Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • VW T5/T6 Parking Heater – Can any users please explain how it works?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Looking at ordering a T6 through the business as a company vehicle.
    I will also use it for staying in ‘whilst working away’ and i’m considering the parking heater as an option.
    Any idea of the extent of this heater?
    Can it be used to keep the vehicle to a comfortable temperature throughout the night? Total lack of info from VW it seems!

I’m looking at the ‘Programmable parking heater (air) with auxiliary heater (coolant-based) and second battery’ option.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have a Cali T5 which has a Diesel heater. Is that what you are referring to?
    It is controlled from the console near the rear view mirror. It has temperature settings and on / off switch.

What it means for me is that we could go camping all year with babies as young as 4 weeks old without worry, about them getting cold at least.

scruff9252

Is it an eberspacher unit? If so, I have one on the yacht and its brilliant for staying aboard during winter. Goes through a lot of diesel mind!

zelak999
    Free Member

I cant seem to find any info at all really.
    The T6 brochure says the following:
    Programmable parking heater (air) with auxiliary heater (coolant-based) and second battery.
    Provides an auxiliary heater combined with a supplementary air heater. The combination of
    two heaters enables the vehicle air to be fully heated when parked and supports the engine
    to heat the vehicle in cold conditions when driving. The supplementary air heater is controlled
    via the operating and display unit in the roof which has settings for the switch-on time,
    the day of the week and the desired temperature.
    I dont know if this can be used through the night to keep the van heated or what really!

owenh

This is talking about 2 separate heaters.

The auxiliary heater (coolant-based) primary purpose is to heat up the engine block quickly on a cold day. It will automatically come on when the temperature drops below 4 or 5 deg and you start the engine. Often continues to run automatically for a period after the engine stops. It is possible to add a remote or timer control to run it for 30 mins so you can get the engine warm before starting. VW usually use a Webasto Thermotop for this heater. Should be a sticker on the drivers door pilar area if one is fitted.
    The Programmable parking heater (air) is what you want to keep the van warm when parked up overnight. This one blows hot air into the cabin, usually in the California variants via a grill on the B pilar. User controlled via a panel above the rear view mirror. It would be able to keep the van warm overnight by monitoring the temp and switching on and off as required. You could probably set it to come on at set times as well. Remote controls also available for these. VW use both Webasto Air Top and Eperspacher units.

I have a California Beach which came as std with the coolant heater but I needed to retrofit the air heater.

zelak999
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks owenh!
    That’s what I wanted to hear!

NZCol

Cali owner here as well, as said its the Eberspacher air heater you want, makes cold nights toasty warm also surprisingly good for drying shoes out !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘VW T5/T6 Parking Heater – Can any users please explain how it works?’ is closed to new replies.