Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Walkers giving us grief on a bridleway Sunday!
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

was finishing our ride (3 of us) down a track which is a designated bridleway. We were going moderately fast in single file. The front rider slowed for 2 walkers with a dog who was not on a lead. Fair enough I though. On passing the front rider hear the old man say "bloody bikes". He cycled on and ignored him.

I was at the rear and my mate infront passed and the guy (the woman – presumanly his daughter said nothing thoughout) and he said " you need bells). My mate on this found his blood start to boil and stopped and thus so did I.

My mate said " Why do we need bells". He said "to warn of our presence". We said "you already saw us and moved to teh side of the path". He then started to rant on about parliment were too lazy to make bells compulsory on all bikes regardless of where they are. We politely informed him that they were not compulsory off road and he said that was out opinion and we replied by saying that was also his opinion he was giving. I informed him that it was also a mistake that parliment withdrew access on many bridleways by declassifying them after teh wars etc…

Now if you choose to walk on the limited number of bridleways we have in England then you have to put up with horse and bike traffic. Now I am not age'ist but I only seem to get grief of the older generation whilst on a ride. We and I always slow down and are very polite. On the same ride 3 walkers opened the gate for us and were very pleasant and polite but were certainly a lot younger i.e. 40's or so. Its does spoil ya ride a bit. I guess we should have ignored him and rode on….

RANT OVER…..

samuri
    Free Member

that all sounds far too intellectual for me. If someone told me I needed a bell I'd tell them they needed to wake the **** up and carry on riding.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

simple answer – get a bell

hora
    Free Member

As I once said to fatblokeattheback ignore the w*nkers. Every group has its self-righteous idiots.

grumm
    Free Member

If you get a bell then some will whinge about you using it (has happened to me and my gf) – you can't win sometimes.

foxyrider
    Free Member

simple answer – get a bell

Tried that and it scares then Sh*tless when you come from behind – cant win – I think you missed the point!

wake the **** up and carry on riding

We didn't give them any amunition by swearing TBH!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i gave up trying to keep walkers happy after i was verbally lynched by a pack of them for riding on a b.o.a.t.

what's the correct collective noun for a group of grouchy walkers?

what is it about walking thay makes someone grouchy?

(i was out for a run a few days ago in the sunshine after work, and was greatly amused by the sheer number of bikers out on the cheeky trails – is it time for a mass trespass?)

njee20
    Free Member

We politely informed him that they were not compulsory off road

Not compulsory on road either! All new bikes have to be supplied with bells, but you don't have to use them. Half the time the deaf idiots don't hear them, or jump when you use them, you can't win!

nuke

tbh if I'm on a path I can legally ride on, have done my best to slow down, be considerate and indicate my presence then as far as I'm concerned if they they still have a moan, it should just be ignored and best to cycle on; not going to change anything by stopping and responding to them.

Olly
    Free Member

you dont need a bell anywhere.
    it has to leave the shop with one, but you can take it off as soon as you like and its fine.

if you ring your bell they just tell you your being impatient, or impertinant, or jump out thier skin anyway.

theres no way of winning, and no point in trying to convince them one by one,
    i ride past as courteously and as carefully as i can, making sure i dont terrify anyone, keeping speed down, etc. whatever happens ill just ride on though. if they give me grief after that then stuff em.
    if it riles me enough ill call back a comment, something witty thats ready lined up.

I dont think its time for a mass trespass, i hate bridleways for riding, horses make SUCH a mess, it can be impossible to ride in places for rutted hoof gouges.
    sad facts are:

Foot paths are the best singletrack.
    Cyclists (loosely termed) cant be trusted to behave on footpaths, you WILL get kids doing motorbike speeds down footpaths and someone WILL get hurt.

keep it safe, stick to the laws of common sense on cheekyness, dont go barreling into blind corner, slow right down past walkers, dont lock up your wheels, and ignore the abuse.
    lifes too short

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find walkers respond best if you have a bell – so if you want to avoid confrontations then get one and use it. A ping from a distance back does the trick – not when you are right behind them. At least then you don't give them ammunition to complain about you.

