Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Walking Round Llandegla
  • Coyote
    Free Member

I know this may sound a bit heretical but bear with me. Got family coming over from Canada and male half is a keen MTBer, female half, a keen hiker. It’s been suggested that we go out somewhere “together”. I’m thinking Llandegla for the riding but are there any decent hiking trails there?

tops5
    Free Member

Loads of walking trails around there. In the past my missus has come with me and took the dogs round whilst I rode.

Not sure about “decent” hiking though – it ain’t the Lakes or Snowdonia.Good place for twitchers though IIRC.

shmuk
    Free Member

Llandegla has some walking trails, but I certainly wouldn’t say they’re anything approaching proper hiking. Even ‘rambling trail’ would be an exaggeratin.

Think they’re fine for a gentle bimble around with the kids/dogs, but a keen hiker would be unimpressed.

In my opinion.

Depending where you’re based, I’d recommend heading up to Grizedale or Whinlatter. Decent hiking & riding.

RobHilton
    Free Member

How about Nant yr Arian? Nice riding, plenty of waling paths, great scenery and the kite feeding is well worth viewing up close.

iain1775
    Free Member

head up over the moors from Llandegla to Worlds End and the Horseshoe Pass
    Just because you park where there is a cafe, dosent mean you have to stay within the confines of the forest
    There is miles of good hiking to be had around that area, anyone who says its not even rambling is talking rubbish. Offas Dyke long distance footpath passes through the forest, it may not have scenery to rival the lakes but there is definatley no need to go to Whinlatter for a decent walk (Im assuming you suggested Llandegla as its reasonably local)
    Part of the Offas Dyke route can be done on the bikes too, its a bridleway boardwalk of railway sleepers type construction, kind of northshore esque in a way. To make it into a loop is cheeky though as strictly its a footpath past the radio masts so I wouldnt condone it (especially at the moment as lots of ground breeding birds that could get disturbed)

If instead of parking at llandegla you parked at Worlds End (the ‘P’ here) – http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=323250&y=348405&z=120&sv=323250,348405&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=820&ax=323250&ay=348405&lm=0

walkers have a choice of places to go, bikers can take the bridleway just to the north, into the forest (across previously mentioned raised boardwalk section) pick up the red route three quarters the way up the first fireroad climb, and easily retrace tyre tracks to meet back at the car

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Why not just head to the Lakes?
    Plenty of mazing riding to be had, and also amazing riding…

Theres more to life than trail centres….

I’m sure it was Dave ( Lowey) on here that said going to the Lakes and only doing Grizdale, was akin to going to a whore house, and only getting a kiss…

He’s right, you know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Walking Round Llandegla’ is closed to new replies.