainers is the speedfit lacing system – just shuffle yer feet in and yer done. I only ever pull the laces tight if the going gets a bit iffy.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Good choice, can’t fault the Salomon XA Pro, on my 3rd pair , always pick up when reasonably cheap, never paid over £60. Wear for just about everything.

mogrim

Go on…

I’m getting to it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The North Face Litewave GTX fit the bill for me. Bloody marvelous, use them for everything. I have no fashion sense though so for all I know I could be embarrassing myself further (If gave a hoot):

nant
    Free Member

Used to work in a Cotswold. Salomons were comfortable. Tend to be narrow at the heel and come up small. But be quite wide around the toes. So always went half a size bigger on those.

Meindl Respond GTX was quite nice, quite stiff. Looks like a trainer, Quite a lot of support around the heel and arch. Medium width all round.

NorthFace Litewave/Hedgehog GTX- lacking any sort of arch, inner sole comfort. But the actual shoes were very good. Had to buy some other inner soles to fit in these.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Agree. I have a pair of Fellraisers, and the lacing, as well as being able to tuck it all in the tongue pocket, is very handy.

I just they did a more subdued design.

Edit: Although they do a leather version of the Ultra 2s apparently

mogrim

The other great thing about Salomon trainers is the speedfit lacing system

I’ve only had one pair of Salomon, and the thing I most hated about them was the stupid speedfit lacing. Much prefer proper laces – you can change the lacing pattern, for starters.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Of course, not everyone likes the lacing system….like this guy ^^^^ 😀

mogrim

Of course, not everyone likes the lacing system….like this guy ^^^

😀

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m getting to it.

You’re so close…almost there!

mogrim

You’re so close…almost there!

Twice as close now as I was before, but still…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Hmmm. This thread is quite the paradox.

always pick up when reasonably cheap, never paid over £60.

I managed to get some of the GTX ones from Amazon for £75. Probably don’t need goretext, but seemed a good price. Here’s hoping they fit ok. Gone .5 size up as seems to be the common wisdom with Salomon.

BadlyWiredDog

Tried the Haglof Vertigos – Really wanted to like them as super comfy, but rubbed a bit when walking, even tho size was right. Still tempted to pick them up anyway, and hope they break in, but at £126, it’s a bit of a risk

I’ve been through about four pairs of these now. They feel a little solid when new, but break in nicely with use.

Mackem

Is it fair to point out that these shoes all actually look like walking shoes?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Totally fair. Also totally fine to point in the direction of what appears to be a mythical shoe that is good for walking that doesn’t look like a walking shoe.

Personally, I have accepted defeat, and growing a beard as we speak, to accompany my new footwear.

I’ve also given up, on punctuating; correctly it seems.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Walking shoes that don't look like walking shoes…’ is closed to new replies.