Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Waiting for the bombs…..and the futility of modern life..
  • flange
    Free Member

….a suitably ‘clickbait’ title I’m sure you’ll agree. A bit of navel gazing coupled with a general feeling of being dissatisfied has lead me to posting this rubbish…

Am I the only one that is waiting for the thunder to start when the powers that be start tossing bombs about? Additionally, am I the only one walking to work (through the hoards of people doing the same) this morning wondering what the point of it all is?

I’m not sure whether it’s because I’ve been watching the news too much (I don’t watch a huge amount tbf), reading too many post-apocalyptic novels or whatever but I’m reyt fearful of the impending pissing contest that’s about to start. Putin, Trump and NK combined doesn’t fill me with confidence that it isn’t going to happen and if it does, that’s pretty much it right?

I don’t have any children (although I’m step dad to two) so obviously I’m massively worried for them and what they’ll be left with (if anything). Additionally it’s also weighing heavy on me that I’ve not actually achieved anything with my life and that if it’s taken tomorrow, have I just wasted an opportunity to do something with myself?

Doesn’t help that I work in IT, but being about to start another pointless project I do wonder if I could be doing more with my life. You read about all these people that do amazing things, travelling the world, setting records, winning races and stuff, along with those more worthy causes like helping those in need, protecting and fighting for human rights. And every day I come into the office, eat toast, surf the t’interweb and then go home ready to do it again the next day. The only difference between today and tomorrow is that I’ve probably lost a bit more hair and I’m probably a bit fatter. I’m certainly older…

I can’t be the only one that feels like this? Using the Fermi paradox as a measure, maybe we’re about to hit ‘the great filter’. Maybe we’ve reached ‘peak humanity’ and the only way now is for it all to end and start again? Maybe I should stop eating toast and do some work…

If Putin and Trump starting playing warhead tennis tomorrow, would you be happy with your lot?

wilburt
    Free Member

Humans have been at war since humans existed.

We’ve(UK) had a quite a nice little run of peace lately but by n large we are nasty b’stards who do a lot of fighting. Thats why the world is run by northern europeans.

I would ride a bike more, dont read/watch the news/fb and enjoy the party.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Surely we have been ‘waiting for the bombs’ since the 50’s. Having grown up in the 70’s and worked for the MoD in the 80’s the cold war threat was always ‘real’ of at least perceived as a real threat. We have had a brief hiatus from Nuclear destruction in the 90’s and 00’s where we were busy managing lesser threats to humanity such as Taliban and its offspring that live in Oil rich areas.

You have to wonder if it doesn’t suit the powers that be to keep us a little scared and to look to daddy for support and shelter.

kayak23

Additionally, am I the only one walking to work (through the hoards of people doing the same) this morning wondering what the point of it all is?

No.

I can’t be the only one that feels like this?

You’re not.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bring it on.

stewartc
    Free Member

Life isn’t futile, there’s beauty in every sunset and every good deed.

War is just one of natures ways of cutting down on the human population every now and then, of trimming of the dead wood and letting the strongest, cleverest and dirtiest to survive.
    It even allows us to make huge strides in technology and medicine as well as a bonus.

[/brightside]

gobuchul
    Free Member

We’ve(UK) had a quite a nice little run of peace lately

Apart from the Falklands, Bosnia, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria.

hot_fiat

Bored at work? Listen to some of Dan Carlin’s fantastic Hardcore History podcasts. “the Destroyer of Worlds” (start of the nuclear age) is pretty good as is “blueprint for Armageddon” (The first world war). Its far better to know how events like this have unfolded previously than to ponder your navel despondently.

WRT Putin: Russians like to make you feel scared, its in their culture. They just want to see that you’re scared and then they take you out and get you drunk, take you to a strip joint and laugh at your inability to down another round of vodkas. It’ll all be fine.

WRT Mr Kim: China are pretty peeved with him. I suspect they’ll deal with this. Trump might send some tomahawks in to select locations, but full scale war is unlikely at this stage. If the fat one conducts an air blast (even just as a test) then things may change. But that’s likely to be a localised conflict.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Booooooring.

Just because we’ve had a short period of no nukes man, doesn’t mean the threat hasn’t always been there.

Stop navel gazing and enjoy the last futility of what ever you life has left to give.

binners

Its not worth worrying about. Everything will be fine. Have a sausage roll…

😀

lunge

Worry about what you can control. Me worrying about Putin/Trump/Jong-Un will make not a single bit of difference to how they act so I refuse to waste any time doing it.

