Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Walkerists – poles and winter gloves?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Went for a stumble round on the north side of Kinder today. Massive variation in snow depth meant I spent an awful lot of time picking myself up out of snow drifts. I was also aware on the climb up that if I slipped over, there was no way I was going to stop before the bottom.

I’ve never been a fan of walking poles, but today I could really see the point of them – 4 points of contact would have saved me a lot of time & energy. (aware they wouldn’t be as effective at fall arrest as an ice axe) Any recommendations?

I’d been wearing my Pearl Izumi Amfib winter bike gloves, which were absolutely fine until they soaked through courtesy of repeated dunking in wet snow. Then my hands got very cold, very quick (I have crap circulation). So I’m also looking for some warm *waterproof* gloves.. They’ll only get worn once or twice a year, as I spend far more time biking than walking, so not looking to spend a fortune. But I do want dry, warm paws…

I stopped by Outside in hathersage on the way home. Walking poles seemed to be around the £80+ mark, gloves £60+ for something that actually said “waterproof” on the label. Anyone care to recommend some options that are rather cheaper than that and still perform decently….?

Thanks!

ElShalimo

Sounds like inexperience walking in snow so walking poles will just confuse you. Focus on your feet not additional distractions

Extremities make reasonable price gloves. Marmot Glade are another budget option

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Sounds like inexperience walking in snow so walking poles will just confuse you. Focus on your feet not additional distractions

That’s always been my view too from 30 years of hiking. Today was rather different. Thick wet snow – no crust and unfrozen, but wind-driven to form a uniform flat surface, with unfrozen bog beneath. One step is 2″ deep. The next one is mid thigh, then the next – shin deep. No variation in the look of the snow and absolutely no idea what was going to happen until I committed full weight to one foot. I ended up walking on the heather a lot rather than the path, as that gave some support, but it was still really unpredictable and made for very slow going.

ElShalimo

You are just describing walking up on Kinder in the groughs in deep, or wind blown snow.

Your experience should have meant that you could cope and would have expected that sort of day out up there in the current conditions

ElShalimo

Buffalo pile mitts or Dachstein mitts would have been good in those conditions

scotroutes

Poles work really well in that scenario. They also perform pretty well in proper “white-out” conditions for ascertaining where the terrain is going. Since my very first set (actually some ski-mountaineering poles I had to import from Austria as there was nothing available in the UK) I’ve used Lekis. Some folk find the adjustment system a bit fiddly and if you can put up with an extra few grammes then the lock system on the Black Diamonds might be your preference.

Make sure you have snow baskets fitted (most come with “summer” baskets),

Mountain Equipment, Black Diamond, Lowe Alpine, Extremities are all decent brands to look for in proper waterproof gloves. Make sure you don’t have them too tight and try to choose something with pre-curved fingers and a lining that won’t turn inside-out.

There are lots of “gauntlet” styles but these are often too bulky to fit under the cuff of a waterproof jacket so check that out before buying.

ElShalimo

Easton also make very good poles with a flick lock system

scaredypants

your current gloves, plus some cheap overmitts ?

lots on ebay/amazon (plenty claiming to be goretex)

Moses

I find that Leki poles last about 3 years before the adjustment lock gives up.
    Which is pisspoor.

Mrs M bought some Karrimor carbon poles with cam-lock adjustment for £30 from ebay, which are lighter, easier to adjust and good quality. As her knees are slowly giving out, poles are almost a necessity. They’re good for boggy conditions too.

acehtn
    Free Member

Also never been a fan of poles.

Borrowed a pair and decided worth a punt for some stuff.
    Did notice less fatigue and strain on the body.

Only a few times a year useage expected. After a lot of looking about i gambled on Karrimor x-lite carbon poles, was £30 from field and trek few years back.
    They are within a few grams of minimum claimed weight and took some abuse with no dramas, very handy when fording rocky river beds or trying to thread down rocky decents with 2 rucksacks on (bit of drama, hence carrying 2) lost a basket mid walk, did notice the differance in mud without it.
    Although a tight fit, Leki baskets fit, so i could fit the larger snow baskets if i went snow walking.
    Very happy with mine.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Why didn’t you have ice axes? If the climb was that steep and slippery, surely they’d have been a good idea? I wouldn’t consider poles much of an alternative in situations where the former are called for.

Ages ago I got some tough goretex mitts – I sometimes separate the waterproof outer from the insulation and carry them for use over any gloves. Expensive but 15 years later I’ve forgotten the price and have been grateful for them many times including winter cycling.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The Karrimor carbon poles are brilliant. I got some to replace some £80 Leki’s which snapped and I reckon the Karrimor ones are nicer to use, I have been using poles for about 20 years though and I really miss them if I forget them – like having my arms cut off!

For gloves I use my normal biking gloves but if they get wet I go to some Dachstein mitts or some goretex/pile mitts I got on ebay about 10 years ago for a tenner. That probably doesn’t help much – sorry!

jonba
    Free Member

If you are using poles in winter the qr style ones are much easier to adjust than the ones where you screw them.

Bufallo MIT’s would be a good call as would any mitts and a good liner. The bufallo ones are great spare gloves. I struggle with cold hands and one good solution is fresh gloves if some get wet.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

In the conditions you describe I would have put my poles away and be using a walking ice axe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Walkerists – poles and winter gloves?’ is closed to new replies.