Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • W10 question
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Any bright ideas?
    Every so often both computers won’t shut down immediately. When I go to shut down the best I get is an update and then shut down option.
    I don’t to do this . Often when I shut down I want to do it then. Eg leaving work or walking off with laptop. 5 minutes hangingg around isn’t I want to do. Computers are meant to be my slave not the other way round.
    Can I this?

nickjb
    Free Member

Press and hold the power button on every laptop I’ve owned.

scaredypants

you don’t have to sit at work and watch it shutting down – I’m guessing once you tell it to update & die, then it can’t be stopped by anyone else, so why wait around.

Laptop – can’t you just close the lid and go ?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Because if you shut the lid down it goes to sleep and doesn’t like it.

holst
    Free Member

You can set when it installs updates if you browse around the settings.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Because if you shut the lid down it goes to sleep and doesn’t like it.

I assume you mean if it’s updating and you shut the lid it doesn’t like it. I think the suggestion is to just shut the lid without shutting the laptop down first. Then you can set it to update and restart at some point while you get coffee or something.

bigdean

Just looked into updatex for home computer and mrs laptop. You can set the nerwork to metered connection. Win 10 wont automaticly download updates then instead it will tell you they are available.

Del

presume you mean it’s going to sleep rather than shutting down if you close the lid. alter the power settings so that shutting the lid shuts it down.

Cougar

I think that if you use the power icon in the bottom right corner of the ctrl-alt-del screen it gives you an option to shut down without applying updates.

Failing that, minimising / closing all windows so that the desktop has focus (Win-D) and then pressing Alt-F4 will pop up the ‘classic’ shutdown dialogue which will almost certainly give you the option to shut down without installing updates.

Press and hold the power button on every laptop I’ve owned.

That’s a really bad idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘W10 question’ is closed to new replies.