Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi BXE engine poll
  • sideshow
    Free Member

I’m sure plenty of you have these cars, and with this engine (code starting BXE in the logbook).

Some of you probably know the internet is full of reports of the engine dying when a conrod fails and punctures either the head or the block => economic writeoff of the car.

In the interests of balance who has a BXE engine that’s still running well?
    Please state plate on car (07/57/08/58 etc) and mileage 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

I have never looked in the log book..if I do and find BXE my car WILL die. I’m lucky like that!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m not sure you’ll find many that have not died when the conrod has jumped out 🙁

sideshow
    Free Member

The hard thing is working out how many BXEs are out there compared to the number of complaints. I wonder if VAG would reveal this if you asked via FoI?

Apologies for the monday morning TLA overload

jam-bo

I wonder if VAG would reveal this if you asked via FoI?

only public organisations have obligations under the FOI act.

matt_outandabout

BXE = 1.9tdi?

Matt24k
    Free Member

1.9 TDI 105hp BXE engines were fitted to VW,Audi Seat and Skoda vehicles from Feb 2006 through to April 2010

allthegear
    Free Member

I had one – Skoda Ocatvia 105bhp. January 2006. Was on 140000 miles when I sold it 2 years ago and, according to a quick MOT online checkup, it is still going strong.

oops – January is before February, isn’t it 😳

Rachel

mjrose
    Free Member

57 plate Octy 105bhp BXE engine with 195k here. It’s been very reliable too with less than £1000 spent on non-service items in the last 140k.

sideshow
    Free Member

@Matt24k that’s a longer period than I thought. Does that mean all (or most) 1.9 TDI 105ps engines from 2006-2010 are BXE?

@mjrose – nice 🙂

Matt24k
    Free Member

@sideshow there are loads of conflicting references regarding the BXE engine and how it can fail. The thing to bear in mind is that there are probably hundreds of thousands of these units in use with lots of variants and different types of failure. Various theories about under spec’d oil pumps, soft cams, substandard conrods and or shells. The list goes on as does the list of engines that have covered 150k miles with no problems.
    The common belief is that the oil needs changing on a more regular basis that the long life schedule states.

mjrose
    Free Member

To add to the confusion. All long life services too, albeit with the correct spec oil and mapped since 60k too.

sideshow
    Free Member

@Matt I thought that bxe being an engine code means a single variant?

Where do you get your “hundreds of thousands” estimate from? If it’s true then as you say bxes are probably fine. but how do we know most of the other related engines out there aren’t under another code implying bxe are genuinely faulty?

Matt24k
    Free Member

@sideshow you are correct that the BXE is a specific variant of the VW 1.9 R4 TDI PD 43-118kW engine.
    The info below is from Wiki.
    Essentially, this ubiquitous engine has the same bottom end (cylinder block/crankcase, crankshaft) as the earlier 1.9 R4 TDI which uses a VP37 VerteilerPumpe distributor injection pump. However, a new cylinder head is fitted to this “PD” engine, to accommodate “Pumpe Düse” Unit Injectors.
    identification
    parts code prefix: 038, 03G

Here’s the link
    My hundreds of thousands is a very rough estimate.
    Loads of interesting theories here

snownrock

Someone out there will be driving my old Fabia with this engine then, clocked up 130k miles in 5 years without issue when I sold in 2013, good luck to them!

sideshow
    Free Member

Good link to the other thread, I hadn’t seen that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi BXE engine poll’ is closed to new replies.