• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Wagyu steak
  • muttley109
    Free Member

My butcher has got hold of some wagyu and has kept back a couple of steaks for me. As they are going to cost a lot more than the average steak it seems wrong to just have them with chips.

Ive seem some great food threads on here with lots of great recipe suggestions, so what would you all do with some nice wagyu?

leffeboy

Good chips are always the right choice. I’d be more worried about how to cook them rather than what to have them with

Or dauphinoise of course, stops you adding a creamy sauce on the steak

Drac

It’s a steak even Iceland sell them.

Chips it is.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Teriyaki veg

wallop

Last time I ate Wagyu beef, it was served raw with a glass of rose wine. I literally thought I’d died and gone to heaven.

(it was the Raby Hunt, for you north-easterners).

I wouldn’t suggest you do that though. Maybe just with some very buttery broccoli and mushrooms?

trail_rat
    Free Member

The lack of culture astounds me Drac. You remind me of a colleague of mine who constantly buys the cheapest food at the shop(we live in a compound ) and then moans that xyz tastes shit…..no it doesn’t but the one you bought did.

You won’t get a steak out of Iceland’s that tastes like a true wagyu steak.

thepurist

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyx5g5L91tg[/video]

slowoldman

Yes I would agree chips or dauph. A few green beans or a tossed salad. Keep it simple.

Drac

You’re lack of humour astounds me trail_rat.

I’ve never bought steak from Iceland in my life.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh and in answer to the question I’m going for bbq batatas doce with roasted vegetables in a peppercorn sauce…..kept well away from the steak but to add moisture to the sweet potato

leffeboy

Last time I ate Wagyu beef, it was served raw with a glass of rose wine.

<Punchandjudyvoice>that’s the way to do it<\voice>

Oh, and chips of course

jobless
    Free Member

In Dallas steak always comes with truffle Mac n Cheese*.

I have had a few wagyu and its very very nice. i get mine blue. normally I’m a medium-rare guy.

HTH

*when i order it does

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your joke was missing the [humour][/humour] tags. Lord knows it needed it 😀

DickBarton

Interesting…been told it needs to be verging on well done to get the proper flavour…

dannybgoode

Homemade paprika chips. Compliments even the finest of steak.

If you’re going to cook the said steak may I be bold and suggest doing them on a scorching hot BBQ – just a couple of minutes a side.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dauphinoise and some nice greens, your choice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What cut?

Sirloin (hopefully!) rare. Good chips. Roasted garlic stuffed tomatoes.

Nom.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What grade is it?

Not that it really matters, I love goose fat chips and a glass of red with mine

mattyfez

New potatoes

jambourgie
    Free Member

Mmmm… I’d have it blue (still mooing) with a fried egg, maybe some horseradish. And a bottle of red.

darrell
    Free Member

chips and a bearnaise sauce and maybe just maybe some fried asparagus to go with roasted onions and garlic

jambalaya
    Free Member

What can you cook well ? Seems a bit of a risk to me for you to attempt something new

As above good chunky chips why the F not ? I love Dauphinoise so would be good with those too. Salad on the side.

One thought – how big are the steaks ? i’d be tempted to cut off a smallish portion and then thinly slice cooked rare with stir fry veg for a second meal ? Compare and contrast ?

benp1

Good chops are always the answer. I prefer thin rather than thick cut

Truffle mac and cheese is a good side with steak too though

jam-bo

You won’t get a steak out of Iceland’s that tastes like a true wagyu steak.

I had a minke steak in Iceland that tasted better than any beef steak I’ve ever had.

chewkw
    Free Member

Chips with everything … chips. Chips. 😆

It is much more difficult to cook good chips than Wagyu steak.

leffeboy

I love goose fat chips

we have a winner

or this Heston

simondbarnes

I would have it with paprika, onion, button mushrooms, butter, soured cream, lemon juice, parsley, black pepper, salt,lemon juice and some matchstick potatoes 🙂

wallop

Would you actually be able to taste the meat though 😆

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I had a minke steak in Iceland that tasted better than any beef steak I’ve ever had.

I noticed you can get a Chateaubriand in iceland now as well! Tenner.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Personally I think if its is properly decent steak then no need for ponsy adornments which just serve to hide poor quality steaks. Just decent chips or even buttery mash (not low fat spread or even worse….spreadable butter mash), and some steamed veg and a spot of mustard if you like a bit of heat. no need for sauces or any other faff.

Personally after many attempts i’ve realised I can’t cook a decent steak – many a half decent steak has been ruined by my hand, but when i’ve had a properly decent one in a decent restaurant it’s as simple as it possibly can be and juicy as you like, and there is not much that can beat it.

blader1611
    Free Member

Erm shirley you would have it with a pot noodle so you can dip your steak in it.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Surprised no ones mentioned it yet, but chips go well with a steak.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sauteed new potatoes, smattering of sea salt.

Buttered green beans.

Medium rare meat.

Glass of red what-you-fancy.

muttley109
    Free Member

Lots of good suggestions there! I should have bought some more and tried a few different things but £59/kg was a bit much to have it every night this week.

Chips and bearnaise sounds good, but then a potato and celeriac dauphinoise could also be good. I was also thinking of maybe a salsa Verde or chimmichurri with a rocket salad and roast tomatoes.

And of course it’ll be served with red wine!

So for those of you that have had wagyu steaks (not you lot that buy steaks from Iceland!) what’s the consensus on doneness?
    Given the marbling I would have thought that rare wouldn’t be enough the melt the marbling and release the most flavour. I normally cook steak medium rare or medium for a well marbled rib eye. I’ve also seen a few suggestions that wagyu is better medium to well. I don’t think I could bring myself to cook a steak well done, especially one this pricey!

Drac

Do not use a sauce on a good steak that’s for your Iceland ones.

Heat will render the fat make your pan very hot if you’re using one, I hope it’s a thick cut so it sears well on the outside without cooing the middle too much. Baste it’s own fat as it renders or just a small amount of butter near the end to burn blacken it. Medium rare is my choice.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Wagyu steak’ is closed to new replies.