Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • walking out of a job,
  • mrmo
    Free Member

don’t know why i am worrying, started a 6month job 2weeks ago, on friday got offered another job 5k more and permanent. Just not looking forward to telling the current boss i am going.

rs
    Free Member

i don’t know why either

Junkyard
    Free Member

wow hope you pull through your job woes, I will be thinking off you

ken_shields
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it. You’re on a 6 month contract. Just tell him straight that you’ve secured a perm job for more money and give him the opportunity to match it.

If he does you’ll have to decide which place you’d prefer to work at

mrmo
    Free Member

i think it is the temping for 15months and trying to keep any job since being made redundant. Allied to the fact that i am enjoying the current job and uncertain what the new one will be like.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and permanent

There’s your clue. Just explain that you needed a permanent position which offered you more job security. He/she has only themselves to blame if you’ve gone looking for a permanent position – maybe they’ll bear that in mind when they employ someone to replace you.

emma82
    Free Member

I can see why you’d feel a bit awkward, most people don’t generally like to let someone down but when it comes to jobs especially, you have to look out for number one. Just apologise, thank them and explain it’s nothing personal. Unless the current boss has been a knob, in which case it would be appropriate to tell him then lay a sneaky log behind the radiator in his office where it can’t quite be cleaned out completely. Nice reminder of you 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

your employer wouldn’t think bad of you for choosing to work elsewhere and you shouldn’t feel like you owe your current employer any loyalty as he/she wouldn’t think twice about getting rid of you if you weren’t performing. only advice would be to not burn your bridges if you do take the job and I second giving your current employer the chance to match what you’ve been offered unless you really don’t like where you are currently.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

first world problem

Ambrose

@Emma- do you speak from experience?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Best mate has recently moved jobs, proper grass is greener fail!! His old place did offer a match up but he decided to go for the new position. He didn’t sound happy when I spoke to him today as he was coming home after working the full bank holiday weekend again.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was in a similar position a little over 10 years ago.

I was working in Rossendale, 40 mile commute from home. Got made redundant but secured a new job in Sheffield, also 40 mile commute, within a week of the end of the previous employment. After 2 weeks of commuting to Sheffield & having nothing to do when I got there, despite lots of badgering my senior people, I still had very little work to do.

Out of the blue, I got an interview at Barnsley, 15 miles less of a commute.

Interview went well, got a second interview. Eventually an offer was forthcoming. More money (like, 25% more money). Less commute. shorter hours what’s not to like?

So after I’d been in the sheffield job for about 6 weeks I had the written offer from the Barnsley job. Went to my manager, told her I had a better offer nearer home. She was disappointed “we had big plans for you” (really? why didn’t you give me any f***ing work then?) but said I could leave at the end of the month. I still had 2 weeks of commuting to Sheffield & not having anything to do when I got there.

I’m still in Barnsley now 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

mrsconsequence
    Free Member

I’m in a job predicament at the moment – resigning from my job of two years tomorrow for a job that may not be there, and don’t have the written offer yet. My workplace won’t understand my need to move on.

Leaving any job whether it be a temp job or one I’ve done for years is always hard, but employers expect it – especially when they employ someone temporarily. Sod them! Take the permanent unless the current temp match it!

highclimber
    Free Member

resigning from my job of two years tomorrow for a job that may not be there, and don’t have the written offer yet.

do you have savings to help you through if you don’t get offered the job you’re waiting on? if not then this is a little silly! you won’t be able to claim JSA for a few months if it falls through!

Stoner
    Free Member

surely the distinction between temporary and permanent is semantic only.

A new “permanent” position does not accrue any substantial rights until 12months anyway.

mrmo
    Free Member

it may be semantics, but a job which is offered on the basis of permanent and a job which is offered on the basis of 6 months and that is that.

But the extra 5k would be nice.

Current job is 5miles across town ride and the new job 15miles, but involves the Sedgebarrow bypass…. a minor downer.

mrsconsequence
    Free Member

Highclimber – fear not, I have savings and know the benefits system (and have philconsequence). My work place is full of bullies making dangerous decisions so even if new job falls through, I can’t stay in my workplace any longer!

Woody
    Free Member

No need to worry or even feel guilty as I’m sure they would get rid of you without a second thought if it was beneficial to them. Works both ways.

Good luck in the new job

Junkyard
    Free Member

A new “permanent” position does not accrue any substantial rights until 12months anyway.

True, but it also does not have an end date.

emma82
    Free Member

Ambrose – no but I’ve wished I had the balls to do it a few times in the past !

monksie
    Free Member

If your real name is Emma, I’m guessing you’re going to spend a long time wishing you had the balls

Stoner
    Free Member

If you’re any good I would think most temp positions can be turned into permanent just as any permanent position can become very temporary very quickly….

Ones where you are contract funded like PHD lab monkeys etc are more finite temps though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

less the current boss has been a knob, in which case it would be appropriate to tell him then lay a sneaky log behind the radiator in his office where it can’t quite be cleaned out completely. Nice reminder of you

Hmmm my place has no radiators but it does have pc cases and air-vents…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

If it was the other way around, most employers would not have a problem with letting people go and loyalty soon gets forgotten.

Give them the chance to match it and if they don’t, wave ta ta.

Just make sure you have anything personal off the works PC/desk etc just in case they see their backside and want you out straight away (unlikley)

emma82
    Free Member

I confirm my real name to be Emma, therefore yes I will be wishing for a long time. Actually, if it happened I’d be a bit narked. I don’t think my other half would be too happy either. Perhaps a kipper behind the radiator instead for the OP incase he also is lacking in balls? Again, no personal experience but my best friend got expelled from secondary for doing this to the head of year on the last day of school before holidays. Apparently it smelled rather nice after a week 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘walking out of a job,’ is closed to new replies.