Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wahoo! First trail center ride is fast aproaching!
  • ciderinsport
    Free Member

Tuesday, W2, Afan.

Not been to one of these places before 😳

Just want Christmas to hurry up now…

johnners
    Free Member

You’ll have fun.

DT78
    Free Member

Great fun, be careful not to get too carried away. One of the descents towards the end has about 13 big rock steps on a slight right curve. Hit that too fast and you will be upside down in a bush…:)

hugor
    Free Member

One of the descents towards the end has about 13 big rock steps on a slight right curve. Hit that too fast and you will be upside down in a bush…:)

Thats the Skyline descent. Great fun those steps but as you put you want to take it a bit easy. Plenty of warning signs that they’re coming though.
    Made a real mess of my mates face once.
    Enjoy Afan – its a great place.
    If you’re going to do the W2 I suggest starting rom Glyncorrywg.

chakaping
    Free Member

And I’ll suggest starting from Afan so you can have a bite at Glyncorryg half way round, if you’re planning on a lunch stop.

😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Good job Flow isn’t around to cast his scorn.

scaredypants

13 big rock steps

Is that on the last bit down to the lake? I like* that

*(although clearly it’s all manufactured riding that’s a pale imitation of real trails and fit only for nancies)

cheers_drive

The Glyncorrwg cafe is much better (now the new oweners have sorted it out) but I’d take some trail snacks and finish at the cafe. I’ve ruined a couple of rides by stopping halfway and having a giant Welsh Rarebit.
    Have fun W2 is good. There is also good combo of Whites to end of Energy then up the fire road to do the July shortcut of Skyline.

Duffer
    Free Member

And I’ll suggest starting from Afan so you can have a bite at Glyncorryg half way round, if you’re planning on a lunch stop.

That’s the way we always do it.

hugor
    Free Member

I find the Whites climb more difficult than the Wall so prefer doing it on fresh legs.
    I don’t stop for lunch though.
    It takes me 3 1/2 hours to do the W2 at a comfortable pace i.e not trying too hard (not a troll/gnar/fnar comment BTW!).
    Do you really need a meal in that time?
    You’ll only be burping/farting/regurgitating it up the whites climb.
    I like my feed and beer at the end.

chakaping
    Free Member

I prefer to do it in one go too hugor, but I’m usually there with people who don’t ride as much and regard it as an epic which requires a lunch stop.

I still like to start with the Wall though to get the boring bit out the way early on!

🙂

dingabell
    Free Member

Whichever way you do it, you’ll love it. Fantastic trail centre for a first time run. Enjoy.

adstick
    Free Member

I thought everyone knew that trail centres are rubbish unless you’re riding a road bike with no brakes or something…

Have fun it’s excellent.

rOcKeTdOg

Great fun, be careful not to get too carried away. One of the descents towards the end has about 13 big rock steps on a slight right curve. Hit that too fast and you will be upside down in a bush…:)

heavily bruised sternum from those steps from me, hurt for flippin weeks

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Pinch flat and a massive sense of humour failure after doing whites first on those steps!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RD, you should have been wearing GNAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMour. 😉

Duffer
    Free Member

Those steps are good fun, and they’re all perfectly rollable. Most have chicken runs, too.

A mate of mine broke his wrist before the first tabletop on Energy! His bike was fine though, so that’s the main thing!

As a first trail centre experience, i can think of more appropriate options than W2… If you’re an experienced Mountain Biker though, you’ll be fine.

W2 (and White’s in particular) is the best trail centre riding that i’ve experienced, by miles. Enjoy yourself!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wahoo! First trail center ride is fast aproaching!’ is closed to new replies.