Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Waay of the roses .. anyone rode it ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I have a week off work early march and as i cant ride Ton`s weekend touring ride 🙁 due to work im looking at maybe doing this, Thoughts please , worth the ride or dead boring road miles ?
    Coming up from Birmingham as well, so is it worth the tip ?

tinribz
    Free Member

Is a little flat the second half but your glad of it after Settle. Although the last leg is a bit underwhelming the roads are quiet.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve not rode the route but I did a ride last summer from Settle that started out on part of the route and there’s a really steep hill.

I nearly turned back as it was roasting hot and it nearly wiped me out. It was because I wasn’t expecting it so, if you know what’s coming up, you will be fine.

The first bit will be your fastest if you go west to east as no one wants to be in Morcombe longer than they have to be 😉

PMK2060

Did it in 2 days last year. First day was a killer as I am not used to hills. It’s a good mostly traffic free route with great scenery.

imnotverygood

I did it a couple of years ago & I really enjoyed it. I have done the C2C, Hadrians Wall & the W2W (bit of a coast to coast junkie). IMO the WOTR is the best of the lot.

robdob
    Free Member

A friend of mine at work did it and really enjoyed it. He said it was pretty easy to follow and goes through great scenery. We both live in Yorkshire so know the area well but he said it went down some routes which he would never have found otherwise.
    It’s not hilly for Yorkshire. I did the traditional C2C earlier last year, Workington to Tynemouth and that was very hilly in places!

He said the tyres and bike he had were perfect – boardman CX bike (designed for commuting really!) with its original CX tyres on.

The accomodation is plentiful if doing it in 3 days, it’d be a long 2 days in the safdle. Most people do it in 3 days and it’s nice that way.

I am planning on doing it this year too.

robdob
    Free Member

imnotverygood – Member
    I did it a couple of years ago & I really enjoyed it. I have done the C2C, Hadrians Wall & the W2W (bit of a coast to coast junkie). IMO the WOTR is the best of the lot.

That’s good to know!! Really looking forward to it now. I did the C2C in 2 days, doing Hartside at the end of the first day nearly finished me off!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Liking the idea of more C2C`s etc, only prob is most of them are up north where im not ! .. Did the Devon coast to coast last year and the aber to shrewburys sustrans route .. all enjoyed them 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Its 170 miles I believe? I have this fancy to attempt it in one day (done Workington to Sunderland in a day). Is it tarmac? I don’t fancy a road bike on gravel tracks etc.
    Myself and a friend did Walney to Whitby over two days last year and there was a LOT of climbing on that route.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bookmarks this thread with a lot of interest.. 8)

Bregante

I did it in August with a group from work, two of whom were relatively inexperienced cyclists who hadn’t done over 30 miles in a day before. As a result we did it over 3 days. It’s a lovely route but as above it becomes very flat once you’re in the Vale of York and beyond.

Find of the trip was Millington Village Hall where they have a bit of a bunkhouse set up for £15 a night including a cook your own breakfast.
    Would definitely do it again over 2 days next time, aimimng to reach Pateley Bridge on day one.

Edit: muddydwarf, its mainly tarmac although there are a couple of stretches either side of York where theyre cinder paths but they didn’t cause any problems. I had no punctures running 25mm Continue Grand Prix.

Edit Edit: if you want any advice, feel free to drop me an email (in profile)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cheers, will take you up on that offer when I’m putting it together.
    Would you say its doable in a day?

Bregante
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh Bregante can we all mail you ??

This looks like a decent route and one I looked at too late last year to do, what with spring on its way I’m thinking I could fit this in this Jan 😆

jerrys
    Free Member

I’m hoping to do it this summer. I used to live in one of the villages it goes through in the 70’s (Nafferton – home of the latest bird flu outbreak) and went to school in Pocklington (also on route) so will bring back memories.

