Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Walkers giving us grief on a bridleway Sunday!
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

got accussed of sending Deer into premature labour

There are two sorts of problem really aren't there? Some people just don't reckon that mountain bikes should be out on bridleways at all, regardless of the law and how they behave. Some people just object to inconsiderate riders. There is nothing whatever you can do about someone who feels that your legal presence on a path should be banned because it runs the risk of wild mammals suffering difficult pregancies. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

so get one and use it to take the moral high ground.

I find walkers get all grouchy when I try to take the moral high ground 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Suck up the moan and move on.

I am not really moaning just making an example out of grumpy people. I have moved on – I am not bitter about it as very used to it after having had a few encounters with the public out on rides or being nearly hit by drivers or verbal abuse.

We were going moderately fast in single file. The front rider slowed for 2 walkers

I said we were going moderately fast and then SLOWED DOWN! But there you go… Ho Hum – I can see it from his point of view but I would be very unlikely to say anything to anyone out on a walk as I try to enjoy myself. Why do people feel the need to give other people grief (wandering off topic) just let bygone be bygones unless it actually affects you in a detremental way!

I think some people who go into the countryside go there in such a bad mood. I thank the lucky stars I am still in employemnt, got a house, lovely wife. I look on teh news at other countries in war and think I am lucky – people don't seem to do that these days – the more people have the grumpier they becoma 🙂

ski
    Free Member

I thought that's why Hope made there freehubs so noisy so you could be heard from miles away 😉

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

All you riders who dont have a ping bell – how else do you apply a rating to fit women as you each ride past? 😕

trailmonkey

IME, if you're getting static from a walker, there isn't any reasoning to be done and having/not having a bell makes no difference at all. They're having a go because they are a c0ck, not because there is any right or wrong in the situation. It's a binary situation, either ignore and carry on, or reduce yourself to their level and be obnoxious back.

MrAgreeable

Bells are rubbish for most people you meet out on the trails – they are either wired up to some personal music gimcrack, profoundly deaf due to age, or gazing soppily at a view to the exclusion of all other stimuli.

The best thing to do is just moderate your speed and ride around them. Alternatively, smoking a pipe while you ride might provide some sort of olfactory alert, depending on the direction of the prevailing wind.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup – in this case he just wanted to moan I think! I think we gave him some fuel – prob best to have ignored him and ride on – I would have but my mate had had enough I think!

Drac

All you riders who dont have a ping bell – how else do you apply a rating to fit women as you each ride past?

Oh dear we're not the only ones then, riding buddy has a bell on his bike and it's used to forewarn of milfs and totty depending on the number of rings.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I don't think bells make a difference. If they're grouchy I think it's because they've been made to jump (or at least have suddenly become aware of you) by a noise you've made and they feel a little bit embarrassed and off guard. Whether the noise you've made is the ringing of a bell, the buzz of your Pro IIs, or a polite "Excuse me"- they just feel they have to say something to regain the upper hand and something about a bell is just the first thing that's springing to mind.

As trailmonkey says just do the right/polite thing, then if they're ar$ey just switch off and go about your business.

Trimix
    Free Member

I was asked by a red faced twit where my bell was once, i replied "ding dong" and rode off.

BlingBling
    Free Member

So you and your mate bullied an old man and his daughter?

If it was me telling you that you needed a bell I bet neither of you would have stopped MUHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

oldgit
    Free Member

Drac can you get a bell that goes 'Diiing dooong' for top totty.

foxyrider
    Free Member

So you and your mate bullied an old man and his daughter?

Do you work for the BBC News team – i.e. make more out of a story than there is BlingBling 😉 Thats what they are doing with Swine Flu at the mo. You don't have anything to do with that do you?

BlingBling
    Free Member

Well lets say it was 2 big blokes that passed comment that you needed a bell as you whizzed passed, would you have stopped to "talk it over" with them?

Thought not 😉

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

I'm starting to think of it a bit like the fire triangle (here comes the science bit – lol!). For fire you need Fuel, Oxygen and Heat. Take one or more of these away and fire can't exist. Take some of the sources of conflict away then you prevent the "fire" of the argument.

I have noticed a difference now I have a bell on my bike. A good ding ding does carry very well, and you've immediately taken away the "where's your bell" riposte. Most walkers upon hearing you have a bell will take it that you do have respect for your fellow bridleway user and want to get along. It shows you are prepared for other users and don't see the bridleway as your personal Afan/Seven stanes/Fort William downhill course.

There's also something untheatening about the sound of bell on a bicycle.
    It can evoke up images of vicars on bikes in english villages on a sunday afternoon. I'll stop before I get over flowery, but you know what I mean. Before the bell you appear as an angry speed obsessed lycra lout that doesn't care about anyone else expect the clock. After the bell you're a considerate fellow trail user. Back up the bell with a cheery hello or "Can we squeeze past?" and you're pretty much there.

Yes, there will always be exceptions, but we can do a lot to stop the sparks becoming flames…

2p deployed

TM

aracer
    Free Member

Bells are rubbish for most people you meet out on the trails

Depends where you ride. I find they work fine more often than not for me. It would appear TJ does as well. I suppose it helps that I mostly ride on my home patch, where despite rumours to the contrary, at least for weekday riding, the people you meet are almost universally friendly.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Blimey – The issues was that the guy clearly saw and heard us comming and had time to move out of the way while we passed (and slowed down before we got there). He said "bloody bikes first" and then argued about bells which was irrelavent as he had already seen us and heard us.

Well lets say it was 2 big blokes that passed comment

I would stop but if they looked like they were after trouble then no. I dont think 2 big nastly blokes would have been walking in the countryside in the middle of know where. I stopped someone (big bloke) in a pickup towing machinery to have a go at him for nearly running me over. so no I am not a coward so Ner nerdy ner ner – blow a rasberry 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

On the whole relationships between them and us are pretty good. Especially lady walkers they're proper dirty buggers they are.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Especially lady walkers they're proper dirty buggers they are.

I think I've seen you and the ladies up on top on Haldon Forest oldgit 😉

I agree its only isolated cases – most people move to one side and say hello etc – or even say – blimey have you ridden all that in amazement – make me feel really tallented even though I'm sorta crap/chicken.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Can you get bells that don't rattle when you're just riding along?

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you take the hammer out they dont rattle 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Walkers giving us grief on a bridleway Sunday!’ is closed to new replies.