Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Walking in road cleats.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Are you meant to walk in road cleats?
    I ask as I’ve not long had my first set. I walk to the garage to collect the bike then perhaps a post ride snack. The yellow parts at the corner of the triangle have completely gone and what remains looks as if my dog has chewed it. (Shimano cleats)
    How do I prolong their life other than go barefoot off the bike?

scotroutes

In short, no.

The good news is that the Shimano cleats will continue to work fine when he rubber “non-slip” parts are goosed.

benji
    Free Member

You can get covers that clip over them, should be some on ebay or your favourite online retailer. They make walking safer as well, as cleats can get very slippy on the wrong floor.

scaredypants

speedplay frogs and mtb shoes here – great for walking steep sections 😳

Speshpaul

Have a little walk across some laminate flooring 😆
    mine on the left leg last about 2 mins

samuri
    Free Member

SPD’s

Why are they not standard on road bikes?

scotroutes

Because MTB cleats and pedals don’t work as well as road ones on a road bike?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Road shoes / pedals are for road racing. You wouldn’t put slick tyres on your car, don’t use road pedals unless you are racing.
    Riding your road bike on a sunday isn’t racing. Even with Strava running.

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano cleats normally wear well. How far are you walking?!

lotto
    Free Member

I would think no more than 30m off the bike per ride.

yorlin
    Free Member

This is why road jerseys have three pockets at the back – the left and right ones are for a pair of Crocs.

gears_suck
    Free Member

If you were a true roadie, you’d be floating with and air of superiority and your feet would never touch the ground.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mine do.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Riding your road bike on a sunday isn’t racing.

Which given that the majority of buyers of shimano road pedals won’t be racing, makes them a pretty dumb design for the majority of buyers.
    The A520 and A600 are much better choices imo. Hell the A520 costs half the price of Ultegras and still weighs less too.

butcher

When I went clipless I was concerned about all this talk of SPDs vs proper roadie pedals. Turns out my worries were unfounded. The SPDs are far superior to anything else I’ve ever worn on my feet whilst riding a bike. OK, I’ve worn some crap … but the fact is, they work. And they work very well. I’m sure road pedals have their benefits, but for general riding with the occasional plod in between, they’re great.

_tom_
    Free Member

Walking in them is ok, mine have held up ok. Driving in them is just scary though. And probably very stupid.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Road shoes / pedals are for road racing. You wouldn’t put slick tyres on your car, don’t use road pedals unless you are racing

😀

cynic-al – Member
    Mine do.

😆

TiRed

Cleat covers. In the back pocket. Look KEO cleats are made of cheese. I wear the left one down in three months. The only problem I’ve had is when I left my work shoes at home one day and had to wear the road shoes all day at work!

JoeG
    Free Member

yorlin – Member

This is why road jerseys have three pockets at the back – the left and right ones are for a pair of Crocs.

I always wondered why the LBS owner wore Crocs! 😆

davefarmer
    Free Member

Walk on your heels.
    Don’t put weight through your toes/cleats when walking about.
    Never twist in the toe/cleat area, they’ll last ages if you do these three things.

Or buy speed play zeros. The part of the cleat that touches the floor is metal, and not functional with regards pedal function at all.

Oh, and road pedals support your foot soooooo much better then MTB spd pedals. Way more comfortable on a long ride, and when riding hard, way more powerful feeling. Spds make your knees track poorly and feet tingle in comparison.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I use the look cafe cleats, the rubbers get chewed off eventually especially the outside left foot ( foot down at the lights) but there’s enough left for the life of the cleat to make walking to cafe or piss stop a lot easier.

asterix
    Free Member

Don’t walk in road shoes
    Do wear road shoes and cleats on a road bike – they support your foot so much better than SPDs
    Wear SPDs on off road or for when you need to walk a bit
    Not so hArd is it

IanMunro
    Free Member

Do wear road shoes and cleats on a road bike – they support your foot so much better than SPDs

Respectfully I disagree. My shoes have an inflexible sole – on a large contact area they don’t flex, on a small contact area they don’t flex. Both systems ultimately go through an axle, so any force applied either side of the axle line will cause the pedal to rotate rather than providing extra force irrespective of the size of the pedal platform.

Subjectively my foot’s never felt more supported on a road pedal.

IMO it’s far more about group tradition (much like baggies on mountain bikes) rather than any performance improvement.

wwaswas

I think one advantage road shoes have is that at any given price point they are slightly lighter. I’ve no idea idea if that means that acceleration of your legs is easier as a result because rotating mass on the end of the crank arm is reduced or not though.

I used Crank Bros Quattro pedals for a while on a road bike – meant I could use my mtb winter boots or road shoes. Their road cleat is very well protected and there’s a plastic ‘walking bit’ around it.

I didn;t notice a huge difference between road and mtb shoes to be honest.

atlaz
    Free Member

Walk on your heels.