If you’re questioning the futility of your life I’d suggest that you should change the bits you can change (your job, your friends, your hobbies, etc.) instead of what you can’t (see above).

jekkyl

what the point of it all is?

I’ve not actually achieved anything with my life

blocks (can’t swear at work) By whose standards?
    Have you laughed? have you had a good time doing things you want to do? riding your bike perhaps, always gives me pleasure, if so then you’ve certainly lived a lot more than lots of people who watch TV in the evening, rather than getting out n about on a bicycle.
    BUT yes there is a futility to it all and recently I’ve come to the conclusion that when I’m 50 (42 now) I will spend at least 6 months travelling the world. Both my parents died early from cancer so chances are I might go the same way and I don’t feel I’ve spent enought time seeing the world. What my wife will make of this I’ve yet to find out but I want to do it solo and while I’m young enough to be able to enjoy it.

Cougar

What Lunge said.

I’ll add that comparing your life to others is also futile. Sure, some folk “do amazing things,” but plenty more are happy to spend their dole money on nose candy and Special Brew. And social media has given people the ability to project a facade of how awesome their life is whilst hiding all the shit bits, don’t fall for it.

flange
    Free Member

Ha, wondered what sort of responses I’d get – the only one I was certain of was Binners and his sausage rolls…

I’m thinking much the same thing about the travelling. I’m pretty poorly travelled (well, I’ve travelled a lot but only for work), so I need to address that. Also think I’m a bit burnt out with work so maybe a bike ride round the globe might do the trick. Obviously it’ll be a bit more difficult if they lob nukes about but at least I won’t need to pack the Gabba….

hot_fiat – thanks, will give that a try..

molgrips
    Free Member

Life has always been futile. It was worse 800 years ago when all you could do was work and die.

And there won’t be a nuclear war. When two giant superpowers were vying for control of the world, there wasn’t. Some tiny dictator isn’t going to set it off. China won’t sign up to annihilation and hundreds of millions of deaths for the sake of Kim.

There might be a bomb let off though, would be a humanitarian and environmental crisis, but I doubt it’ll be war.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

My life is so bereft of meaning that nuclear oblivion barely makes it into my top ten of things that could spoil my week 😯

woody2000

I’ll add that comparing your life to others is also futile. Sure, some folk “do amazing things,” but plenty more are happy to spend their dole money on nose candy and Special Brew. And social media has given people the ability to project a facade of how awesome their life is whilst hiding all the shit bits, don’t fall for it.

Amen to that Cougar

fasthaggis

I could die today and (for me)it would all have been enough.
    This is not to say that I have done or felt everything that I ever wanted to do,but from a very young age I latched on to the saying “This is not a rehearsal,don’t waste the time you have”.So from my teens to my forties I took every chance I could to experience everything that came my way and explore all the things and places that I was curious about.The best bit is,that now in my 50’s I can still remember so much detail,like some super computer my tiny brain is managing to store all this information and let me understand who I am and how a lot of the world works.So my real worry has less to do with bombs or war(which I can’t do much about)and a lot more with not losing my mind and staying on this trip as long as I can.Life is good,eat it up.

binners

I have this design (from the Daily Mash, obvs) on my phone case to constantly remind me of the futility of my daily existence.

Embrace it! 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I listened to that clever Chinese fella on BBC this morning: It’s all posturing – “Nobody wants war”.

I wouldn’t particularly care if a nuke fell on me ‘ead tomorrow though. I’ve had enough of this shite.

cloudnine
    Free Member

There really isn’t much point to life. Just don’t waste the best years working in some miserable shit job wondering about what could have been…

thewanderer
    Free Member

Agree with lunge above.

We all feel down about things at some point but we also need to maintain some perspective.

We live (well most on this forum) live one of the luckiest countries at the most luckiest times any human has ever lived.

Especially if you are a white male – and with no family commitments – if you don’t like where things are for you, change them.

My current gig is at one of the most successful brands in the world – I am amazed when people complain – you should definitely push for things to improve yes – but complain! – go live in the slums of Delhi and see how your attitude changes.

DezB
    Free Member

go live in the slums of Delhi and see how your attitude changes.

More whataboutery meaningless bullshit

thewanderer
    Free Member

Cool new word for me “whataboutery” – thanks for that.

