Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Walkers/hikers/climbers/back-packers – floating lid on rucksack?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

So almost decided on getting a Osprey Kestrel 48 for backpacking (SE Asia for 3 weeks) and general hiking/walking/camping (1-3 nights) use.

However, it does not have a floating lid. Is this going to annoy me that I cant jack the lid up and cram loads of extra stuff under there should I need to, or will I be happy to have a much simpler design?

Well, obviously you don’t know how I’ll feel, but any thoughts from previous experience?

(FWIW, other packs being considered are the Exos 46 and Talon 44)

Ta, Duane.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I buy loads of crap on holiday. You mightn’t.

athgray
    Free Member

I have a Berghaus rucksack with a floating lid and one without, and find that the lid is more hassle than its worth. can still fit a rope and jacket under the lid of the sack without a floating lid and it feels more secure.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

or you could just buy a bigger rucksack in the first place. Most rucksacks compact down via the straps and expand via the straps.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I have a Lowe Alpine bag which grows from 35-45l due to a secondary drawstring top and floater. A little faffy, but more versatile when it’s not crammed full.

It’s the wrong shape for riding, but as a concept I think the floating lid is a good idea.

charliedontsurf

I have an osprey with a floating lid and never used it, the lid feature that is.

48l is pretty damned small. Mine is 55l and it’s full on an overnighter.

Pieface

I have an osprey atmos 50 with a floating lid. you can buy it off me if you like however its a pita when the rucksack is not full

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have always preferred a floater (hehe) but actually as above if its not quite full, or sometimes when its chucking it down (I get irritable in the wet) I wish I hadn’t bothered.

That being said it saved my ass when I was mapping and had to keep cramming a mahoosive map board in there every 2 seconds.

Duane…
    Free Member

Pieface, how much?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve got a Macpac Ascent and have used the floating lid many a time. What’s good about this is the lid is held in place at the “hinge” by a full width bit of fabric rather than just some buckles and straps, meaning it is a lot more stable and less faff than other floating lids I’ve tried. The flap just folds in on itself when not required for the floating lid.

mu3266
    Free Member

Ive got a Bergen similar in design to the StillTortoise above; Possibly a bit more than you’re looking to spend but if interested its a Karrimor SF Sabre, comes in the smaller 60-100L variant as well as an 80-130 which I have. It also has a floating lid but with a width of fabric along with straps.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Walkers/hikers/climbers/back-packers – floating lid on rucksack?’ is closed to new replies.