Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • VW Transporter bike rack
  • thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Saw the other day, as it drove past, a transporter with a bike rack with the bikes hanging upright and held through the fork maxles. Looked good, bit North shore style. Rack looked fixed to rear door. But cannot find anything online that is similar. Homemade job you think?
    Anyone seen similar?

hainman
    Free Member

Closest I’ve seen is the Saris one that hangs bikes upright

nickdavies

I’ve seen a homemade job before with Thule pro rides attached to a rear rack. I’ve also seen an American uptight mount but it’s tow bar. Was it red the one you saw? There’s a few pics of it over on the t5 forum.

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Hi. Not the saris one – wheels not on bike Don’t think it’s red. Couldn’t find the T5 forum one.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Theres been someone on the T5 forum FB page who attached sea suckers to the roof or something and hung the bikes off the back door. Looked like a retarded idea as the cranks and pedals were able to hit the doors IIRC.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You mean one like this:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1461805/Bike-falls-overtaking-car-going-50mph.html

(sorry for the link to the Daily mail but that is what the search came up with)

I’d probably stick to something a bit more tried and tested. Besides i’m struggling to see the benefit of mounting the bikes in that orientation. The bikes would stick out much further than a bike in a more conventional orientation.

I’ve seen one on a Fiesta or something like that.

nickdavies

This is the one i’m thinking of on the forum – it’s on a vivaro. The one I can remember seeing was a T4 but broadly similar.

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Cool. Not the one I saw, but similar concept.

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

@wobliscott. Not like this. No front wheels, mounted through fork axle. Wouldn’t stick out as far. Benefits over the tow bar mounted one I already have – could be left on, the side by side mounting of bikes on the horizontal they are too close and trying to fit 4 bikes, always a nightmare, scratches etc. Unless you have 4 skinny road bikes they take too long to mount and are generally bullshit. Including the genuine vw fold down one. Mounted by maxles to an already fitted and not sticky out bike rack – quick, neat, scratch and bullshit free.

nickdavies

The problem with that for mtb is that you’ll still have problems clashing as you’ll have bars hitting. You can’t have them end to end as you couldn’t hang a bike off the back wheel it would have to hang from the fork mount and you can’t adjust those unless you had multiple bars to attach to.

What you really want is a north shore rack, google that they are fantastic. Don’t think you can get them in the uk though.

TBF the genuine one isn’t that bad for 3 bikes as long as you keep a bit of pipe lagging for rub points. I find it a lot easier than some tow bar racks others have and it’s on there and it’s tucked away when not in use. 4th bar is nigh on useless though and the thing is eye wateringly expensive…

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Yes. Basically £500 for the VW one. I know what you mean on the North shore racks. They have the angled front wheel brackets. Maybe I should weld one up. Steel or ally tubing you think?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘VW Transporter bike rack’ is closed to new replies.