Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • VY Canis Majoris, now my world is upside down
  • eth3er
    Free Member

Always had a passing interest in astronomy, been watching Professor Brian Cox on BBC4, loved it; so i went to find out more. The scale of things is so infinitely mind boggling my heard hurts and I’m feeling slight.

That’s what I learnt today.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Explain please.

I quite often boggle my own mind by thinking about stuff.

GrahamS

This one does it for me:

— Carl Sagan (slightly misquoted)

To me this means two important things:
    1) it is pretty likely we are not alone in the universe (though sadly we may never make contact)
    2) God must have been really busy on that fourth day when he created the stars…

boxelder

Sand’s more useful though, really.

GrahamS

Without sand I wouldn’t be writing this (silicon).

Without our star we wouldn’t exist.

eth3er
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEheh1BH34Q[/video]

stuartie_c
    Free Member

VY Canis Majoris isn’t the same as Sirius is it?

Sirius is small and close, VY CMa is big and far away (I think).

If you’re having trouble comprehending it, just remember the wisdom of Father Ted…

muddy@rseguy

Brian cox: awesome Physicist and populariser of science, and he was rather good in “The Bourne Identity” too 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If

you’re having trouble comprehending it, just remember the wisdom of Father Ted…

Don’t. They tried telling me it was Gatwick, when all along it was Farnborough airport. 😥

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just remember that you’re standing on a planet that’s evolving
    And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
    That’s orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it’s reckoned,
    A sun that is the source of all our power.
    The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
    Are moving at a million miles a day
    In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
    Of the galaxy we call the “Milky Way”.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
    It’s a hundred thousand light years side to side.
    It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
    But out by us, it’s just three thousand light years wide.
    We’re thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
    We go ’round every two hundred million years,
    And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
    In this amazing and expanding universe

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
    In all of the directions it can whizz
    As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
    Twelve million miles a minute, and that’s the fastest speed there is.
    So remember, when you’re feeling very small and insecure,
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
    And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
    ‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.

GrahamS

Things can only get better…

j_me
    Free Member

No stars = No sand

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pollux! 🙂

(Giggles uncontrollably at the sheer mind-bogglingness of it all)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Betelgeuse is a bit of a big old mofo too, and easy to see because it’s it’s only about 640 light years away (though there’s a high margin of error in that measurement).

Or to put it another way, the light we see from it tonight left it sometime in the 14th Century when our ancestors would have been dressed in rough smocks whilst standing on a riverbank and throwing turnips at a witch.

(This still happens in some parts of Fife.)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Check diss, and prepare to be even more emboggled:

Scale of the Universe

eth3er
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0lxbzgwW7I[/video]

Here is another.
    Bleedin ‘ell elfin, i’m off to drink something strong now.

MrOvershoot

That’s great eth3er only thing is I need to go to sleep now, & my mind will get annoyed at the petty stuff @ work compared to this.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And people think it all started with a small point that went kaboom.

Big Bang Bollocks.

GrahamS

And people think it all started with a small point that went kaboom.

If the universe is uniformly expanding everywhere and everything is (observably) getting further apart, then surely the idea that everything was once closer together, isn’t really that hard to accept.

The only difficult bit is how close and what caused them to separate.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, but some tiny point with all the shit around us contained in it? And it just went fart. And 4 and whatever billion years later we’ve got all this sand? Yeah right.

Big
    Bang
    Bollocks.

Complete bollocks.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Enough of all this flim flam… I’m gonna start believing in God, makes a lot more sense.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well you can kinda understand why Einstein did, and Hawkins does.

Big Bang my arse.

I saw two cars going away from one another. Only thing was, they passed one another on the motorway, sofor a second they were really close together. But they started out further apart.

eth3er
    Free Member

Advance a view DD. Saying ************ isn’t intelligent discourse, lets pretend were are mature.

T666DOM

Next thing DD you’ll be saying evolution is wrong.

GrahamS

Yeah, but some tiny point with all the shit around us contained in it?

I’m not sure that it is a “tiny point” like the head of a pin. We don’t really have the foggiest notion of what it might have been like before the Planck epoch as we don’t understand enough about quantum physics yet.

It only starts from a “singularity with infinite density” if we ignore quantum gravity. There may be other explanations once we understand that.

Point is, it is a working model, one that the brightest people in the world more or less agree on and can make observations that fit with it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why should I advance a view?

