Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Walking route map for Glenridding around Helvellyn
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Any one got one I can download to guide me on the OS map I have, Im rubbish at plotting routes. Cheers. 😳

lowey

My favorite was to walk Helvellyn is start Gelnridding, kepple cove, cross the old dam, ascend north west ridge of Catstycam, ridge to Helvellyn summit (swirral Edge), then descend Striding Edge, Follow the wall to Birkhouse Moor and descend the wall to Lanty's tarn on Keldas for a classic lakeland view of Ullsewater, then descend into Glenridding.

I can send you an MMO if you have memory map ?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Sorry for the kind of hijack – Lowey, used the Coniston/Walna Scar route from your fotopic site the other week, what a great ride! The "Rockiest Bridleway in the World" descent will stick in my mind for a while.
    Thanks 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Hi Lowey,

Not got "memory map" all new to me !!!

May look into getting it, I suppose you use it with a hand held GPS or palmthingy.

Going up there for four days with the better half walking (no bikes allowed :cry:) so need some routes, based at Ambleside but got a car to drive to routes, will have to use the owd map and compass i suppose 🙄

firestarter
    Free Member

lowey im getting wed at inn on the lake in a few weeks and planning that walk the day after subject to weather 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The "Rockiest Bridleway in the World" descent

do you mean Walna Scar itself or the one down to Seathwaite ? I nominate the DH from Burnmoor Tarn to Wasdale:

lowey

Anna…. your welcome. Sadly my Fotopic site has now been suspended, so I have moved all the routes over to flickr. The bastards.

KKF, its a dead easy route to follow with a map and compass. The real benefit is descending Striding Edge, you are generally going against the flow of humanity.

Anna-B
    Free Member

The Walna Scar descent was great too, but this is the RBitW

I think it did go to Seathwaite…. either way mine wins SFB!

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah that's the bit from Stephenson Ground down to Seathwaite innit? It's great! Climbing all the way up Walna Scar from Seathwaite isn't, however.

What's RbitW by the way?

Anna-B
    Free Member

First time I'd carried my bike up a mountain grumm, interesting experience! Not the last time in the Lakes though. Rockiest Bridleway in the World.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

either way mine wins SFB!

except I can actually clear that one but have never ridden down all the way to Wasdale :o)

grumm
    Free Member

First time I'd carried my bike up a mountain grumm,

I pushed quite a bit of it, but I was quite pleased that I managed to ride all the way to the top from where the path through the mines comes in from the right.

JohnHunt
    Free Member

Hi all,

I did a route from Gelnridding up to the hut with group of people from a club in York. The ride starts out on OL5 but quickly goes on to OL4.

j.

lowey

Here you go KKF. Click to see the original and click "all sizes" to make bigger.

lowey

Mick, Congratulations mate… Have a great day. Superb place to get hitched.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Cheers Lowey,

Some good info on your site, you up Rivvy tonite?

I think all my mate have injuries or cant make it. Maybe a solo ride 😳

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers mate 🙂 only 19 days to go . Not allowed my bike this trip tho lol 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Walking route map for Glenridding around Helvellyn’ is closed to new replies.