Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Walking boot laces which don't wear out….
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Anyone who has a pair of Shimano MT90 boots will be aware that the lace hooks are made of razor blades and will shred laces in a matter of days.

So, can anyone recommend a brand of boot laces that stand a chance of surviving a bit longer?

bruneep

However, as the filaments are fine, sharp metal edges on damaged eyelets or lace hooks may start to cut through the filaments and cause fraying of the lace over time

RustySpanner

Brasher.

lunge

File the hooks to round the edges somewhat?

devash
    Free Member

Scarpa laces seem to go on forever.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Kevlar?

Kevlar/Dyneema/Aramid is only strong along it’s length. It biggest weakness is that it does any chaffing. It’s very easy to cut through.

Jamie
    Free Member

Brasher

Do they even exist? Absorbed into Berghaus, no?

RustySpanner

True.

Shows how long mine have lasted.
    Bought the boots secondhand too.
    🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe berghaus are just as good. But I severely doubt it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Do they even exist? Absorbed into Berghaus, no?

They are part of the Pentland group. So are Berghaus, Speedo and Hunter. They also own 45% of JD Sports.

Think of them as a better quality Sports Direct.

Cougar

Of no use to you I know, but I make my own. In a past life I used to assemble soft play units, and I’ve got some of the cord left over from when we’d lash the netting to the frame. I don’t know what it is but it’s strong as hell and near-indestructible, makes brilliant shoelaces. Only caveat is it’s slightly slippery so you have to tie them properly.

Hell, if you give me the length needed I’ll stick a couple of offcuts in the post for you.

Scapegoat

Try paracord. There’s loads on the old ‘bay, including cheap Chinese fake stuff, but the real thing, cut to length and the ends sealed with a lighter there’s no stronger stuff out there. Send me your home address via email and I’ll stick a few metres in the post to try. My lad has it in all his walking, hunting and work boots. You need to search for 7 strand 550 and the word genuine in your eBay search terms.

Jamie
    Free Member

Time to Google paracord, as my Salomons eat laces 🙁

Hoff

I use this stuff from Decathlon

[/url]

tetchypete
    Free Member

Another vote for 550 Paracord here.

chewkw
    Free Member

That 550 Paracord is a good suggestion. I like. 😛

andyl
    Free Member

Wrap some tape around the hooks?

CountZero

550 Paracord, and smooth the edges of the lace hooks with a small round or half-round needle file.
    You can buy paracord with a reflective thread woven in for an extra safety element if you walk in the dark.
    I replaced all my tent guy-ropes with dayglo orange and reflective paracord, it’s excellent stuff.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Walking boot laces which don't wear out….’ is closed to new replies.