So everything, all this wonderment of stars and planets and stuff just came from a pinhead? Lolcopters.

Get the bejesus outta here 🙂

All because some physicists can’t really understand…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bleedin ‘ell elfin

😀

I now, mad, in’t it?

Whenever I get going on a good mind-boggling sesh, all these petty arguments of is there/isn’t there a god/s just fade into insignificance.

If that’s the case, and all these things are so vast and we’re on one teeny tiny speck of dust in the whole scale of things, I don’t think it really matters what we think. Therefore just think what you like, if it makes you happy and gives you some sense of meaning to things.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m cool with evolution. I like that it gets things wrong sometimes. Right now, I’ve got a spot on my chin caused by my skin deciding to reject a bristle that turned back 180 degrees on itself only a mm or so away from where it started. And yesterday, I, a supposedly highly evolved human, bit my tongue. Intelligent design my arse.

eth3er
    Free Member

Graham, what do you do? I’m only asking as you seem to have rather brilliant knowledge and may just become my 6th favorite person. I am really interested in knowing a more about our galaxies.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Planck Epoch…

I notice the phrase:

it is believed

GrahamS

So everything, all this wonderment of stars and planets and stuff just came from a pinhead? Lolcopters.

Is one possible explanation. Though “pinhead” is a difficult measurement because it is “infinitely dense” and space-time is distorted beyond our comprehension so its dimensions are meaningless.

Black holes are observable and show similar properties: they are thought to contain a gravitational singularity where space-time curvature is infinite.

GrahamS

Graham, what do you do?

I google a lot 🙂

CountZero

I’m waiting for DD to expound his theory on how the universe started. It seems like he subscribes to the ‘steady state’ theory. Which is fine, but doesn’t really explain all the background radio noise, or how come everything is red shifting. Come on DD, let’s hear it.

GrahamS

I notice the phrase:
    it is believed

Yes, that’s how scientific models work. I doubt many credible scientists would say “it is a known fact” for anything around the big bang. All they can say is “we have this theory, based on our understanding of the laws of physics, which appears to be supported by this evidence

If you want more definitive answers than that then try a church 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’m going shopping for a telescope tomorrow so I can get a better look at all this crazy shit.

Really, I am. Except, I won’t be going anywhere near a shop. Instead I’ll press some keys on my wireless keyboard and click my wireless mouse and some electromagnetic perturbations will be transmitted across my wireless network and one will arrive at my house a few days later.

Except it won’t, because all the wonders of the universe and the brave, pioneering spirit of our Earth-bound scientists can still be brought sharply into check by the banal hopelessness of our postal system and I’ll have to trudge over to a delivery depot on the outskirts of Livingston or Glenrothes and wait whilst an short, aggressive man ignores me for an hour before wresting a muddied card from my hand, sighing loudly and grunting at one of his fellow dementors who will deliver a sorry, broken package to my hands and rendering all the wonders above me forever mute and dark.

Perhaps I should just side with deadlydarcy. It’s easier that way, isn’t it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m waiting for CountZero to discover the concept of paragraphs. Maybe next year.

Ah **** it, it’s a lazy troll at best. I’m off to say my bedtime prayers. All the best for 2011 stargazers. Can any of you see my future in the movements? I’m Cancer btw. 😉

But come on…Big Bang? Really? Nah…bollocks!! 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There may be other explanations

I think this is the safest option, and I’m sticking with that. 🙂

CountZero

Why should I bother with paragraphs on such a short post? Nobody else worries much, and I’m not writing a magazine article, so why should it bother you?
    Not an editor by any chance, are you?
    Or just a pedant?
    As it happens, I’ve spent many hours laying out book pages, casting-off copy, pasting-up said pages, proof-reading,
    editing and correcting. I do actually have a clue. This is an Internet forum, I’m not being paid to edit it or lay it out properly so I really couldn’t give a shit what it looks like. Only the spelling. Is that ok with you?
    (Rhetorical question, I don’t actually give a toss one way or another).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Everyone chill out and be nice please. Like me. 🙂

All that amazingness. Let’s not spoil it by arguing.

eth3er
    Free Member

I’m borrowing my friend’s telescope tomorrow. The sky needs investigating. I need to see more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘VY Canis Majoris, now my world is upside down’ is closed to new replies.