• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • VW / VAG Emissions fix, issues after?
  • garage-dweller

Anyone else suffering with a much higher number of regens?

Had my 170tdi dsg done about two months ago and very quickly after that the obvious regen frequency seems to have increased.

The car gets a good 20 minutes a day of unbroken motorway driving at 60-70mph plus regular longer runs and relatively few short journies (albeit with some stop start motorway stuff chucked in).

I’m quite anal about how my car’s running so notice the little tell tale signs. I’d heard a suggestion that the fix was causing higher ash generation to reduce NOx levels. Robbing Peter to pay Paul!

It wasn’t like this before and it’s been serviced by VW with no reported faults since.

downshep

Mine’s been fine with no discernible difference other than a complementary garish green brolly and thermal mug. (2.0 TDI 140)

craigxxl
    Free Member

You may want to read this

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/autocar-test-shows-worse-economy-after-volkswagen-diesel-fix

My brother had his Octavia VRS fixed whilst I didn’t. Driving them back to back his felt gutless driving normally around town, needing more revs to to produce the same performance. Over 3,000rpm there wasn’t much difference between them but driving a diesel around at those RPMs isn’t realistic and will kill your economy.

Plenty of other instances of this with other users too whilst f you visit the various VW, Audi and Skoda forums.

garage-dweller

Thanks Craig was looking for something not too full of hyperbole and oddly that didn’t come up with my googling.

I’m guessing VW won’t do a roll back and I can’t be dealing with the insurance headache and risk of an aftermarket remap. Which leaves me driving it and hoping it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. The economy I can just about deal with, it’s a knackered egr or dpf that’ll cause the pain.

I’ll see how it goes for a while but a trade in vs. a petrol car wouldn’t be unattractive right now !

burko73

Girl who works for me had her Tiguan done now it’s in garage as won’t start when it’s hot. VW won’t acknowledge it’s their fault.

Could be unrelated but no probs before recall.

Waiting to get my 140 golf done. Thought I’d hang out until the bitter end.

Thing is the us cheat was about fiddling a test not general performance. I guess they’re trying to wind the performance back to the test data rather than remove the test setting?

Before anyone goes crazy at me I walk/ cycle to work and the car isn’t doing stratospheric mileage.

The whole thing everyone seems to have missed in all this debate about cars and pollution is we need to rethink how we use cars full stop, not just use electric ones to do the same thing. Look at the m3 between Southampton and London in the morning. It’s crazy, pretty much the whole se is one vehicle breakdown away from gridlock.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’m not going to bother unless I have to at some point.

crapjumper
    Free Member

I had my 1.6tdi Jetta done about 4 months ago and performance wise it’s seems exactly the same as before but since then I’ve had to have the throttle body and the mass airflow sensor cleaned out . The flap in the throttle body was gunked up and was sticking open. The wife also reckons it’s a bit heavier on juice since the fix . It may all be coincidence but vw would never put their hands up to it anyway

stumpy01

We’ve got the 2 litre 140 TDI in our Ibiza.
    No way we are having it done having seen all the problems online.
    There’s a massive thread on Honest John about it – Google EA189 issues and you’ll find it.

Seen some before and after rolling road tests that show the engine is down on power and torque up to around 2500rpm after the ‘fix’.

The fix isn’t compulsory, although we’ve just received our ‘final reminder’… 😆

gobuchul
    Free Member

needing more revs to to produce the same performance.

I thought maxtorque had highlighted that this is bobbins on the remap thread?

Your vehicle speed for a given engine speed is exactly the same and has nothing to do with the mapping, unless you have a new gearbox.

jimplops

Had our tiguan done at the beginning of the year, was doing regens every 300miles after it, but I’d been using esso as it was on way to work, since swapping back to shell it’s back to 600miles min between regens, it is flatter power wise between 1k and 2k revs.

Jason
    Free Member

I have the 170TDi engine in my A5, I had the emissions fix a few months ago. I can’t say I have noticed much change in performance. I think I have noticed more regens going on – I can only tell when parked up and the engine fans keep running – not sure how often it happens while I am driving.

Rubbish free gifts from Audi when I had mine done. Some sort of stick down boot organiser – which doesn’t work in my car as I have a boot liner, and one of the coat hangers that fits behind the drivers seat – no plans to fit that to the car. When they rang me to make sure I was happy with the service I did say it looked like they had just left some unwanted rubbish from the service department in my boot and would they like it back, they declined. I would have been happy with a key ring.

jimplops

We got a free vw brolly and pen as an apology.

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought maxtorque had highlighted that this is bobbins on the remap thread

He means performance in terms of acceleration, not speed.

stumpy01

gobuchul – Member

I thought maxtorque had highlighted that this is bobbins on the remap thread?

Your vehicle speed for a given engine speed is exactly the same and has nothing to do with the mapping, unless you have a new gearbox.

Maybe he is having to stay in lower gears for longer (e.g higher revs) to achieve the same performance rather than shift gear and make use of the low down torque (that some people are reporting this ‘fix’ messes up)

craigxxl
    Free Member

I thought maxtorque had highlighted that this is bobbins on the remap thread

He means performance in terms of acceleration, not speed.

Correct. It was taking longer to pick up through the revs and once it was around 3k rpm it would take off again.
    We did the same circuit back to back in both cars, changing who was driving to compare them. The circuit was quite twisty with a section of traffick calming giveways, various junctions and a steep hill. Mine was giving instant response to the throttle and my brothers delayed as if it suffered from turbo lag.
    I sold mine without having the fix mainly because the build quality was garbage. My brother still has his but had it remapped as he was struggling to tow his caravan after the fix.

Drac

I’ve got 2.0 TDi 184Bhp it doesn’t need doing. 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

yeah, but with the blue light on the roof and the bed in the boot it probably needs all 184 😛

Still happy not to have had our 2.0 Passat done.

Drac

yeah, but with the blue light on the roof and the bed in the boot it probably needs all 184

The work one isn’t 184 version.

Stoner
    Free Member

damn tory cuts!

Drac

😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘VW / VAG Emissions fix, issues after?’ is closed to new replies.