Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Waist Pack, Bum Bag what are you using?
  • nickc

There seems to be more and more of these cropping up, I used to use one years and years ago but they banged around uncomfortably and were pretty small. Have they got better? are you using one? can you carry everything you need, made any difference to your life?

cheers

mattbee

A small Lowe Alpine one from Amazon. Carries a tube, co2 inflated & tools in main bit with side pockets for phone & keys. No bottle holder, that goes on bike.
    Good for short rides & I don’t really notice it but there’s a bit of a fine line between tight enough not to bounce around and too tight & squeezing my waist.
    Main benefit is not clipping a pack on the many low branches in Lordswood!

BoardinBob

The older version of this

http://www.freestylextreme.com/uk/dakine-black-16s-low-rider—5-litre-hip-bag.aspx?prodid=249472&gclid=CL_23Ou-xtICFUe3GwodBy8IkA

Slightly lower profile than the newer version but the newer one should hold slightly more

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SirHC

Both bikes have bottle cages. Race face rip strip for local rides (2hrs), Ultimate Performance Waist Pack for longer rides (2-6hrs)

xc-steve
    Free Member

If only T-shirts had back pockets to put such items in… 🙂

How are those raceface strip things? I quite often just put a tube in between my bib and base layer with my baggy shorts preventing it from going too low.

qwerty
    Free Member

I was using a Lowe Alpine Lightflight Hydro, one bottle on bike, one in bum bag. However for most of my local rides i can refill my bike mounted bottle on route, so i now have tools etc stuffed into an old Thomson stem bag and stuff that in by jersey rear pocket (i don’t know its there) and use the one bottle on the bike.

SirHC

How are those raceface strip things? I quite often just put a tube in between my bib and base layer with my baggy shorts preventing it from going too low.

I can fit a tube, two/three co2 canisters, multitool, money/card, phone, cereal bar/gels and a few other bits.

jonnym92

I use this offering from Decathlon.
    I have a bottle on the cage and fit spares into it. Pump, x2 tubes, levers, small box with quicklinks, multitool, leatherman, my phone in the side pocket and a waterproof in the other side mesh pocket.
    Seems to stay put but you do need to do it quite tight. I’ve used it throughout winter and it’s been great, will probably have to go back to my hydration backpack for longer rides this summer which is annoying!
    For £9.99 it’s a good shout.

martinhutch

The Lowe Alpine one above – don’t use it with a bottle, the pouch is the right size for a tube and a big chunk of malt loaf! Fine for local rides, can get a shell, tools phone, first aid kit, pump and food into it.

What it doesn’t have is enough room to take another layer, so if I start out in a softshell and start boiling, tough luck.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m using the slightly larger Lowe Alpine one without a bottle holder – bottle goes in a cage – this

It’s comfortable, simple and well made. Could probably do with an internal valuables/phone pocket and a better compression system for less bulky loads, but will take a lightweight shell, some bars, a hat and a multi-tool no problem. I mostly use it on the cross bike and for running tbh, Saves messing about with pockets that I sometimes don’t have and has the advantage over a conventional pack of leaving your back free to breathe.

Del

osprey with 2 bottles. pump, tube, packlite jacket, room for a baselayer ( or even a fleece jumper for the pub ), phone, keys usual tools, snackbar, etc.
    don’t use anything else now.
    a mistake a lot of people make is to try and tie them down too tight. they should sit on your hips, not be drawn around your waist.
    they do bounce from time to time but only like a pack does when you’ve gone all tense.
    i love having my back open to breath.
    flipside is no back protection.
    choose your poison.
    oh, and they tend to be cheaper than packs.

nickc

hmmm, so most of you aren’t using them with water in, because it bounces around too much, right? (same when I use one for running)

bottle cage on my bike isn’t up to much…

BadlyWiredDog

hmmm, so most of you aren’t using them with water in, because it bounces around too much, right? (same when I use one for running)

I don’t carry water in mine because I’m using a bottle cage, but for bike use, I’d consider something from Osprey or Lowe Alpine with a bottle holder quite happily. Less convinced for running use. I tried a Nathan belt-pack with two mini bottle holsters and didn’t really like it for running, but on the bike it was far less of an issue ime anyway.

brassneck

Osprey here too when I use it – since getting a Camelbak Charge which puts the weight (the bladder) around the hips I’ve used that, and on the road bike cages and pockets. Don’t bother with anything when running, may be a personal thing but I don’t feel any urge to drink up to about 2 hours of running and thats about as far as I care to go 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

For local rides I have one of these…

Takes the basics, bottle goes on the bike though, too bouncy on the pack.

