Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Walking boots – Mammut MT Trail XT GTX and others – any experiences/tips?
  • wl
    Free Member

Looking for some new walking boots for day and multi-day walks, sometimes carrying heavy packs, typically in the Lakes (wet, rough, rocky). Anyone got any tips on good boots? Had Brasher Hillmasters which were good but the footbed is now totally different and the new version doesn’t fit me as well. Anyone tried the Mammut MT Trail XT GTX? What’s it like for grip and robustness? Or recommend me some others. Ta.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair for about 4 years. I’m very happy with them. Can’t fault them at all. I would suggest that they are probably a good bit wider than Brasher boots though.

lunge

In classic “recommend what you own” style, I have a pair of Zamberlan Cristallo GT’s which are comfortable, sturdy and reasonable waterproof. They may not fit your feet though…

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBOuy is a huge fan of them.
    Buys nothing else..

jam-bo

i ended up buying ones that weren’t even on my list as they were the ones that fitted properly.

wl
    Free Member

BlindMelon – cheers. Do you find the Vibram sole grips wet rock ok? I’ve read mixed reports. Scrambling down wet rocky stuff is a feature of some of my favourite routes.

lunge – ta for this. Might try a pair of those too.

Will be trying all boots on before buying – I know a good fit is crucial.

wl
    Free Member

bikebouy – the Mammuts? Cheers.

robw1
    Free Member

I’ve got some meindl Lhotse boots that I bought about 10 years ago and have used them loads from the lakes to the Himalaya. Absolutely amazing boots and still going strong. not sure they still do the Lhotse anymore but other very similar….Burma boots I think?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

BlindMelon – cheers. Do you find the Vibram sole grips wet rock ok?

Yes I’ve found them to be very stable, no problems at all. I’ve previously worked for Tiso so I got to try a lot of boots and these are my favourite by a distance.

P20

I’ve got the Mammut MT Trail XT GTX for winter use with crampons. They’re pretty stiff compared to my usual Scarpa Rangers, but comfortable and well made. I’ve hardly used them to be honest, I just default to the Scarpas. Will use them more hopefully more this winter

skink2020

Altberg army.

I’ve used a pair of these through the summer. They are very comfy, light and so far, proving to be tough.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, she even buys thier trainers and also the Cross Racing trainers for poncing around the woods with me.

Her boots have lasted well, way longer than my Haglofs (sole wore out) and I’m going to replace mine in a couple of months with Mammuts too.

muddy9mtb

Berghaus explorer trek gtx

fit like a trainer, super comfortable and still going strong after 5 years
    the misses had a pair for longer, they recently leaked through which we thought wasn’t right (they have been frequently re-waterproofed) contacted Berghaus and a new pair arrived without fuss…bonzer
    http://www.gaynors.co.uk/brands/berghaus/mens/footwear/dp-78807/sk-179751/mens-explorer-trek-gtx-boot?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productsearch&gclid=CjwKEAjwv9-gBRD5ofn2jd2N0UUSJACcdilsZ9SLmTzt1d6uUEULXw6lRP-vz4wp-6thZp3A_BTMiBoCu9nw_wcB
    this may not be the cheapest price

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for all these replies/links – some useful stuff. Although I’ve never really done it before, I like the idea of something I could stick crampons on for some winter walking.

paganman
    Free Member

If you’re up north try Backcountry.com in ilkley, they’re brilliant & will properly fit boots for you.
    I had some Altbergs I couldn’t get on with and after having them properly fitted they’ve been brilliant, all day long comfortable.

slowoldman

wl – Member
    Cheers for all these replies/links – some useful stuff. Although I’ve never really done it before, I like the idea of something I could stick crampons on for some winter walking.

Then you’ll need boots which are stiff enough. There are ratings B0, B1, B2, B3 which match crampon C0, C1, C2, C3
    B0/C0 means no crampons – the boot simply isn’t stiff enough. You might get away with a very lightweight crampon to stop you slipping around, but you run the risk of them simply falling off as the boots flex. B1/C1 is a stiffish boot and a strap on crampon – adequate for no-technical winter walking. Those Mammuts are apparently B1 so up to your requirements. Higher grades are stiffer boots for step in and/or rigid crampons intended for more technical work – climbing, mountaineering.

wl
    Free Member

paganman – cheers. Coincidentally I was in that shop the other day for the first time. Useful to know about their boot-fitting service should I need one.

slowoldman – very helpful, so thanks very much.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ones that fit, only contribution to make

Scapegoat

Meindl Borneo?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Walking boots – Mammut MT Trail XT GTX and others – any experiences/tips?’ is closed to new replies.