Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Waitrose Heading North – Will that work?
  • derekrides
    Free Member

News today of 100 new stores ten thousand new jobs.

I guess they’ll have to teach Northern folk about eating stuff other than pies and mushy peas, but will they even understand?

I think it’s doomed to fail.

Jamie
    Free Member

Morrisons moved sarf. Seems like a good swap.

morgs
    Free Member

theres been one about a mile away from junction 17 of the M6 for about 7 years….that north enough for you?

druidh
    Free Member

2 in Edinburgh. Newcastle opening in a couple of weeks.

sambob
    Free Member

There’s one in Buxton, can’t get much more northern than that. Population wise anyway….. 😉

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

We have Booth’s in the North West and Lakes.

Makes Waitrose look like Netto

monkeyboyjc

baised on the fact that M&S foods rake it in they’ll make a shed load – suprised there not already up there….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There’s one in Harrogate, which is ‘North’.

miketually
    Free Member

Hasn’t there been one in Durham for ages too?

singletrackmind

Isn’t there one over the border on the ‘Chat’ forum ?

Pook

Sheffield’s has been doing well for many years.

project
    Free Member

Why are there prices so high,

LimboJimbo

I grew up in Yorkshire and moved to the Midlands in the late Nineties. I still don’t feel ready to shop in these strange Southern emporiums.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There are loads up north as it is, plus haven’t you poor southerns tried online Waitrose/Ocado, us backward northerners have been using them for years..

And then we have Booths, which as above makes Waitrose feel particularly down market.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

a few around Gtr Manchester area now – nice profiteroles!!! 😀

paul4stones

We’ve had one in Hexham for years. Always plenty of houmus needed there. It used to be Morrisons which was considerably worserer than the Safeway which preceded it. Also Durham and Newcastle in John Lewis’ basement I believe.

If by North you mean Scotland – well that’s a different matter.

derekrides
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    Isn’t there one over the border on the ‘Chat’ forum ?

Yep where it should be, sorry, my bad, not quite got the hang of posting stuff where it goes.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i wonder if they will do guacamole with pie and chips 😉

Brycey
    Free Member

The Booths in Salford is days away from opening. Just across the road, cannae wait.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

plus haven’t you poor southerns tried online Waitrose/Ocado

No, we have Fortnums deliver twice daily actually.

What what what….

neninja
    Free Member

There was a Waitrose in Durham but for some strange reason they located in the city centre with nightmare parking and it closed as quickly as it opened.

I’ve sold food products to Waitrose and Booths in the past and they are the 2 classiest supermarket chains in the country but Booths are ahead by a nose.

I love the tradition of Booths and the fact you still met members of the family when dealing with them – I used to deal with Mr Simon (Booth) – all the family members are known as Mr and were charming people to do business with.

Booths have one of the best wine selections of any retail outlet of any kind in the UK. When I lived nr Knutsford, Booths was a delight to shop in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Errrmmmmm – nope – the compass says south

mrmo
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    esselgruntfuttock – Member

Errrmmmmm – nope – the compass says south

And as one friend from Poole used to say, your all Northerners, and another from Carlisle took great great pleasure in calling Mancunians poncy shandy drinking Southeners.

And anyway, Scotland, might as well be talking about Iceland, different country and all that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

When I introduced my friends from Manchester to some Edinburgh friends as “my pal from down south” he got all huffy

spacemonkey

One opening up in/near Chester according the outlaws. At least we’ll (now) be able to eat well next time we stay 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

I know there is one in Durham and Hexham and I’m fairly certain I’ve seen one in Newcastle somewhere.

Manchester is fairly south but you stop being Northern when you hit the border and become Scottish. Are they going that far north.

Philby

There’s been one in Otley for years – prior to that there was only a Netto. One extreme to another. And recently Sainsbury’s have opened up.

Apparently the Leeds and Manchester distribution centres of Ocado are its two biggest in terms of annual sales growth last year.

The problem with all these posh supermarkets moving North and Asda and Morrisons moving South is that Northerners will become health conscious humous and guacamole eating, red wine drinking foodies, and Southerners will become pork pie and sauasage eating, bitter drinking fatties. This must be the solution to the North – South divide that has perplexed Government’s over the years.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s been one in Otley for years – prior to that there was only a Netto. One extreme to another. And recently Sainsbury’s have opened up.

As I recall it, Safeways was the main Supermarket in Otley for many years (now a Waitrose), certainly 90s, possibly 80s.
    Morrisons bought the whole Safeways estate in 2004 and off loaded alot of stores in the north to the likes of Waitrose. Waitrose in Otley and Harrogate were definitely previously Safeways stores, I think this (2004) was Waitrose first big expansion into the north of England (not sure about further north or the odd store in places like Manchester).

Pook

It’s still a supermarket though.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS

donsimon
    Free Member

Sounds like a great idea. What exactly differentiates them from the existing supermarkets?

Drac

What exactly differentiates them from the existing supermarkets?

They sell the same items but charge more, you get a little plastic disc to pretend you’re doing you bit for charity by shopping there.

donsimon
    Free Member

So no cheap cycling gear then? I’ll stick with ALDI, thanks.

Jamie
    Free Member

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS

My Sainsbury’s is just down the road. Quite local.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Yep, had one in Newcastle (bottom of Eldon Square, near the square and Argos) for years.

Jamie
    Free Member

Either way….

Harry_the_Spider

organic355
    Free Member

There’s one in Glasgow FFS!! It is in the west end though.

ratherbeintobago

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS

That’ll be Booths, then.

Andy

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy was born in Harrogate, family still live there. When Waitrose moved in a sigh of relief could be heard all across to Brimham Rocks.

However, they’re not happy about Tesco’s moving in.

donsimon
    Free Member

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS

Ellesmere, Shropshire has got a relatively new Tesco supermarket which has brought much needed employment to the area, which is good, let’s say 100 jobs. Unfortunately it’s on the site of the old dairy that employed 300+ people and is in direct competition with the local shops which I’m sure now have a very bleak future.
    Somtimes I have internal conflicts as to whether this is good or bad and whether we should support our local shops if they can’t compete.
    People who know the area will also know Stan’s Shop, a local shop that has killed off other local shops.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Waitrose Heading North – Will that work?’ is closed to new replies.