If you want to carry bottles on the pack get one that holds the bottle securely against the waist belt, not outside the pack like mine above.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I still have a spacious Nike waistpack/bum-bag from way back to the Nineties.

Unfortunately it (latterly) appears designed for people witn waists like wasps. 😳

I tend to use a de-bladdered Camelbak for carrying bits and bobs. For hydration I use a water bottle cage or two. A big fan of carry-weight being located on the bike rather than on person.

scotroutes

I use an Ortlieb one in the summer. Usually with one 500ml bottle (and refill as required). Really comfy, if built to the usual Ortlieb bombproof standard.

SimonR

I like my Palos which has a bladder – however I know some don’t get on with them

A bit of a discussion here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/camelbak-palos-or-other-hip-pack-real-world-experiences

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve got the same Osprey one as Del (Talon 6) and it’s great. 1.2l of water which is enough for most rides / when you can top up. Can get everything you need in it, less sweaty back. Also think it helps with cornering if you’re a swing your ass out and steer with your hips type.

Only use my pack for 6+ hour rides and/or when I need to take food / wet weather gear.

aldo56
    Free Member

Is one of these and a bottle cage cool for #enduroing?

http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/products/performance-satchel.html

jamesg55
    Free Member

BIKE
    bottle cage + 750ml water bottle
    pump mounted to bottle cage
    swap multi tool mounts to back of the bottle cage

BUM BAG
    mavic crossride bum bag
    500ml bottle
    intertube
    tire levers
    pocket left for gels/food

jamesg55
    Free Member

you notice the bum bag until you have drunk half the water

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Mavic Crossride here.

Alien tool
    Tyre levers
    Patches and bits (links, zip ties etc.)
    Water bottle
    Pump
    Wallet
    Phone
    Keys
    Merino tee for prolonged pub stop
    Light clipped to back
    Shotblox and gel or bar

That’s it about ram packed. It’s a little less comfy as a rucksack but the lack of sweaty back make it worth it for me.

Tube is either under my seat or strapped to frame.

lock
    Free Member

Been using the deuter pulse 1
    And just bought the source hip bag for longer rides both are great ,the source holds 1.5 l and feels great even when full

chopchop
    Free Member

Salomon Sensibelt here for the last couple of months. Light as a feather until you slot the 600ml capacity water bottle in, it easily adjusts to your waist and I don’t notice any sloshing about when wearing it. There’s a small zipped pocket but I can carry all i need for 2-3 hour rides.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Same as qwerty and Martin as above. Got the reconor idea from an earlier thread.. I use it for most of my rides locally carries a spare tube, co2 cartridge and inflator, levers, multi tool, patch kit and tubeless kit, quick links and my wallet. Phone tends to go in my jacket pocket but can fit that in as well.

It’s ok it’s basically one chamber and I find it difficult to tighten the straps when on the hip. But it serves the purpose for very little money.

ontor
    Free Member

osprey 6 here too. I was always a pack guy but I’ve been converted. It’s ace. I even use mine on all day dartmoor epics. I just take some water treatment tablets with me and refill on the way.

Awesome kit.

zerolight
    Free Member
    patagonian
    Free Member

Deuter 2 & 3.
    I use the 2 for local rides and the 3 for longer distances as it has webbing for holding a jacket/top layer and additional pockets. Even the 2 will take a pac a jac, inflator, multi tool, phone etc.
    I always use it with a drink bottle in the belt as the bottle cage is used for the battery pack when needed. Never noticed it moving around and find it a lot more comfortable in hot weather than a backpack.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Waist Pack, Bum Bag what are you using?’ is closed to new replies.