Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Waiting impatiently
  • Harry_the_Spider

I'm waiting impatiently…

Where is the worst place you've ever been stuck?

Zurich ariport for me. 10 hours on hard plastic chairs with nothing more exciting to look at than the pen knife shop.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Swindon, got stuck there for nearly 10 minutes once!

I tell a lie that's the second worst. Queuing at lunchtime in the Hatfield town centre post office has to be the low-point.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Lyon airport, 12 hours between flights. All shops shut overnight. 4 of us slept on top of bike boxes with cleaners cleaning around us.

terrahawk
    Free Member

6 hour delay at JFK, listening to shouty Yanks blaming the delays on 'goddamn Brits'.
    Eventually we got vouchers to spend at the Maccy D's, where I made the mistake of ordering the US version of 'super-size'. After my bucket of Sprite I had to go to the bog every 10 minutes.

We were both extremely hungover following an all-night tequila session that ended with me falling asleep on a Manhattan rooftop. A bit gutted cos we'd paid a fortune to stay in the Waldorf and ended up spending 20 minutes in the room in total.

I'm well boring these days.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m beginning to think that she’s just got fat rather than pregnant.

terrahawk
    Free Member

it's a pillow!

Harry_the_Spider

You might be right. I think she's just got a thing for big trousers.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Hot curry?
    Jalfrezi from Indo Chef should do the trick.

samuri
    Free Member

countless 24 hour races at the top of a tiny little hill that maybe has a small root showing half way down it. Sitting there just waiting for a load of grown men to mince their way down it with an expression akin to a bloke who's waiting to get raped in the prison showers for the first time fixed to their face.

cove123

8hrs Preswick bloody Ryan Air

iDave
    Free Member

staffordshire – 25 years and counting

uplink
    Free Member

The Green party conference in 2005 in Lancaster

waiting for them to draw breath so that I could swap a satellite feed

jeez, they can wattle on a right load of crap for hours on end 🙂
    About 4 hours – I think

skidartist
    Free Member

Waiting on the phone for 3 hours trying to make arrangements for the twisted remains of my car to be towed away after an astonishingly brutal but fruitless theft attempt. It was like the Hulk had tried to steel it. It was unsecurable and undrivable

It was the morning of New Years Day 2000, possibly the most universally observed day off in living memory and I was sat listening to a recording of 'Come on and rescue me' by Aretha Franklin that looped every 30 seconds.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks for the advice in the tags, but I'm not ready to start necking the taddies just yet.

zokes
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure that advice is aimed at the female, unless you're the one in question (or a seahorse!)

Harry_the_Spider

Ta. Lucky you stopped me there before I asked the lads in the office for a donation.

caledonia
    Free Member

Charles-De-Gaulle airport on a Saturday night, waiting for a flight to singapore. everything shut. no food to be had, and to top it all… surrounded by French ppl !

4 Looooonnnngggg Hours

willard

Chicago O'Hare airport for about 6 hours overnight.

Our flight from Hawaii had landed on time and dropped us off, but _everywhere_ was shut and we could not leave the place to do normal things (get food, have a smoke, get a beer), so ended up not sleeping on the horrible chairs for a long time, and then checking in to a flight where the darlings put me next to a toilet and then ran trolleys into my legs for 8 hours.

sofatester
    Free Member

Where is the worst place you've ever been stuck?

In a rut? 😥

david_r
    Free Member

Was on a heavy beer session in Rekjarvik (sp?) until 3am. Had to then get up at 5am to catch the morning flight home to the UK.

The flight finally departed 12 hours later. Had the hangover from hell and smelled like a tramp.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Queen Alia airport in Amman. Blimey, that's a whole.

retro83
    Free Member

9 hours trapped in bangkok airport. No information, no chairs, no food places open, no battery left on phone or ipod, one poor couple had 2 young babies crying and pooing a lot. Also there was a really irritating 2 minute advert on the display screens on loop proclaiming how good the airline was.

That was a long night

caledonia
    Free Member

Actually I'll re-submit mine.
    Port Siad Heliport in Egypt waiting for the shore agent sorting my papers. Immigration took my Passport off me, and i didn't see it for almost 5 hours.
    Hole of a place so-it-is !

wwaswas

"one poor couple had 2 young babies crying and pooing a lot"

As a parent I always found crying and pooing took my mind off the mess and noise the kids were making. Ten minutes on your own in the toilet having a dump and a sob left you feeling much more able to face the shitty nappies and howling children.

sobriety
    Free Member

Queen Alia airport in Amman. Blimey, that's a hole.

+1

VanHalen

6 hours in doha airport.

forgot to buy duty free… and no money for food – doh!

Harry_the_Spider

Frankfurt is a bad one to get stuck in for a long time, as is Karachi when you've got a bad arse.

D0NK

So many airport stories, they suck up so much time, over 12hrs in man airport at height of season was pretty bad – i recommend the prayer room and a good book. The several hours at frankfurt prob couldn't be classed as boredom as my heart was going 10 to the dozen, 15 of us had been diverted there from man (headin for carribean) and 4 of us didn't have tickets in our hands for the link flight so we weren't 100% sure we were actually going to be let on the flight. Ended up in first class but the stress while waiting took a good 5yrs off my life.
    All those "minor" take off delays and post flight "sorry the hold has frozen shut" add up.

Oh and I got pretty impatient during wifes labour too 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

36 hours in Madrid at somebody else's expense was a good one. 😀

Got diverted by work to Taiwan once with no entry paperwork (you don't need it, but I didn't know), no currency, no hotel booking, a phone that didn't work, no customer information or contact details. The only info that I had was "We'll try and get somebody to meet you". 2 hours in customs at CKS stood under the WE EXECUTE DRUG SMUGGLERS sign wondering if anybody had got at my bag. It all turned out smoothly in the end. Merc – Marriott – loan phone.

Glad I don't travel anymore, but I kind of miss it.

stumpy01

Booked into SAS Radisson night before going on holiday as we had early flight – get up at 3am to get over to the check-in desk – wait for an hour, then hear that the flight is delayed.
    Wait for 2.5hrs for coach to take us to a hotel (in the middle of nowhere). Stay there all day, shipped back to airport & finally leave for holiday about 12:15am – so about 21 hrs awake and 18hrs delayed.

Get to airport on way home & lots of ranty looking people from our flight out milling around – oh dear…..
    Return flight delayed, but we'll take you to a hotel for the day. Check your bags in first & just take your suncream & a book or something…..fine.
    Get to hotel – rep announces there's a huge waterpark over the road & they are buying whoever wants them free entry tickets – but our trunks/towels etc. are checked in at airport. Gggggrrrrrrr.
    So have to spend the day at a different hotel & finally leave 13hrs delayed.

Luckily XL airlines are now out of business.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Waiting impatiently’ is closed to new replies.