Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wales in the Summer.
  • pedrodelgado
    Free Member

Plan to go biking in Wales for a week this summer.
    Can anyone advise where is best to go and any cool
    places to stay for 4 adults and 2 kids.
    Looking mainly to do cross country..
    Cheers.

lucien

Somewhere near the coast I would suggest, if all in tow. There’s not a great deal in the middle, other than countryside so depending on ages, interests of family could be a challenge to keep them occupied.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’d look around Dolgellau / Mawddach estuary. Easy to get to CyB, Mach etc and loads of natural trails on the doorstep (Cadair Idris included). Also some lovely gentler trails and proximity to nice beaches etc for the rest of the family. Decent pubs nearby and Barmouth is just down the road for a candyfloss / arcade / fairground fix.

We camp here most years, but they also have some holiday cottages. Stunning location and highly, recommended.

Home

Further north then Beddgelert is also a good place to base yourself. Again great scenery, good mix of natural trails (including Snowdon). Not too far from the coast and the Welsh Highland Railway is lovely for kids (and adults!).

patriotpro
    Free Member

If with the family then CyB is a must.

I rode the green towing my 2 nippers and it was really good. I think it’s the only time I have thought a fire-road descent was appropriate.

It has a nice cafe with veranda which is the hub to all the other trails.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

The family route at CyB is great. Did it with our lad when he was about 8 months on a top-tube mounted seat. He loved it particulary the bit through the old gold mines.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Brechfa is another great base if you want to ride with kids (and without!).
    Green, Blue, Red and Black level trails, loads of fun and not too far from the coast.

North Wales/CyB is a good option too though.

mduncombe
    Free Member

+1 for The Mawddach Estuary

CYB just round the corner, Barmouth has a beach. Castle at Harlech. Cadair Idris for great walking and biking if you are fit and there is an easy old railway line trail along the estuary itself. Steam trains at Porthmadog. Something for everyone.

pedrodelgado
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Tbh not going to be riding too much with the kids. Would somewhere around cyb
    Be a good base to allow nice easy day trips to the coast, fairground etc for the kids?..

chakaping
    Free Member

We often stay around Porthmadog.

Nice beaches nearby, little steam train and close enough to CyB, Penmachno and Snowdon.

There’s an eco-amusement park nearby too which was a good family day out (wrap up warm though)…
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1096504-d593534-r134045265-GreenWood_Forest_Park-Y_Felinheli_Gwynedd_North_Wales_Wales.html

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Would somewhere around cyb
    Be a good base to allow nice easy day trips to the coast, fairground etc for the kids?..

Definitely. Harlech, Criccieth and Barmouth are all pretty close to CyB.

Graigwen (link above) is about 20 mins drive from CyB in one direction and about 5 mins from the coast at Fairbourne (you can walk across the bridge to Barmouth from there) in the other. There is also a mainline train service which runs down the coast to explore other places if you don’t fancy doing much driving.

If you’re not so bothered about riding and looking for more of a beach holiday then Lleyn peninsular is also worth considering. You’re still close to the mountains (easy to do CyB as a day trip) but got some lovely coastline. I’d personally avoid Abersoch in peak season though as it gets rammed with the Cheshire set. Aberdaron area is really lovely and much less crowded though.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Always liked the Gower peninsula. Good beaches/walks and some half decent on/off road cycling to be had.

ynyreds
    Free Member

Shamless plug – these are my mum’s holiday cottages

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/cottages/rhiwgoch-hw7449?PCODE=311&DURTN=7&SCODE=AT06&ISSITESEARCH=True&ACODE=HW7449

A forum member stayed last year, and I believe they’re coming again this year!

They’re on the hill above Harlech on a quiet single track lane. They’re a couple of miles away from a long sandy beach (ideal for a fat bike…). Coed y Brenin is ~25 minutes away, Marin, Penmachno a little further. Blaenau Ffestiniog (and Antur Stiniog), Barmouth and Porthmadog are all about 10 miles away (in different directions) with plenty of stuff to do for children.

dti

another shameless plug – and 10% discount for ST premier subs.

Bike tracks from the doorstep (advert should pop up on the left at some stage)

http://www.beudybanc.co.uk

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Dolgellau / Barmouth area good access to coed y Bernin Marin trail in betws etc.
    you could also go to Porthmadog ride the Ffestiniog railway etc, day trip to beddgelert and then on to Caernarfon castle. A trip to antur stiniog either jump part or uplift on the easy blue trail if you don’t fancy riding up hill while on the same site at llechweddyour family can go underground at llechwedd.
    If you are really brave you can go on the new zip wire at Bethesda.

gusamc
    Free Member

“I’d look around Dolgellau / Mawddach estuary.” + 1

We stayed in Barmouth last year (*town is bit ye olde seaside), but worked well as a centre, enough facilities, outstanding scenery, lovely beach, train to other places, nearby bimble(which you can addd to), nearby hard trail, easy drive to other stuff

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

A cafe in Barmouth, I’d stick to Dolgellau…

ryanctj
    Free Member

I second Gower. Great coastal scenery, plenty to do with the family, and if you get out for a ride there’s a good loop around the peninsula itself, and you are also within striking distance of Afan (30 mins) and the Brecon Beacons (1hr).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wales in the Summer.’ is closed to new replies.