I simply do not understand why so many of you are so loathe to have one on your bike. It smooths the way greatly IME

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I always very politely ask if I can come past and say thank you afterwards and if someone comments on the lack of bell I always say that a bell doesn't say "please" or "thank you" and that generally shuts them up. My husband once got the comment by one of them "You've got the no-bel prize!".

yoshimi

Maybe I'm just lucky but can't remember any grief of walkers, always been pretty friendly to me although I do ride alone quite a bit, dont know if that makes a difference – forget a bell, get a ProII instead and just stop pedaling when you're coming up behind them

IanMunro
    Free Member

I met 4 mtbers racing down the BW opposite my house as I was walking back from a run a couple of weeks back. I had to step out the way as they were going too fast / lacking skill to get from one rut to the other. No acknowgelment, no attempt to slow down because they were passing a walker, or that there might be more walkers.
    Nothing.
    Put me in a really foul mood, and I'm inclined not to yield trail to any riders doing more than walking pace down there now.
    My guess is that if you meet a miserable rambler, there's a good chance they've previously met a cock on a bike.
    Of course they could just be plain miserable 🙂

Drac

Hardly ever had any grief either and one of the only times I recall is being told to slow down by a walker walking on the road, he was politely told I was within the 60mph limit.

Then again I don't live in an over populated area and ride where there's only serious walkers venture and they always seem jolly.

grumm
    Free Member

Has anyone here actually ever crashed into a walker? I haven't and I don't think I know anyone else that has.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I always very politely ask if I can come past and say thank you afterwards and if someone comments on the lack of bell I always say that a bell doesn't say "please" or "thank you"

So do we/I – I just think its a mind set that walkers don't like being disturbed from their mind wanderings – most of them are like a gaggle of geese – and rabbits in car headlights – I could understand if I was doing a bit of cheeky riding and someone said something but… Some walkers, esp organised groups, are very officuous and unfortunately have quite a lot of influence on local councils etc unlike MTB'rs.

I have a proII instead of a bell as well! Works well! I have also been told to slow down going 8mph up a climb by 2 horse riders riding 2 abreast on a very wide concrete road!

nuke

Put me in a really foul mood, and I'm inclined not to yield trail to any riders doing more than walking pace down there now.

Actually, when I think about, I'm a right grump when I'm out walking and meet what I consider to be inconsiderate cyclists. 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Actually, when I think about, I'm a right grump when I'm out walking and meet what I consider to be inconsiderate cyclists.

Nuke, I would also be annoyed with inconsiderate riders, drivers, motorbikes but my point was we as a group and I are very polite as we like to give riders a good name. Lead by example!

nuke

I are very polite as we like to give riders a good name. Lead by example!

Me to! I wasn't saying you were being inconsiderate, just referring to Ian's post about meeting inconsiderate riders.

genesis
    Free Member

Seems to be a theme here, every passtime has its fringe elements that are grouchy/extremeist/partisan blah blah blah its the way of things in society.

imp999
    Free Member

Bikes are really very quiet and its the making people jump that upsets them IMO. But sometimes you just can't help it.
    Me and a mate were riding towards a group of three old walkers stood in the middle of a bridleway and I was ringing my bell constantly as we approached. As I got near I slowed and was about to stop as I couldn't get past and I knew they were oblivious.
    The three finaly registered us.
    The two blokes did a comedy bimble into each other-each one trying to get to the other's side of the lane.
    And the woman turned to us with such a look of hatred that gradually disolved as she realised what that irritating ringing noise was that she had been hearing for the last 5 minutes!
    "Thank-you" she said.
    And I said thanks and rode on laughing my head off.

hora
    Free Member

I was thinking of buying a bell. Yesterday I gave half of my Fruit maltloaf to a female Staffy- sheesh she wouldnt leave me alone after the first bit so I had to stop again and give her the rest!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Me to! I wasn't saying you were being inconsiderate, just referring to Ian's post about meeting inconsiderate riders.

