Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wahoo kickr or Snap??
  • godders
    Free Member

Morning all, here’s the dilemma.Im wanting to buy one of the above, obviously kickr is twice the price for a start. THe issue will be using it for two different bikes, Mines 10 speed, partners is 8 speed so each time id have to swap the cassette out on the kickr, could get annoying. The snap however we could just put a trainer tyre on her bike and run that as she wont use that bike on the road, only turbo. I use my roadbike as daily commuter though. I do have a cheap spare wheel so can use that with a turbo tyre on, but Id still need to swap the cassette each time really on that wheel as my chain may jump on the cassette if i just left a new one on it. See what I mean. Whats people’s views? Is the kickr twice as good (expensive) I had a go on the kickr as was impressed, but not tried the snap. Feedback appreciated people.

BadlyWiredDog

I suspect it depends a little on how often you’re going to use it / need to swap cassettes if you go for the Kickr. Once a week isn’t too bad, daily would be slightly irritating, somewhere in the middle depends on your tolerance for faff.

We’ve got a Kickr and run a 9-speed cassette on it for that reason – we both a bike that can go straight on. It’s brilliant in a sturdy, smooth, low hassle sort of way and is superb with The Sufferfest in ERG mode and on Zwift.

I also have an ancient Tacx thing, a yellow one, and used to keep a trainer tyre on a spare wheel for it. The indexing wasn’t quite right, but near enough that a turn on the cable tension adjuster would bring it into line.

Have you considered gritting your teeth and upgrading your partner’s bike to ten speed? Logically you’d get the Snap, but if you can afford it, the Kickr is impressive.

BadlyWiredDog

The other plus of the Kickr over the Snap is that you don’t have to calibrate it as often if that bothers you.

godders
    Free Member

DO you think id get away with a 9 speed cassette on a kickr, would that index with her 8 speed and my 10? I don’t want too much faff factor, hummm its a tricky one. Not thought of upgrading her bike to 10/11 speed. Would be best to buy her a new bike, but then I imagine the old 8 speed would become the turbo only bike and id still need to upgrade that, ha!

BadlyWiredDog

Mixing 8 and 10-speed would drive you mental on Zwift where you’re changing gears like normal, the indexing would be miles out, but would maybe work in ERG mode on something like Sufferfest where you can simply sit in one gear and the Kickr changes the resistance for you, but it would be quite limiting.

Changing cassettes is fine until you drop one and the cogs go everywhere. You cross-thread the lock-nut and strip the free-hub threads. You lose the spacer you need to stick a nine-speed on an 11-speed free-hub etc.

If you’re close enough dimensions, you could always put together a turbo rat bike. Wouldn’t need brakes or potentially a rear wheel, just a saddle, drivetrain, front wheel and handlebars. Ok if you have the bits lying about already and enough space.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Are you similar sizes – you could build half-a-bike just for the kickr as you don’t need brakes, you could use a cheap steel frame, etc. Or pick up something cheap on ebay.

mos

Buy 2 Kickr snaps? Same price as 1 Kickr & then you don’t have to swap anything at all.
    Kickr comes with an 11 speed cassette (mine did) so you’re going to have to get hold of 1 or 2 extras to faff about with as well.

mos

Then you could also train together.
    #swolemates

flange
    Free Member

I don’t have to share my trainer so probably not the best person to ask, but I much prefer the direct drive Kickr to ‘wheel in’ trainers that I’ve had before. More consistent results (no fluctuating tyre pressures), no killing of tyres or having to faff with a turbo specific tyre. Its just better.

I can see how chopping cassettes about would be a pain, just tell your partner to upgrade to 10 speed!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you considered gritting your teeth and upgrading your partner’s bike to ten speed?

I have very lightly used 105 10 speed shifters, mechs and cassette in my spares box that I could do a good price on 😉 PM me if interested.

godders
    Free Member

Perhaps turning her bike 10 speed would be the best option. I know what you mean about the kickr v’s the in wheel snap. I just both being 10 speed would perhaps be the easier answer?

stevious

I share my Tacx Flux (a wheel-off like the kickr) with my wife and it’s far less faff than when we were sharing a normal turbo + turbo wheel. We do share the same cassette though.

Ewan
    Free Member

Upgrade everything to 11spd. Problem solved.

godders
    Free Member

I don’t really want to upgrade 2 bike to 11 speed. My 10 speed will always be a winter commuter and stay 10.Its probably too big for her to use as its a 58cm frame. I think the 10 to her bike could be a nicer option.

scaredypants

If it’s your winter commuter that you’re using I think you’ll rapidly get pissed off swapping it on & off the trainer, wet & mucky. Swapping onto a direct drive is even more of a ballache. It’ll soon limit how much you use the thing IMO

unless you really both need identical positions on the trainer compared to your normal riding, I’d be looking for a compromise size old frame that you both could use on a direct drive machine (saddles can slide as well as rise/fall, drop bars have several contact points (even height adjustable stem?)). Could do the same with a snap but I do like a DD – if you’re happy to spend the money

Doesn’t matter what frame you use – old mtb in the shed, one from the tip. Old chainset, shifter(s) & gears and you’re away

crosshair
    Free Member

From a simple comparison POV- I haven’t spent long on the direct drive Kickr but it made me impressed with my SNAP- the feel was very similar and the response to Zwift terrain (i.e. resistance adjustment) was no better.
    It certainly didn’t make me want to upgrade for the sake of it. And it’s noisier (but still quieter than my fans 😉 )

If I had the money for a Kickr, I’d probably buy the SNAP instead and spend the difference on the Climb when it’s finally launched 🙂

turboferret

This has already been touched on, but when I was training with a Kickr I basically never changed gear, as it was on ERG mode and just changed the resistance to absorb whatever power I asked, regardless of cadence.

As such, you could in theory just have a single sprocket on the back to suit both bikes, so narrow enough for a 10-speed chain.

Just a thought?

Cheers, Rich

chilled76
    Free Member

Save another £500 and buy a wattbike atom. Much easier, no faff and takes seconds to swap between your set up and hers

turboferret

Save another £500 and buy a wattbike atom

It took me a few minutes to realise you mean save up another £500, didn’t think you’d get much for £500 less than a Snap 😀

Cheers, Rich

godders
    Free Member

Sorry, I mean it is a winter commuter, but ill keep it as a turbo bike and use the CX bike for commuting now on. It’s a minefield trying to decide whats best. I really appreciate peoples views though. Now im thinking snap again. THat would work with her bike fine as she’d just keep the turbo tyre on, and I have a spare wheel/tyre combo if i did need to use the winter commuter instead of the cx bike. I do like the kickr though….. ha

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wahoo kickr or Snap??’ is closed to new replies.