Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • VW T5- Electrical help please…
  • sharkattack

Further to last weeks electric windows thread I took the plunge and purchased a highly recommended kit from a reputable seller on ebay.

The hardest part by far was removing all the trim. Especially when behind it looked like this;

Nothing the Dyson couldn’t handle.

Now everything is fitted, the wires are routed and I’m up to the bit I’m not sure about. I have to splice into a power source. VW forums recommend the yellow and black wire behind the light switch. But it looks very tight and comfortable so how do I safely splice into it? Are there any other options?

I assumed I’d have to wire it into the factory fuse box since I have loads of empty slots. How come the kit just bypasses it?

Also the earth. There’s loads of robust metalwork behind the dash. Can I just stick it on anywhere as long as it’s direct to metal?

Never done any electrical work before. I sort of understand what I’m doing, I just wouldn’t mine some pointers before I do it 😉 Oh, and I’m asking on STW because the VW forums are sparsely populated and you always deliver the goods.

kristoff
    Free Member

I had a similar kit on my old T5, took a spur from the black and yellow headlight loom as suggested then used the earth stud next to the bonnet release lever as the earth.

Hope this helps.

sharkattack

I know that’s what I need to do I was just wondering how to do it really. How do I safely splice into it? Any soldering involved? Or what kind of terminal do I need? etc..

Just wanted to double check before I do something wrong.

duncancallum

Solder it in. Strip the insulation without cutting the wire twist it in and then solder n heat shrink it up.

Do not use scotch locks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘VW T5- Electrical help please…’ is closed to new replies.