Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Wahoo Kickr Snap or Tacx Flux
  • piemonster

Any reason to spend the extra?

Zwift etc… And I’ve room to leave the bike set up long term.

Being quiet will be a plus as this is for very early morning use.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

The flux should quieter if it doesn’t break or have an unknown rattle.

Kickr Snap will keep working for longer but be noisier and have better long term support.

Check out DC Rainmakers reviews as he does noise tests.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/tacx-flux-trainer-depth-review.html

Personally I prefer Direct Drive (Wheel off trainers) but wouldn’t have a Tacx ever again.

piemonster

I’m guessing a Kickr Snap would be a similar amount of noise as my current Tacx Bluematic?

flange
    Free Member

Had the Tacx, now use the kickr – much better, much quieter, power numbers seem more consistent and I don’t have to use a turbo wheel and tyre.

I’d go Kickr every time (or at least direct drive)

piemonster

Which Kickr are you using? I thought the snap was wheel on?

flange
    Free Member

Apologies – mine isn’t the snap, its the…er…not snap one..

piemonster

I think you’ve got the Wahoo outtamypricerange Kickr

stevious

Tacx get a bad rep for customer service but when my Flux died (it was one of the early ones with the known manufacturing defect) it was less than 48hours between me contacting them and me having a new flux.

Def quieter than my old wheel-on trainer but not as quiet as some of the other wheel-off ones.

muppet4
    Free Member

I have the Flux and I really like it. Quiet, feels great when on zwift. It only dropped out once when I had done a workout session and carried on pedalling, I believe the flux doesn’t like carrying on in the setting straight after so I just end and save then restart a free pedal on it. I use it at night when the kids are asleep and wife’s on nights – great for that. Leave it set up if poss though

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Afraid so I have the Kickr not the snap. Keep an eye on the Elite Direto which is due soon should be about the same price as the Tacx give or take.

simondbarnes

Hoping Direto will be here before the end of the month but haven’t got a confirmed date yet. Keen to try it.

piemonster

it was one of the early ones with the known manufacturing defect

Does this explain quite a few of the results Google search is giving me. Have the later ones got better reliability?

stevious
    gray

Does this explain quite a few of the results Google search is giving me. Have the later ones got better reliability?

There’s a graph somewhere, some guys were harvesting info and estimating failure rates. Ah, here it is:

http://athletetechnology.com/blog/2017/01/28/tacx-flux-smart-trainer-manufacturing-issues/

(Titaniumgeek and DC Rainmaker are good sources of info for this stuff, by the way.)

Kuco

Just got a Kickr snap today.

hatter

Just heard the Diretos should be arriving in stores on the 22nd

piemonster

Problem with those Diretos is my budget is £400 £500 £600 tops.

piemonster

I also need to but a Zwiftable device for the App as my iPad is too old. Which I think will end up being an iPhone SE airplayed to my iPad or a new iPad.

Either was it’s turning into a fair chunk of money

rocco

Had the same thought the last week and the Direto is going to be £750 where as you can get the flux for £550. Thought long and hard about the snap but have now decided I want wheel off due to the reduced noise, so come payday I’ll be ordering one.

Or save money and get the snap??? Hmmm….

If you need to buy a new iPad/other device why not go for snap leaving you money for both?

Has anyone had snap and flux and can comment on noise difference?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Snap all the way.
    Tacx don’t seem to be able to make a trainer that will work and stay working for more than 10 days.

piemonster

Leaning towards the out of budget Direto, pretty stuck for time to ride for at least the next year.

Ive ridden dumb trainers for 3hrs on a number of occasions and actually quite enjoy using them, in a twisted sort of a way. It’ll get used.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend the flux. Started off with two tacx flow trainers which both failed so upgraded to the flux. First one failed (lots of noise) after about 3-4 months, tried replacement tonight and after a sprint, it rebooted twice and is now sounding like an old diesel engine. All bought from halfords, who to be fair have been excellent in exchanging them. I’ll be getting a refund and trying a kickr instead…

simondbarnes

I had a little spin on a Direto earlier. Very impressed with how quiet it was and very stable.

piemonster

Just committed to the Elite Direto. The LBS discount signed the deal.

crosshair
    Free Member

My Snap is way quieter than the two fans I run to ride comfortably on it 😀

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Just committed to the Elite Direto. The LBS discount signed the deal.

What discount did you manage to get?

I know you can get 10% with the DC Rainmaker code and assume Wiggle will stock them for a platinum discount 12%.

I was pretty much set on a Flux but this looks like the better option if I can minimise the budget creep.

piemonster

Not far off that, around the 13/14% mark.

Close enough.

Still a country mile away from my original budget admittedly.

piemonster

My Elite DOreto arrives Monday.

Thank you to all those that help take my budget of £400 and turned it to £650 (I’d have spent £750 as well).

Just need to buy a new iPad then 🙄

Expensive stuff not cycling anywhere!

roger2
    Free Member

Honestly, the Kickr Snap is as noisy/ silent as any other wheel-on trainer, literally any! Besides that, it causes severe vibrations at higher speeds and even more at spindowns (the known helicopter effect), an absolute nogo with wooden floors. Besides that just buy what you first want/need and second can/want spent. Because I live in Holland I would allways buy Tacx and would I live in the States Wahoo. I personally am happy with the cheapest smart turbotrainer of Tacx, the Tacx Flow T2240 (250€) in combination with Trainerroad. But that’s me:)

roger2
    Free Member

Sorry. The question was Flux (719€) or Snap (549€)? Of course Flux.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Wahoo Kickr Snap or Tacx Flux’ is closed to new replies.