Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • VW Tiguan – aftermarket towbar and bike rack?
  • tor5
    Free Member

It seems if I want to carry bikes on the back of the car, rather than the roof I need a towbar rack. Which means fitting a towbar. So, two questions:

1) I assume the VW dealer will pull my pants down to fit one, so who are a reputable aftermarket company – what do I need to know about the different types of towbar?

2) Recommend me a rack which will take 4 bikes, including 2 kids (16″). I’m after stability and ease of use over the lowest possible price

Thanks!

dibboid
    Free Member

here will give you a idea. Think carefully about whether you opt for the dedicated wiring loom (recommended if you have parking sensors) which will (probably) need ecu programming or the relay.

joeegg
    Free Member

I always use a 2 bolt flange type towbar as they are generally cheaper than a detachable and the bike rack suitable for this bar will also be cheaper.Just doesn’t look as nice as a detachable.
    I’ve just had a quote for a Mondeo of £220 including double electrics.Thats fitting at home,£15 cheaper at depot.
    You don’t need the double electrics if you’re not towing a caravan,just a single 7 pin.You’ll probably need a lighting board as well if the bikes obscure the rear lights.
    I use a Thule rack which has a plate permanently on the towbar and slots in and out of it.You keep the towball on as well so you can continue to tow with the bike rack on ( watch the noseweight).
    The Thule took 4 bikes but with a weight limit of i think 60kg.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slackalice
    Free Member

Good info on the varying types available at The Roofbox Company and their pricing seems good too. I have used them for a set of roof bars and their service was excellent.

The Roofbox Company

br
    Free Member

I’d get a VW quote first, along with a spec of what they’ll actually do – to make sure the aftermarket guys will actually do it properly, as opposed to ‘crimp’ it in…

woody21
    Free Member

I’ve got a Tiguan and use a Halfords bike rack that can hold 3 bikes. I haven’t done anything with the electrics as the bike is more over the rear windscreen and away from the lights / number plate

nickhart
    Free Member

My dad had a towbar fitted to his tiguan buy the vw dealers, who got in a third party to fit it! Shop around, I used a firm in Sheffield to fit and supply the towbar for my touran, 300ish. I have a atera strada rack, mines for three but they do a four, it’s brilliant. Very secure and stable too. Only issue I have is remembering which way round I put the bikes the last time! Old age creeping in.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Get a westfalia swan neck tow bar from http://www.towbarsdirect.co.uk and get a vehicle specific kit.

A mate of mine had a 2.5 year old passat and it blew a turbo and wiring loom, VW conveniently blamed the £4500 damage on the 7 way bypass relay the auto electrician fitted 🙄

At least get the VW wiring kit as it a) protects any warranty issues and b) run silent, they only go beep beep beep when a bulb has failed, and if it has reverse sensors it’ll probably knock them off automatically too

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘VW Tiguan – aftermarket towbar and bike rack?’ is closed to new replies.