Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Walking shoes that don't look like walking shoes…
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Might be looking for moon on a stick here, but does anyone have any recommendations for shoes/trainers that can be worn casually, say with jeans/shorts, are super comfy for extended distances/wear, but don’t look like they should come with a free beard, compass and walking poles.

I’ve looked at a few, but they either seem to be huge, or very specific like the Merrell Moab Vents, which while ok looking, will be no good splashing round a wet urban environment.

I usually wear skate shoes, as a delusional white male nearing 40, as they offer decent comfort etc. But thinking a proper pair of walking-ish shoes might be needed.

BadlyWiredDog

Depends partly on your foot shape – different brands fit different people – and what you think looks good. I like Haglofs Vertigo shoes as a solid, durable option, I basically live in them, but they may fall into your ‘free beard, compass and walking poles’ category.

Merrell do a massive range of stuff if you like their styling and fit. Ditto KEEN, though they look, erm, ‘distinctive’. Adidas Outdoor do some okay stuff, they also own Five.Ten. Oh, and Five.Ten themselves. But it’s really subjective, I’d go and check out a decent outdoors shop and see what they have that you like and fits you.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ecco do some nice comfy old man shoes. Some look like walking shoes. Some don’t.
    They are really comfy though.

matt_outandabout

I have had some nice skate shoe like Teva’s and Patagonia’s – both super comfy.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Meindl?
    Melbourne GTX for outdoors lite, or Cambridge GTX for a conventional looking walking shoe.

footflaps

Used these for a 3 day hike in the lakes in March, were most excellent

jimjam
    Free Member

Brooks Cascadia.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Brooks Cascadia.

Trying to stay away from out and out running shoes. As looking for something relatively normal looking…otherwise I would just walk round in my Inov8 Trailrocs or Salomon Fellraisers 😉

Those 5-10s look kinda of what I am after, what model are they, Footflaps? The Haglofs BWD linked, look a bit too focused. I should add the compass/beard comment is not meant to be a disparaging one. More a comment on my own personal hangups about what is cool or not.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

jimjam
    Free Member

As a delusional male nearing 40 myself I’m intrigued and confused.

callmetc
    Free Member

Get some timberland boots.

Or Adidas do some. I have a set that are super comfey when on your feet all day.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Or Adidas do some. I have a set that are super comfey when on your feet all day.

Model?

Although me and Adidas have an odd relationship when it comes to sizing. 9 are always a bit too tight, but 9.5 seem to be too loose/long.

But willing to give anything a crack.

slowoldman

I’m with BadlyWiredDog. Haglof Vertigos. They are my normal everyday footwear. Expensive but very well made and tough. They will stand resoling when the time comes.

BadlyWiredDog

I should add the compass/beard comment is not meant to be a disparaging one. More a comment on my own personal hangups about what is cool or not.

That’s the thing, everyone’s idea of what’s cool varies, though I don’t think the Vertigo is very different from the Five.Ten shoe you like – I think it’s a Camp 4 btw 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THose 5 tens are hideous; you could never wear those with jeans/shorts and be taken seriously.

Merrell Annex would probably work, providing you get them in a plain colour such as brown or black, rather than the multi coloured options them come in.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Adidas Terrex are possibly another option; again, choose your colours wisely.

Riofer
    Free Member

Another vote for adidas terrex. More trainer than shoe but gore tex and super comfy perfect urban to rural all day shoe

user-removed
    Free Member

Salamon gtx 3D Pro (come in black as well as hideous neon colours). Look like pub trainers but I did the WHW in mine and have always used them for day to day wear too.

jimplops

Adidas terex here too, second pair worn daily, just about get 12months out of the soles.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Salamon gtx 3D Pro

Yes. In black they’re just about acceptable but send subtle signals to others that you’re very probably an outdoorsy type and not to be messed with lightly.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got some Salomon gtx Speedcross. They’re basically trail running shoes but they’re dead comfy for walking and they look like trainers not walking boots.

I wouldn’t wear them casually (eg to the pub) but then I wouldn’t wear any shoes of this ilk. In fact I dislike anyone who wears hikey shoes in non outdoors environments. But that’s just me.

WillH

I have some of these Merrells:

Very comfy, light, and gore-tex lined so good for wet days, and don’t need to be worn with red socks.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Adidas Terrex are possibly another option; again, choose your colours wisely.

There’s about 20 types….any ones in particular?

Edit: Actually these ones don’t look too bad. Bit overkill on the tread, tho.

Thanks for all the suggestions/sartorial advice so far.

