Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wacom users – what tablet next?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I need to replace the pen on my Intuos 3 tablet and as a new pen is £70 I am contemplating replacing the entire lot and getting something smaller.

I’m not totally up-to-date with Wacom’s comings and goings, so would anyone with experience care to offer an opinion?

I work as a graphic designer, so it will get used. Intuos 3 was great, but I didn’t use the more flddley functionality. Can’t be doing with proprietary add-on programs linking to social media and the like, and not interested in hot-key set-up or similar – essentially I just want a pen to act as a mouse in Adobe Creative Suite.

I work off a 15″ Macbook Pro most of the time and travel quite a bit, so sticking into a laptop bag would be a bonus.

Any suggestions?

midlifecrashes

/Hijack

What’s the budget option for my kids, (they have had a Huion for nearly a year but it’s gone flaky and we’re sending it back while it’s under a year old)?

/sorry

bigyinn
    Free Member

You do realise the tablet PMJ is referring to is not the same as an android tablet or an ipad.
    Its a designers drawing tool, basically a virtual sketch and drawing pad.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leffeboy

I asked a similar sort of question recently and the most relevant reply was “The Wacom Intuos Draw small is £50 and will do everything a pen screen will. Carting it around is a minor inconvenience compared to having it built in.
    The Intuos Pro small is £170 and will blow most pen screens out of the water in terms of accuracy and pressure levels. Personally I’d get the Pro but the Draw is probably adequate for most people.”

I’m still debating between small and medium though although I think small will win

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The word ‘tablet’ really has been redefined by the iPad hasn’t it. 🙂

Its a designers drawing tool, basically a virtual sketch and drawing pad.

This. It’s a platform that basically replaces a mouse and makes illustration and photo work easier (see pic below).

I’m still debating between small and medium though although I think small will win

Have been researching the Draw vs. the Pro to see where the extra money goes. Actually prefer the look of the Draw and it has fewer buttons, but concerned there’s functions of the Pro I’m overlooking.

Pic:

midlifecrashes

Cheers guys, I’m sort of aware the difference between a digitiser and an iPad having used various Calcomps and Summagraphics slabs since Autocad 2.5 and CorelDraw3, but I’m well out of the loop these days and my son is a dab hand at Photoshop and my daughter is into creating Anime (in Japanese) from scratch and the cheapo digitiser we got to see if they would take to it has been overworked and can’t take any more.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Get the intuos pro medium. I have an incase (brand) slipcase for a 15in MBP and it fits in the outer pocket, I use the touch buttons a bit for X background/foreground swapping in Photoshop and adding points in paths but find the keyboard quicker for other commands but I guess the zoom ring might be useful for certain apps.

CaptainSlow

I’ve ordered the medium pro from my kids christmas prezzie. Slight high jack – what software is good for these things?

Heavily into anime but would also like to encourage other art forms

MrSmith
    Free Member

I love those marketing pics with the huge tablets. In real world use they are too big and the arm movements become exaggerated and too big and leads to fatigue over extended periods of use. I have a lump of hard skin on my finger as I use a Wacom pen a lot but using a small or medium tablet means your elbow and wrist don’t get overused.
    It’s still better than ‘the claw’ you get from trying to do detailed work or brushing with a mouse.

It’s like those touch screen pc’s Microsoft is pushing. Are you really going to want to stand there all day over extending to try and draw something? Those things are best left to short sequences of forensic image investigation in badly produced action films not for real work 🙄

redthunder
    Free Member

I’m still using a Wacom Graphire from the late 90’s.

I also prefer the small tablet size as mentioned above.

https://www.macobserver.com/newreviews/bc/99/991222grapphire/graphire.html

dannybgoode

If you’re coming from an Intuos 3 then the Intuos Pro is really the only choice.

Any other brand will seem clunky and annoying and the lesser Wacoms have features missing that will soon see you buying the pro anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wacom users – what tablet next?’ is closed to new replies.