Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Walking jackets
  • samsibke
    Free Member

Hi I have been thinking of getting a jacket to cycle in on weekends and on trails.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t get something like a snug fitting walking jacket – along the lines of

http://www.extremepie.com/North-Face-Nimble-Jacket-Black/11724.htm

The obvious benefit being I can use it on and off the bike

thanks for any comments etc

Wozza
    Free Member

You might be fine but I find that unless I get a riding specific jacket it rides up at the back and the sleeves are too short.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above biking jackets have long arms and dropped backs. Some will be close fitting on the chest and roomy across the shoulders.

Plenty of multisport clothing in TK Maxx at non-hallucinatory prices.

matt_outandabout

Do you want softshell or waterproof?

samsibke
    Free Member

I wanted a soft shell.

I may try one and see what it feels like on the bike. I did not realise about the longer arms bit.

The back of TNF does come a little lower so I may be ok.

thanks for the input

matt_outandabout

In which case, try a few on. I have a Montane Dyno – I have lived in it this year! Light, comfy, snug fit, simple, works 80% of the time for windproof and waterproof, without being as sweaty as full on jacket.

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/montane-dyno-jacket/

LoveTubs
    Free Member

What ever you do do not buy a marmot with the gore-esque membrane stuck/glued/melted whatever to the outer shell coz they are shite.

I wish I’d never parted with my paramo (for walking).

I’ve used my gore….goretex bike wear jacket about 10 times now (which I hated paying £100 for…for a sheet of bloooody plastic)and it’s done the job well. TBH I’m sure alterntive and equally performing jackets are available….I think Barbour should bring back their really old Hacking jacket, the one without a liner….they pack right down to nowt and would be fashionable atm 😯 🙄

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Walking jackets’ is closed to new replies.