• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • walking out of a job
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Got a new job soon after redundancy earlier this year, i took it on knowing it would be temp to perm, the money at first was shit but would be ok once taken on perm. I was told 13 weeks then perm. The money covers the diesel and some of my living costs but i only took the job on the basis that i would get more after a few months, every week i am spending a little of my redundancy cheque to get by. Not happy but i accepted that to get a new job i could afford to do it.

All fine so far, but.

Asked a few weeks back what was happening and was told management meeting at end of month, so only 4 weeks late, but i am not convinced and think i am being taken for a ride.

Work load is stupid, it isn't actually possible to do the work i get in one day in one day, I don't mind working the odd hour to catch up if busy, but when your told your predecessor would come in at 6:30 and work through until 6 fairly regularly to catch up i am not feeling that i have had a busy patch.

Moving on the boss is a controlling micro-managing arse, so you land up having to consult on most things which just slows things up even more.

So whilst i am looking for work, and want out as soon as possible, wondering whether just walking out might be a better option, i wouldn't loose that much money, i wouldn't have the fuel costs for a start. I would also have more time to find a job i want to do.

Just wondering what other people would do?

Marin
    Free Member

It's money till you find something better which you will.
    Don't work over contracted hours and pull sickies when you get interviews then walk out.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

It always hard when you're in a job you know you hate and want to get out of, but feel obligated for one reason or another.
    If you really think you can get by without it and feel positive about prospects else where I'd say get out of it. But make sure you keep busy and proactive in acquiring a new job.
    If you have the slightest worries about not making ends meet then I'd say stay with it. Do your best within the job requirements, but don't give any more. Stress can lead to bad health etc. and will make you less likely/capable to be able to find a better job. If they don't like it they can fire you or re-negotiate your position.

vinnyeh

ime the most effective way of jobhunting is to make jobhunting your job, if that makes sense. Especially in a competitive market. Other's mileage may vary though- somebody asked a similar question and the consensus seemed to be that it looks better if you're still working while looking for another job.
    Might vary by industry though- what's the work?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Fxxk em, you're worth better

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You think they wouldn't leave you on the shitheap if things were tight?

emma82
    Free Member

I wouldnt ever recommend walking out of a job, apparently it is always easier to find work while in work but you have to consider your mental health so to speak. If it is unbearable and gets you down then you would be more than within your rights to leave but you may also then not find any work and that wont help. As said above, keep pro active about job hunting and stick with it for as long as you can. Do what you can within the working day or as much as you are willing to above and beyond that and keep your eyes peeled for a new job. hope something comes up for you soon!

Waderider
    Free Member

Walk.

MSP

Its an old fashioned view that its better to be in a job to find a job, employers know the way it works and that good people become unemployed as well.
    But it can take a long time to find the right job for you, maybe a couple of years and you can't be unemployed for that long, that may mean taking a job that isn't a perfect match, not one where you are treated like shit.

project
    Free Member

Walk, your boss sounds a prat,and to have the previous chap coming in at 6,30 and going home at 6.00pm is just stupid thats why he walked, or died, theyre treating you like a work slave.

What is the point of using your wage to pay fuel costs and just to survive,then topping up with redundancy cash.

WALK OUT SOONER THAN LATER.

allyharp

Sounds me like you've got nothing to lose by dramatically decreasing your time spent in work to something more like the contracted hours. If anyone asks why just give some off the cuff health or stress excuse. That'll give you more time to look for work, and the worst they can do is try and chop you, which is pretty much the other alternative for you right now anyway.

br
    Free Member

Work your hours, any more is overtime – what is the worse that could happen?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘walking out of a job’ is closed to new replies.