Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wakefield Wheel…………anyone done it?
  • ton

dragged the good lady round a very nice and enjoyable 45 mile circuit of wakefield today.
    the route is fantastic on mainly traffic free paths and bw’s, and I think was devised by the wakefield cycling forum, who are all volunteers.
    2 nice café stops on route……….fantastic day out on the bike.
    do it if you get a chance.

midlifecrashes

Got a link, and where’s a good place to park up and start? Preferably with somewhere to get a bacon butty to set us off and tea and cake to come back to.
    My gym buddy is getting into riding and we took the train to York last week, riding back to Doncaster on the Transpennine. Would be good to do a similar distance this week instead of a gym session. Weather looks decent for Monday and Tuesday if I can rearrange a couple of fiddly jobs I’m meant to be doing.

ton

you can start at the pugneys country park off denby dale road.
    nice café, hot roast beef butties and home baked scones today……. 8)

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Wakefield_Wheel-Cycle-Route-625.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    midlifecrashes

Cheers Ton, will let you know how we get on.

tomfun

That could be handy!I’m going to be staying just outside Wakefield in a week or so for work and was going to chuck my bike in the car and do a quick night ride instead of getting pissed at the hotel bar. I’d seen some sections on Strava at Newmillerdam so was going to use that as a start point.

anotherstan
    Free Member

tomfun, if you’re staying in wakey look at the badbrains website (http://www.badbrainsmbc.co.uk/forum/) for tues or thurs rides possibly including newmillardam.
    usually around 2 n 1/2 hrs and covering around 15ish miles.

bring good lights!

tomfun

Cheers anotherstan, i’ll check back on that site when i’m up there (will have 3 spells away in Wakey between now and Christmas) All the ride info seems to be quite short notice.

Failing that i’ll just ride around Newmillerdam until i see some lights!

dannybee
    Free Member

Done the wheel a few times as it passes my house, When i first started riding it was the first Decent route i did so i tend to do it every now and then to see if I’m improving 🙂

A good place to start is Anglers Country Park Nr Crofton decent safe free parking, toilets , Cafe and i think the map is 50p or a quid might be worth it first time if your like me and miss signs 😆 Failing that Pugneys as already mentioned.

n0rt0n
    Free Member

Tomfun, I ride my local loop round wakey most Tuesdays usually about 18m, taking in New Miller. Drop us a line if you fancy it

ElShalimo

Ton – sounds great, is it alright for a CX bike or will it need a hardtail?

antares
    Free Member

Definitely ok on a CX bike. Decent terrain 95% of the route and pretty flat. Keep your eyes peeled for the signs cause some are easily missed. Which I’m guessing ton missed a few, 45 miles?? More like 36.

dannybee
    Free Member

n0rt0n – Member

Tomfun, I ride my local loop round wakey most Tuesdays usually about 18m, taking in New Miller. Drop us a line if you fancy it

Don’t suppose your on Endo or Strava so i can hve a nosey at your routes? Im in Ossett and always trying to find new local places 🙂

Think i clocked 34 mile last time i did the wheel although its probably a bit shorter now as it misses the road section out between newmiller and wintersett

ton

the signs cause some are easily missed. Which I’m guessing ton missed a few, 45 miles?? More like 36.

45 miles on the nail, 3 mile ride to get on the loop and 3 miles back, I live in rothwell and joined it at Stanley.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I grew up in Wakefield: my folks lived just down the road from Sandal Castle and I could see Pugneys from my bedroom window. Bit different these days to what it was then. Had my first mtb experience (24 years ago) riding down the side of the field between the castle and pugneys, followed by riding down the moat at the castle, then venturing out to Newmillerdam and Walton woods.

ah, memories…

Sorry. None of this is relevant, just got the rose-tinted glasses on. 🙂

tomfun

Thanks n0rt0n, my stop over next week is wed & Thursday night so won’t be able to make it. I’m back up north in November & December both for a Tuesday night so I’ll take you up on your offer then if I can. Drop me an email to ed DOT pollock at g mail dot com. Cheers

n0rt0n
    Free Member

Dannybee, I have logged my Long loop on endo, (it’s a nice loop because it’s easy to vary between approx 18 miles, up to 20 ish or down to about 15 with a couple of easy route adjustments) I hope you don’t take offence but I will log it again next time i’m out, Hopefully Thursday so that I can anonymise it a bit more. If you put your email up I will send a link through Once i’v done it

dannybee
    Free Member

n0rt0n – Member

Dannybee, I have logged my Long loop on endo, (it’s a nice loop because it’s easy to vary between approx 18 miles, up to 20 ish or down to about 15 with a couple of easy route adjustments) I hope you don’t take offence but I will log it again next time i’m out, Hopefully Thursday so that I can anonymise it a bit more. If you put your email up I will send a link through Once i’v done it

That is fine thanks a lot i have some decent local routes but i ride local mostly so always trying to vary the routes. My email is dannybrear @ gmail.com , no spaces 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wakefield Wheel…………anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.