Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • W/A lens for DSLR
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’ve got a 18-70D lens on my D80. I want a wider lens (prime rather than zoom) with perspective of a 24mm ‘normal’ but I’m a little unsure what the options are. Am I right in thinking 18 digital equates to around 30 ‘normal’? If I’m right I need to get a D lens of around 15mm, but if I go for a non-D lens what do I go for to give 24mm on a DSLR?!?
    My head hurts………..

wysiwyg
    Free Member
    stuartie_c
    Free Member

If you want a 24mm equivalent, divide by the camera’s crop factor.

D80 has a DX format sensor with a crop factor of 1.5.

24 / 1.5 = 16

So you need a 16mm lens to give you a 24mm “35mm film SLR” equivalent FOV

oldgrump08
    Free Member

16mm prime is going to be expensive, so I guess it’s a new D lens….

fontmoss
    Free Member

lastdon i think has a fisheye sigma, might be a cheaper alternative until decide on a focal length?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so I guess it’s a new D lens….

you seem to be under a misapprehension – a DX lens can be a prime, the ‘DX’ just means the lens has a smaller image circle. It has no effect on the focal length

oldgrump08
    Free Member

sfb – bad choice of words, I meant a very wide nikkor would be huuuugely expensive whereas I think a wide D lens from e.g. sigma wouldn’t be as expensive. If you get my drift…..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

…or you could take multiple shots and composite them like I do 🙂

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Can’t be a*sed photoshopping etc, still like to get the shot in camera as I did on film (eg not very often in spite of taking a heap of frames!).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

still like to get the shot in camera as I did on film

this kind of semi-luddite ‘purism’ has always puzzled me, after all, the world is not packaged into fixed arbitrary rectangular slots, and I almost always feel the need to crop my photos to fit the actual subject, never mind any other manipulations needed. As for Photoshopping, I use PTGUI for compositing, and it’s almost automatic.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Luddite no, numpty yes. Can’t be bothered finding my way around programmes which from what I’ve seen are less than straightforward. Oh yeah, and I believe it or not actually ENJOY getting the shot I want, which is what it’s all about.

Pickers

Does it have to be a prime lens? I use a Sigma 10-20mm zoom in Nikon fit (15-30mm 35mm equiv) which works very well indeed.
    As regards Photoshop et al, I have no objection to making the most of an image this way but I do prefer to get a decent original to start with.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Pickers – that one hasn’t come up in the searches I’ve done. Any more info on it??

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and I believe it or not actually ENJOY getting the shot I want, which is what it’s all about.

I enjoy LOOKING, all the time, and the final product when it works well, but connecting the two isn’t so much a matter of enjoyment, any more than breathing is 🙂

Pickers

Got mine here – http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1007711 – gone up a bit since I had mine but still way cheaper than the Nikon equivalent

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Hey, if it was easy we wouldn’t bother 😉

Cheers Pickers.

Pickers

Obviously other online camera accessory retailers are available…..

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

tokina 11-16 f2.8

check it works with the D80 first

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

That little Sigma is a nice lens – seen some stunning images taken with them over the years.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Just have to find one on offer, then!

igm

Just got the 10-20 too. Seems nice, good reviews, practice shots coming out OK – just don’t expect to use it with a cheap flash.

Nikon fit and I’m based in York so if you’re local (ish) and want a play let me know.

Iain

GrahamS

Sigma 10-20 here too. Not a prime obviously but still very sharp.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“Sigma 10-20 here too. Not a prime obviously but still very sharp. “

judging by most reviews on the sigma 10-20, it is a ‘try before you buy’ lens as some are sharp and some are not. just iffy manufacturing QC apparently.

if you buy mail order and it’s not giving good images then send it back and ask to try another. A good reason to use a local shop if they will get close to the online price

marionheck
    Free Member

I would second / third / fourth or what ever the sigma. Unfortuantely you are 2 weeks too late, I just sold mine (have gone full frame)

there are quite a few on ebay……

Cheers

Dave

joolzed
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sigma 10-20mm up for grabs if you’re interested. Mint condition.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

joolzed – interested, ta v.much. Could you e-mail me andybu@gmail.com?

Like your site by the way!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘W/A lens for DSLR’ is closed to new replies.