I wouldn’t wear them casually (eg to the pub) but then I wouldn’t wear any shoes of this ilk. In fact I dislike anyone who wears hikey shoes in non outdoors environments. But that’s just me.

You actively dislike them? Tough crowd 🙁

I am kind of at the point where the health of my feet is more important than looking superfly.

….the kids still say superfly, right?

user-removed
    Free Member

In fact I dislike anyone who wears hikey shoes in non outdoors environments. But that’s just me.

I have to walk through two fields and a wood to get to my local…

dudeofdoom

Err flat feet peeps like hikey boots because of the arch support 🙂

arcing
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Haglofs Rocker GT. Super comfortable, gortex and good for walking. I really like the look of them, definitely not too “walkies”

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Adidas Terrex Swift R in black/red look fairly subtle, and a decent price here (although I don’t know about the site/company) :

http://www.clan-designs.co.uk/adidas-outdoor-mens-terrex-swift-r-goretex-trail-running-shoe-blackred-p-345.html

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

In fact I dislike anyone who wears hikey shoes in non outdoors environments. But that’s just me.

I tried some Clarks goretex things that looked like normal shoes (whichis pretty difficult for Clarks stuff) but ended up with loaded of knee/leg pain as they didn’t have any support. Back to my geeky looking Merrells and everything was OK again.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m currently on a pair of Mountain Warehouse something or other, maybe Lockton. Fairly nondescript chunky brown/grey shoe, a bit heavy for running (my original aim was a running shoe I could wear everyday) but pretty good for walking at that (very modest) price point.

Northwave do similar if you want to spend more, I used to have a pair of hedgehogs (which were ok for running) but they were a bit more garish when it was time to re-buy.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Those 5-10s look kinda of what I am after, what model are they, Footflaps?

They’re the Camp Four. They’re a multi sport shoe. You might not be able to buy that design anymore cos it’s quite a few years old, I think they’ve changed it. I had a pair of the above same as Footflaps and they fell apart over a couple of years, but maybe I didn’t look after them or just got unlucky. I wouldn’t buy another pair anyway.
    I’m currently on some haglofs and they feel and look much more solidly built. Can’t help on the fashion advice tho, that’s more of a personal thing

Maybe have a look at the Scarpa approach shoes, but as said you need to try on. As some are wide and some are narrow. Scarpa have a massive range tho to suit all tastes and styles. Some of them may not be suitable for hiking tho and may just be a pure crag approach trainer

scotroutes

Black Salomon XA Pros here too. Subtle enough not to upset the delicate flowers that might judge you based on your choice of footwear. I basically live in XA Pros, in a range of colours. Strangely enough I find them a bit lacking in tread and stiffness for actual hillwalking though.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Haglöfs getting a lot of love then. Apparently owned by Asics. Going to pop down my local GoOutoors later and see what they have. So far, just looking on net. It’s looking like approach shoes type things are what I am looking for.

Subtle enough not to upset the delicate flowers that might judge you based on your choice of footwear.

I am my own harshest critic.

and a decent price here (although I don’t know about the site/company) :

http://www.clan-designs.co.uk/adidas-outdoor-mens-terrex-swift-r-goretex-trail-running-shoe-blackred-p-345.html

ProTip: Never order anything from that website.

matt_outandabout

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Go outdoors have a good range, I think they have haglofs, scarpa, 5:10 etc.

Those Patagonia look like they’re from the Alan partridge collection

martinhutch

At least you have the right username 🙂

I’ve been wearing ‘approach’ shoes pretty much all the time for well over a decade. I got to a point where I couldn’t be bothered sacrificing comfort for appearance, and I’ve never had any funny looks around here.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Quick Q for the Haglofs fans. Are they true to size?

FWIW I am 9 in Inov8 Trailroc and X-Talon, 9.5 in Salomon Speedcross, 9 in casual Nikes, 9 in Berghaus etc.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That’s because you live in Skipton, not Notting Hill.

DrJ

Lowa make walking shoes that look like normal shoes that your dad wears. I have a pair and they are super comfy which are still why I continue to wear them even though I have not got a matching Cardigan.

BTW. Can you wear approach shoes for leaving somewhere or do you need a different pair for that?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

BTW. Can you wear approach shoes for leaving somewhere or do you need a different pair for that?

You can never get to your destination, just approach it.

Sisyphus wore approach shoes apparently.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Quick Q for the Haglofs fans. Are they true to size?

I’ve got the Crag (not made anymore) and as far as I’m concerned, yes normal size. Although I’m an 8 and have 8.5 as they recommend going up a half size, but I have to really pull in the laces so think 8 would have been OK.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Walking shoes that don't look like walking shoes…’ is closed to new replies.