Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wait or Splash the Cash (car/limited disposable income content)?
  • Kryton57

Mr sensible says wait until KJ02 has finised nursery, then I can get the 520d Business Edition I want to cope with work/mway and bikes. 🙂

Mr not so sensible is craving a new more bike friendly cheap and perhaps nasty (Mondy/Vectra/Saab/Subaru) diesel powered estate car in the interim period, to replace the 3l saloon/bike on back seat issue I have.

And your bullet proof justifications for either is?

bearnecessities

Sorry, but WTF is a “business edition”?! Fax machine and a deccoflex in the glovebox?

(IRO of OP: Stick with devil you know for now)

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d make my own mind up.

Definitely.

matt_outandabout

^ what balloo said

br
    Free Member

Put a towbar on the saloon.

peterfile
    Free Member

Business Edition has a vinyl graphic of a shirt and gold watch on the driver’s window, so even when you’re just popping out for milk in your t-shirt you can look like a high powered widget salesman that people can be in awe of 🙂

Gribs

Buy a cheap and big estate car but get one with a proper engine in it. Ie a nice e39 530 estate. Then buy the rep car later.

Kryton57

The business edition had sat nab and wireless toys in. Yes a repmobile, but a very comfy & convenient one.

caspian
    Free Member

Business edition. Christ. What will they think of next

bikebouy
    Free Member

The “business edition” will have Ginsters pasty stains on the drivers seat, chocolate milk stains on the back seat and Aunties knickers under the rear mats..

Go check that first, then report back. 😉

seavers
    Free Member

Sounds like you know what you should do, however that might seem like a long way off and you fancy a change, fast!

I find myself doing this all the time and it’s always better to wait. Things change and you might find something totally different makes more sense. In the mean time, if you want to buy something how about a roof bar setup for your bikes? Will get you through until you can go for the car you really want.

Edit, much cheaper and less crap involved this way than buying an interim car.

Kryton57

I’ve got roof bars. Can’t put the carbon roadie on them though and can’t be bothered with the on/off of them to quieten the long motorway trips.

Just a glance at autotrader reveals I could get a 525/530d e39 with about 150k on the clock at almost a straight swap for mine price-wise. Hmmm. Need to check it fits in the garage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What carbon roadie you got that cant go on a rack- it best be special otherwise im calling bullshit

Kryton57

Bianchi sempre. It’s a downtube grabbing rack, some peoples opinions are that this shouldn’t be done.

bikebouy
    Free Member

530d sport touring, epic vehicle. I put 170 & 240k’s on both I had, still going strong like a train and uber fast/comfortable. I used to load them with bikes and windsurfing gear inside too… 😀

Kryton57

So no issue with mileage as long as they have a service history then? Auto boxes ok or manual prefferred?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its some peoples opinions that we shouldnt drive 3 litre cars- we still do 😉

caspian
    Free Member

After a sleepless night mulling over this, I think I have found the answer:

520d Business Edition

You could offer to co-write the next series of Alan Partridge.

This should cure all your cashflow woes whilst also providing you with ample repmobile inspiration.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Auto on the 530d, no problems at all. Only issue I had once was the gearbox stuck in Park, needed the BMW service support to come out and flash the control unit. It locks just for security as it’s linked to the imob.

Mine were always serviced at Snows in P’mth and have to say even after all those miles the only thing you could tell that they’d done that mileage was the drives floor mat had worn a bit.

I have to say I didn’t really look after the second car that much, I slammed my windsurfing gear in it after sailing and even though in bags the water used to run out into the boot, so a bit of salt stains could be found…

I had roof bars and towbars on both, both cars used to either carry bikes/windsurf gear or tow sportsboats (24-30ft racing yachts) When towing I’d get 25mpg, when not i’d get 35-40mpg. Went all over Europe in both, hacking down to La Rochelle/La Boule/Lorient/Lake Como & Garda without any issues with either car.

I’d say “most Awesomnez” is about all I can comment on.

Well worth seeking out a 53-58 plate 530/535d if you can, go for the satnav/karmon system if you can, most have them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wait or Splash the Cash (car/limited disposable income content)?’ is closed to new replies.