Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • VW Transporter as a bike van – what to look for when buying second hand?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Mikertroid and Flux 😀

IHN

I switched my car for a 2004 T5 van last year. It’s the SWB 104 model. Fuel seems to be around high 30s mpg, up to 40mpg if driven carefully.

I’m really happy with it, great bike wagon. I don’t miss the car as it fits in normal spaces and almost every car park. Only downsides are higher running costs for insurance, fuel, road tax but I had factored that in.

Whoah, hold on, are you me?

strike
    Free Member

I’m not sure which/if any of the Transporters are fitted with the 2.0TDI, but if you’re buying one with this engine that’s got no warranty, then AVOID! I’m sure many people will pop up saying they’ve had no issues with the VW 2.0TDI engines, but this engine is dog and not a patch on the 1.9TDI for reliability.

2.0TDI (Pump Duse) engines produced from ’53 to ’07 suffered cracked/porous cylinder heads and oil pump faliure. I’m also hearing of fuel pump failures now on the newer 2.0TDI Common Rail engines (not a cheap part replace).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My neighbours advice (he buys broken, fixes and sells Vito’s as a bit of money on the side) when I asked about T4’s and Vito’s was get one that says Ford Transit on the back. Not cool, but you can get one with a fraction of the miles on the clock.

tomd
    Free Member

Whoah, hold on, are you me?

No I don’t think so. I think T5 vans are a pretty common bike mobile though!

doubledunter
    Free Member

I got rid of my motor last year and bought a renualt trafic sport, has everything I need, electric pack, air conditioning, bluetooth hands free and it looks not too bad and pretty nice to drive although I expect the transporter maybe a nicer drive…plenty of room for work stuff and bikes, 39.4 mpg
    [/url] traf by Doubledunter, on Flickr[/img]

bigad40
    Free Member

Had a T5, it was always in the work shop. Bought a Toyota Hiace with astronomical miles and doubled it. Bought a new Hiace in 2008 for the low emission zone. 31mpg is on the heavy side but always have a ton of stuff on board. Change the oil every year, should go on forever. Oh, rear wheel drive makes it a blast in the wet! Most used Hiaces will have been driven by the owner.
    My 1st car was a T2 bay window camper. They don’t build em like that anymore.

mikertroid
    Free Member

paceman, I’m struggling to send you a PM; can you send me one with your email. I must be a biffa!!

Paceman
    Free Member

Should I be concerned about mileage with T5 Van?
    i.e. if the relevant servicing has been done should a higher mileage example be worth considering?

Mikertroid, try nathshaw AT hotmail DOT com

Cheers

Paceman

mikertroid
    Free Member

Sent you the info

Neb

There’s a lot of rubbish posted on this thread. A 1.9 or 2.5 engine is the PD engine, the newer 2.0 engines are common rail and supposedly more efficient. in both the 1.9 and 2.0 engines, the 84bhp versions are identical to the 102bhp, but with a different map. if you were to remap them, they’d be the same. ie, so why not save £2k by getting the 84bhp + remap than buying a 102bhp… I’ve a 2.0 and it averages 38mpg, it was cheaper insurance, cheaper tax and has better MPG than my previous Mazda 3. The driving position is significantly better than any car I’ve ever driven, its ace!

If you’re considering a vivaro or Renault/Citroen/Peugeot have a look at the common faults, gearboxes are a very common fault and very expensive to fix…

doubledunter
    Free Member

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘VW Transporter as a bike van – what to look for when buying second hand?’ is closed to new replies.