I’ve got a cunning plan of making a circular route by linking it with the w2w (Whitby to Walney) or the classic C2C, so I can actually start from Nafferton, but the plan is only in the pipedream phase 🙂

midlifecrashes

I did it in May last year, took three days over it. Took my time to stop at the views and take photos, pop in to the attractions along the way and have a natter with folks along the way. It’s very easy to follow, well signposted. I did mine Morecambe to Pateley Bridge day one, then York, then finish. I stayed in the Travelodge in Morecambe the night before starting, a B&B in Patelely and the YHA in York. At the Brid end there’s a direct train home for me.

It’s a fantastic route, the first section coming away from the coast brings you through Lancaster, then up the river to the Crook o’ Lune and up onto the higher ground. Up and along the tops and into Yorkshire before dropping into Settle. Big hill out of Settle if it’s a hot day, you’re carrying way too much kit and you’ve had a big lunch in the Old Naked Man (not JohnDoh, it’s the name of a cafe) and it’s up and down along the dales heading for Nidderdale. From Pateley it’s a big pull out of town, then up past Brimham Rocks and on to Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal(good loos and big tea room). Then into and through Ripon and you’re into the vale of York. Through Boroughbridge and the villages and the last few miles into York are on cyclepaths by the river. From York there’s a couple of miles of fiddling on cyclepaths through the suburbs before hitting the lanes again, and the only non-tarmac bit, about a mile and a half of field edge track. On through the villages to Pocklington and you meet the Wolds and gain height again. From here the route loses focus a bit and sends you off on long detours to avoid the main roads, but those roads are grim so just accept it, into and around Driffield and eventually onto the moor above Brid for a nice roll in to the finish.

Anyway, I’m rambling, here’s some pics.

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/midlifecrashes/WayOfTheRoses/story

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ midlifecrashes, good write up there and crackin pics, just looking at bed and breakfasts etc, it could be a goer for march, trying to convince a work mate to join me 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Remember to buy the Sustrans map to follow the route. It isn’t essential but it’s really good and you are giving money to the people who worked hard to provide you with a nice way marked route and better access.

I think the maps are really good and have just the right amount of detail, with enough coverage to go off the official route if you fancy a detour.

midlifecrashes

They sell them in tourist info shop in Settle, in case you leave home without your own. 😳

deets

I know it quite well now and I’d agree that it’s the best of the coast to coast routes I’ve done, great route.

Thoughts and advice on my blog: https://deetsman.wordpress.com/2014/04/16/the-way-of-the-roses/

ton

stumpy, i might be up for 2 days of this. let me know your plans

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve been bought for Xmas the whole Los Las Cymru route, plus 3 route maps which will take me 260 miles from Huddersfield to London!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Another one declaring an interest stumpy

terrahawk
    Free Member

doable in a day, just make sure you go in the same direction as the wind (170 miles into a headwind isn’t much fun) and you get to the end before the chippy closes.

Nice route, I think I’ll have another go in the spring.

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

This is also on my 2015 to do list.

Is there anyway (or point) of missing the bridleway looking parts?

Any recommendations for a stop over in or near Patley Bridge?

sandwicheater

Bookmarked, needed a little fun weekend on my tod this summer. This ticks most of the boxes.

robdob
    Free Member

This is also on my 2015 to do list.

It’s doable on a road bike if you miss the off road parts. The Sustrans map of the route I have gives an alternative route.

midlifecrashes

Yes, coming out of York, when you reach the York Auction Centre(cattle and farm stuff)/Dunnington, take the A166 road to Stamford Bridge, about four miles. It’s a busy road though, and the surface on the off road sections is good enough for skinny tyres, I rode that section with three lads on lightweight roadies and they had no problems.

In my photos there are some rough looking sections, these aren’t on the route. I took a short detour on the Pennine Bridleway between Clapham and Austwick, (Ingleborough Hall tunnels/Thwaite Lane) which is definitely not road bike terrain. The official route skirts south about a mile earlier, but I wanted to ride the tunnels route for the fun of it.

fizzer
    Free Member

An account of our trip here:

http://wayoftheroses.info/news/story/all_in_a_day

Yes well worth the trip

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Waay of the roses .. anyone rode it ?’ is closed to new replies.