Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • VW Van Bonnets
  • peekay

Why do lots of vans, most commonly VW vans have different coloured, or patterned bonnets?

This is a genuine question, and although a slight bit trolly I would quite like to know the answer as somebody pointed it out to me the other day and I had never considered it before. If it is just a decorative thing then fair enough, everyone is free to decorate the things that they own however they like and it does not harm anybody.

Are the bonnets of VW vans prone to rust and it is the equivalent of covering a land Rover in checker plate to hide the rust?

Is it an updating of a long standing VW tradition, dating back to a previous actual purpose for coloured bonnets? (like having decorated mini roofs which I guess came from a need to identify the cars in races, like a jockey’s jersey?). The only thing I can think of that would explain this is maybe older vans which had spare wheels on the front that needed covering.

Is that how they come, are they all second hand vans in the livery of the same company, in the same way as you see lots of ex AA or post office vans?

Is it purely decorative? If so, why only the bonnet?

Is it something else?

Thanks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

vertical bonnet gets lots of chips and rusts lots .

see an un cherished model without a bonnet wrap on and they look like they stole the bonnet off a vito.

mrhoppy

Are you seeing bonnet bras? They protect he bonnet from chips, which because they’re fairly vertical they pick up easily.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s “scene”. Same as having a huge VW logo or “Transporters – Campers In Disguise” on the van.

kayak23

Gang colours/affiliation.

peekay

That could explain it. Thanks.

The ones I usually see are matte black, or checkered. I assumed that they were painted on.

I always thought that bonnet bras were the padded ones that you more often see in colder countries used to insulate the engine. Are they also called bras?

MoreCashThanDash

bonnet bras were the padded ones that you more often see in colder countries used to insulate the engine. Are they also called bras

💡

*Runs off to Dragons Den*

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its bloody horrendous, thats what it is.

There are a lot of VW van owners who basically think the best way to modify their vans is to pick up the Vanstyle/VanX/Travelinlite catalogue and buy everything. Absolutely everything. And attach all of it to the van. I think their logic is “tastefully modified = must buy as much aftermarket stuff as possible”.

Which I believe is flawed.

What you’re seeing OP is a tiny minority who use bonnet bras to actually protect the bonnet paintwork on long journeys and the other 99% just because its the ‘done’ thing… to wrap/attach a bonnet bra to ‘protect’ whats most probably the crustiest, scabby paintwork ever underneath.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You’ll love this DaveyBoyWonder (not mine, spotted on eBay)

maccruiskeen

why only the bonnet?

Its a small panel and theres only one of them. So its cheap.

mattbee

Irony is that bonnet bras tend to rub the paintwork and cause just as much damage as they supposedly stop.
    99% of the time it’s just ‘scene’. An easy and cheap way to tart up a van. See also Quicksilver decals, or the worst of all, “One Life, Live It”. Bit like snorkels and light bars on Land Rovers. Essentially pointless but it marks you out as a clan member rather than just a vehicle owner.
    FWIW, my T5 wore a half bra for a week when I knew I would be driving looks of poorly maintained and gravel roads but I took it off sharpish afterwards as I thought it looked gash. Each to their own though.

peekay

So is a decorated bonnet on a van the new equivalent of a spare wheel cover on a 4×4 with a poorly painted picture of a howling werewolf?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I currently have 21 rusty stone chips of various sizes on the bonnet of my otherwise white T4. 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the new equivalent of a spare wheel cover on a 4×4 with a poorly painted picture of a howling werewolf?

That or the slightly crude cartoon… It’s called being individual man (Mac, iPhone & transporter tick 😉 )

Del

darker colour will also reflect less light from a low sun in to the cab.
    incidentally, checker-plate is used on the wings of landies not to cover rust on the wings but to provide grip when you’re standing on them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ncidentally, checker-plate is used on the wings of landies not to cover rust on the wings but to provide grip when you’re standing on them

Yeah but on vertical surfaces at the bottom of.doors and rear x member etc basically anywhere vertical (and you can’t stand on a vertical surface) is hidinf corrosion . I can’t stand vertical chequer plate it just screams cheap bodge.

I have some chequer on my wing tops for the reason you describe but it has no place on any vertical surface.

Del

I concur!

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at vans for a little while now. There is a lot of shite out there. As far as I can tell Transporters are massively overpriced and pretty dubious mechanically, also the T4 forum is full of people who overuse the word ‘mate’.