My “best” shoes (Giro Factor) don’t have a replaceable heel bumper so walking on the heels would wear out my shoes quickly rather than walking on the cleats. Cleats are cheaper than shoes.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I walk on my heels with my road cleats but i’m questioning more and more why I have a different set up for my road bike (Look Keo) and my MTB (Time) as my MTB time cleats are every bit as good and secure as my road cleats. I’ve also noticed that the pro’s are more and more using small pedals without the large and thick cleats.

grahamg
    Free Member

Shops flogging road shoes to people (especially commuters) is the one thing that truly boils my piss – 95% are best off on spuds or similar. I only started using road shoes a proper in the last year for time-trialling, simply because a pair of carbon soled road shoes were cheaper and lighter than equivalent mtb shoes.

fasthaggis

But,but,but grahamq ,it’s all part of the must have the gear that the Pros use ( even if it’s just for pootling down to get the Sunday papers).

For most average Joes* ,SPDs will be perfect,but if they want to walk like a penquin and do an impression of Bambi on ice while trying to get across a wet cafe floor,go for it. 😆

posted by an average Joe 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve not had a problem with my Shimano cleats, outlasting LOOK by about a factor of 2. Walk barefoot to the garrage, gets the blood fowing to your feet walking accross cold gravel!

IMO it’s far more about group tradition (much like baggies on mountain bikes) rather than any performance improvement.

That’s not tradition, that’s just a recent influx of fatties and poor MX’ers hiding their shame.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As I said above, even tho Mr Smith apparently knows better, with a stiff enough soled shoe*, you won’t feel a difference between spd and road pedals.

*I don’t think many are made with spd fittings any more though..

fasthaggis

*I don’t think many are made with spd fittings any more though..

Al

Just bought a set of these to replace my old carbon soled XC shoes,
    Very stiff sole and they almost look like roadie shoes. 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think one advantage road shoes have is that at any given price point they are slightly lighter.

This was what I thought but yesterday I weighed my ultegra pd-6700 pedals (~80 quid) and my A520 pedals (~30 quid) and the A520 weighed 1g less.
    Didn’t go as far as comparing cleat and bolt weights though, which may then swing back to the Ultegra, but even so..

MrSmith
    Free Member

you won’t feel a difference between spd and road pedals.

I do, that’s because however stiff the shoe is be it road or MTB the difference is in the width of the cleat, and the amount of movement allowed once the cleat has worn slightly with MTB cleats there is a lot more movement.
    With carbon/composite soles on a MTB shoe you are less likely to get hotspots and they can often be too stiff but the difference is still there due to the smaller cleat interface.

njee20
    Free Member

Must say I notice a (small) difference using S-Works MTB shoes and Egg Beaters on the road vs S-Works road shoes and Keos. Only small, and actually found the ‘Beaters harder to get into weirdly, but they didn’t feel quite as supported.

SPD-SL cleats generally wear well though, surprised you’re wearing them out that fast. They’re far better than Looks!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I notice a (small) difference

Probably an important factor, small things really piss me off on the Road, my MTB can be hanging together by a thread with a saddle made of proqupine quills, and it not matter. I’m on my 4th saddle, 2nd bar tape*, and just ordered a different front mech as the current one doesn’t quite shift how I’d like (despite the fact I probably only shift once or twice in a ride!).

The slop (and numb toes) of MTB cleats peeves me off on the road bike. and for road biking to be fun the bike needs to be almost unnoticable IMO so you can get on with the serious business of pain/admiring the view/pain/thinking about cake.

*soon to be third, DSP seems to have lost it’s cushioning and started to peel off.

llama

yes but the thing about commuting with road shoes is ……..

Swapping pedals between commuting / going for a ride is a pita.

Stiff road shoes don’t cost much. Stiff MTB shoes do.

Sometimes the commute turns into a 3 hour road ride.

mrmo
    Free Member

i definitely notice, for me anyway, a huge difference between the atacs on the mtb and the iclic’s on the road bike. The big difference is foot rotation. All mtb pedals in my experence let the shoe wobble around the cleat. To be clear i am not talking float, rather the shoe can rotate in a vertical plane as the cleat is not supported very well and any support from the shoe soon goes as the sole wears.

It might be my knees, but they object strongly to this motion on the road bike.

kevin1911

I use SPD-SL pedals/shoes on my road bike and CB Candy’s on the MTB.

Have been considering moving back to MTB-style SPDs for the road bike though, mainly because I find the SPD-SLs too dangerous. At traffic lights and roundabouts, if I don’t get the pedal the right way round when setting off, I find my non-clipped foot has a tendency to slide off the pedal quite violently. I’ve nearly come off more than once now because of it!

I also don’t think I’d notice much difference between the two in terms of stiffness – carbon-soled shoes should give all the stiffness that’s needed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Numb toes? Stiffer shoes needed.

the difference is still there due to the smaller cleat interface.

Not with my shoes!

samuri
    Free Member

Aye. I road ride/CX ride far more than I do than mountain biking. I’m a long distance rider too, plenty of centuries+. Never, ever had a problem with standard MTB cleats and shoes.

I’m happy accepting that in an open marketplace there will be multiple types of cleats with differing marketing angles but having used all cleats available extensively, I can’t see any application I would want to use anything other than standard shimano SPD cleats.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Walking in road cleats.’ is closed to new replies.