No worries Nuke didn't take it that way – just clarifying we are a considerate group of riders 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried riding with a bell for a bit….I found most walkers didn't even hear it so I gave up.

I don't see what's wrong with a polite/friendly "Hi there, can we pass when you are ready"

hora
    Free Member

I cough …or stop pedalling….the King rear hub ALWAYS announces its regal arrival 😆 8)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I always say that a bell doesn't say "please" or "thank you" VERY good answer.

Agree with IanMunro.

Experience when out walking suggests that grouchy mountainbikers who do not make much effort to yield trail are not a tiny minority, while my experience when out on my bike is that grouchy walkers are a tiny minority. Maybe I just fart sunshine. 😀

jimster
    Free Member

I rarely get any grief off walkers on the hills these days, but then I stay away from the popular routes during busy times. If anyone does say anything to me I just agree and leave them to it – certainly rains on their parade then. 😀 However when I'm walking the dog and I see a cyclist, establish if they're local, if not I then send them down what I think is a better route than the one their riding – confuses the buggers to hell. 😯

nickc

Strange I think in 20 years of mountain biking I've only really had one confrontation with walkers, and that was on a bridleway (although that wasn't their grief), All strung out in a line about 12 of them, despite me smiling, being polite etc etc they were all really really grumpy, calling me reckless (I was doing less than walking speed) and damaging to the environment (this was pointed out to me by evidence of tyre tracks through a puddle, the fact that there was a boot print right next to it seemed not to matter)couldn't work it out, got past them as quickly as I could.

Kramer
    Free Member

I've never had a problem with walkers at all. Normally say hello, please, thanks etc. Sometimes have a bit of a chat with them. I always slow down for them.

hora
    Free Member

I've never had a problem with walkers at all. Normally say hello, please, thanks etc. Sometimes have a bit of a chat with them. I always slow down for them.

I always mither walkers dogs 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Narrow minded people judging other when they don't understand – I feel that a lot people are very opinionated and always think they are right – seeing a situation by someone else's perspective it a good thing and some people cannot do that. I could see that we may have been disturbing their quiet walk but were polite and slowed down. Therefore that Man I feel was no seeing the situation from our perspective and thus judging us by his standards ?

Kramer
    Free Member

Some people are just grumpy.

mtbfix

What is 'moderately fast' in your eyes might be 'too fast' in his eyes. Suck up the moan and move on. You'll never win that sort of argument. You'll simply reinforce the chaps low opinion of mtb'ers. Life is too short.

oldgit
    Free Member

I was made to dismount by an irrate walker near Ivinghoe Beacon got accussed of sending Deer into premature labour and all sorts.
    TBH the paths very confusing goes from BW to FP and back to BW????
    Noticed the other night that it was now a full on BW with official cycleway signs.
    So sniff my cheese walkers (not the crisps)

aracer
    Free Member

you dont need a bell anywhere.

You do in a Rat Race – the reason I have one on my bike. However like TJ I have found it useful, so it now stays there.

genesis
    Free Member

Maybe King, Hope or White Industries hubs should be the substitute for a bell. My Pro2's anncounce their prescence really well 😉

bigsi
    Free Member

Just be polite and ride on if they start to give you grief, i refuse to have my ride ruined by someone elses bad mood. My time on a bike is too precious to waste 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You were having fun and you are (relatively) young. Expect abuse from older people who missed their youth.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – the bell can be used from further away than you can speak to them in a normal voice and to many walkers a bell means bike.

I always back it up with speaking to them as well. "Ping ping" "can we squeeze thru please?" / "just letting you know we are here" Then ""thank you" "Lovely day" etc

I firmly believe that cyclists are their own worst enemies on this one. You may think a bell is unneeded but walkers expect one – so get one and use it to take the moral high ground. If you don't have a bell you have no right to complain about grumpy walkers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Walkers giving us grief on a bridleway Sunday!’ is closed to new replies.