There are some really classy, understated conversions out there, but they seem to be few and far between. The whole blue LEDs and massive carpeted VW logo thing has put me off a bit TBH. I’ll freely admit to being a snob though. 🙂

I’m struggling to see past a Wellhouse Terrier TBH, the conversion appears to be really well thought out and the sliding rail system looks like a winner.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You’ll love this DaveyBoyWonder (not mine, spotted on eBay)

I’m not a fan but I kinda half know the owner through social media and his balls must be the size of melons to run his van that low on coilovers.

vorlich – agree. When we were looking for ours, the number of vans with carpeted VW logos all over the interior, multi coloured LED lighting, lairy interiors, massive TVs etc were just totally off putting. My rule is if it’d look crap in my house, why would I want to go away for weekends in something that looked like Laurence Llelwyn-Bowen had had some kind of seizure in it.

I’m a snob too and happy to admit it. As mentioned further up, a lot of people especially in the VW van scene (MUCH less so in the car scene) are happy to bolt as much tat onto their vans as possible. Everyones free to do what they want – its not my style! Less is more.

bob_summers

the T4 forum is full of people who overuse the word ‘mate’

I’ve always wondered why I’ve been a member there for years but never bothered using it,and I think you’ve just nailed it.

eskay

peekay – Member

Are the bonnets of VW vans prone to rust and it is the equivalent of covering a land Rover in checker plate to hide the rust?

Aren’t Land Rover panels made from aluminium?

benjamins11
    Free Member

Aren’t Land Rover panels made from aluminium

Its electrolytic corrosion its not true rust

peekay

Do not do a Google image search of the windscreen sticker on the white one above whilst at work.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

or the worst of all, “One Life, Live It”

Not just me then. They seems to be a side effect that applying one of those decals adds 30% to the weight of the driver.

“One Pie, Eat it”

Mister-P
    Free Member

“You can go fast, I can go anywhere” is a Land Rover favourite.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

What I like about the T5 and landrover scene is that no 2 are the same.

mattbee

Only in the sense that they are different vehicles. Having either had LR or VW vans for my driving life I think the LR contingent do tend to be different, although there are plenty who just seem to want to be on the front cover of the Nene Overland catalogue or have covered it in glue & driven through Paddocks despite living in suburban Surrey.
    The T5 generally seems to end up with 18-20″ wheels, 4″ lowered suspension, Sportline style bumpers and tinted windows. Maybe either some stick on chrome, Audi style headlights or big vinyl decals (possibly even all of them). Inside will almost always have a 3/4 r&r bed with units down the side, probably some sort of led lighting and charcoal grey megavanmats carpet lining. The last thing I think they are is individual. (Remember I am an ex T5 owner, back in a LR atm)

Mugboo

The bit I don’t get it is why they all insist on going camping together? I love going camping with friends but why with random strangers because they have a similar van?
    T4 owner by the way, no bonnet bra or stickers but I have debadged it and put half smoked rear lights and clear indicators on, I’m 45 and still stuck in 80’s GTI land 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

It is like the hanky code.

VanHalen

The bit I don’t get it is why they all insist on going camping together? I love going camping with friends but why with random strangers because they have a similar van

so you dont chat to other riders at a race? the van is a hobby – its nice to get nerdy with like minded people sometimes. and camping a drinking beer is fun. Often teh camping coincides with shows so people with more time and posher vans get to show off and run of the mill owners get to dream/drool and plan.

i still love the BMW/vw van i camped opposite years ago at run to teh sun. absolutley bonkers and brilliant.

my bus has a bra and stickers – its a customisation thing and a bit of fun. stuff should be fun. if i was sensible i`d have a focus but how shit would that be?

Scapegoat

Has anyone thought of the ultimate irony? Decorating a VW Bonnet to look like a monkey’s forehead?

Simon

Mugboo – Member
    The bit I don’t get it is why they all insist on going camping together? I love going camping with friends but why with random strangers because they have a similar van?

When you get to the ‘Ard Rock you might think you’ve turned up for a T4/T5 owners club camping weekend 🙂

DrP

The bit I don’t get it is why they all insist on going camping together?

Well, presumably you’d meet up with bike riders you don’t know??!!

DrP

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I can’t wait to go to the t4/t5 festival in Reeth next month 🙂

Mugboo

Good point Si! Do you need any alloys, my mate has some nice ones with new tyres.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Was that the mid-engined, spaced framed bay window running a BMW lump Van Halen?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘VW Van Bonnets’ is closed to new replies.