I just mean perspective is needed. We are in the best time to live right now –
    there are no excuses – If you don’t like where you are in life – change it.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If we die today in a storm of nuclear detonation, or in 50 years time dribbling in a nursing home most of us will still not have achieved anything worthwhile in our lives so what difference does it make when it happens. there’s nothing to be afraid of in death it will just be the same as not being born and that wasn’t scary.

If there’s going to be a nuclear war I’d rather it was a European one so it would be over quickly rather than a gradual death due to the effects of a global nuclear winter. I’m not afraid of death but I’m none too keen on suffering.

dannybgoode

mariner
    Free Member

Read Maslow Hierachy of Needs and Marcuse One -Dimensional Man then get back to us.
    Or you could just ride your bike more.

molgrips
    Free Member

most of us will still not have achieved anything worthwhile in our lives

Depends on your definition of ‘worthwhile’ doesn’t it?

DezB
    Free Member

Cool new word for me “whataboutery” – thanks for that

See Cougar’s post up there ^^ for suitable definition.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Truth is there is no point to all of this – we as humans have always sought to justify our ‘special existence’ but there isn’t one. We exist to produce the next generation and we’ve done so well at it that the world is over-populated with humans we literally have no point any more.

The upside of that – like a life-long Sunday morning, we don’t actually need to do anything if we don’t want to, human nature and our less than benevolent overlords will push towards ‘the grind’ but we don’t have to, so we’re free to enjoy it.

I wouldn’t worry about bombs too much, we can’t do anything about it – the last ‘worry free’ time for Brits was between the 10th of April 1998 when the Good Friday Agreement took place and Sept 11th 2001. 3 and a bit years when the chances of being blown up either by Terrorist or foreign Government was negligible and we **** all that up.

brakes
    Free Member

More whataboutery meaningless bullshit

it’s not whataboutery, it’s about perspective. walk a mile in another man’s shoes, etc.
    I recently spent a day in Soweto, it’s not something I embraced or chose to do, but I left with a more positive outlook on my own life. the people I met there have hopes, dreams and aspirations; reasons to be. I was envious of that.

binners

most of us will still not have achieved anything worthwhile in our lives

Speak for yourself. I once farted so loudly I woke everyone in the house up

perchypanther
    Free Member

Speak for yourself. I once farted so loudly, I woke everyone in the house up

Your own house?…..Amateur!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I watched that programme about busiest cities, there was a guy living in a cupboard because it was all he could afford. Then women from the Philippines sitting next to a train station on a Sunday because it was their only day off from being servants or cleaners and they had nowhere else to go. oh, and they have to sleep on a kitchen floor if they’re not lucky enough to have been given a bed in a cupboard.

It all could be worse, put down Facebook and the new and go out for a ride or something, hug your stepchildren, stop worrying about something out of your control, some people have **** all

binners

Oh don’t tell me…. you let rip one that woke a whole street up? This massive trouser eruption having been caused by the enormous build up of gases only a large tandoori munchy box can provide?

You never miss a chance to revel in our gastronomic poverty, do you?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oh don’t tell me…. you let rip one that woke a whole street up

Nope just the whole house…..

To be fair, the acoustics are fabulous 😉

This massive trouser eruption having been caused by the enormous build up of gases only a large tandoori munchy box can provide?

You never miss a chance to revel in our gastronomic poverty, do you?

Peace through superior fryer power.

franksinatra

I once farted so loudly, I woke everyone in the house up

I once farted so badly my daughter vomitted

DezB
    Free Member

I watched that programme about busiest cities, there was a guy living in a cupboard because it was all he could afford. Then women from the Philippines sitting next to a train station on a Sunday because it was their only day off from being servants or cleaners and they had nowhere else to go. oh, and they have to sleep on a kitchen floor if they’re not lucky enough to have been given a bed in a cupboard.

Ah, I think you’re mistaken – that was these chaps:

wilburt
    Free Member

Apart from the Falklands, Bosnia, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria

Of our own choosing, none of those countries was threatening your home.

England hasn’t been under direct threat from since 1945 (with the possible exception of Irish separatists) but previous to that it has nearly always has been. Romans, Saxons, Danes, Normans, French, Spanish, Germans, Scottish, Ourselves and much of the time they succeeded so life was pretty grim.

franksinatra

OP, if you are feeling like that now why not cheer yourself up by watching some decent tele.

I recommend the Handmaids tale, I nice positive picture of how things may look in the future.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Waiting for the bombs…..and the futility of modern life..’ is closed to new replies.