Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • VWists. Old Tdi Passat alternator removal?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Our old Passat’s (W reg, 1.9 tdi) alternator was goosed, we replaced the car. I’d like to try and fit another alternator as the car is too good to scrap.

I went to remove the alternator only to find the lower mounting bolt can’t be fully removed as it hits the rear side of the radiator fan. It looks as though I will have to remove the whole cast alloy bracket that the power steering pump is also mounted to. Is that the only way to get the offending bolt out?

wwaswas

don’t listen to anything molgrips says – he completely gutted his Passat to change a wiper blade 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I have removed the alternator on a B4 Passat actually, but it was not a TDI engine it was a TD, and I can’t remember any issues with it. Sorry!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks folks, I just found this.
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=200181

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Fix it day at Moont Towers. After a bit of faffage trying to make an alternative to the special VW pulley locking tool I discovered that my Facom ratchet pliers would hold it just as well. Scrappy alternator for £18 all back in and charging perfectly. A couple of wee things for the MOT and I’ll fire it on ebay.

molgrips
    Free Member

Result. Good work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘VWists. Old Tdi Passat alternator removal?’ is closed to new replies.