Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Vw t4 owners. Inspiration and advice please
  • bobbyspangles

Hi.
    Looking at buying a t4, I’ve owned vito previously so not really genned up on t4’s problems and points to look for. Ideally I need a 4/5seater and not a camper.
    Any advice appreciated thank you

Simon

Many of the vans you see for sale with seats in the back started out life as panel vans and have been converted later.
    It’s difficult to know how well the seats/seatbelts have been fitted.
    With this in mind I bought a T4 factory kombi which has factory fitted seats and belts in the back.
    Took a while to find what I wanted.

I’ve made removable single and double bed platforms for occasional van camping.
    Here’s the single set up.

SaxonRider

If you can find one, go for the 2.5 TDI. It is my opinion that the 1.9 is just too little power for such a big vehicle, and that the 2.4 is not as refined.

Beyond that, as the owner of two T4s over the last 10 years, I can’t really think of much to worry about.

In terms of what you state as your needs, you almost certainly want a SWB, though. The LWB gives you 30 cms more room, but you end up parking at the end of every car park, as it tends to stick out otherwise.

neil853
    Free Member

I bought an 03 t4 in September, converting from a panel van to a day van. The best thing I’ve ever bought bar none. Love it. I went for the 2.5 88hp but ideally I’d have like the 102hp it’s just I couldn’t find one that I liked basically. On the five cyclinder ones make sure they don’t smoke (white) on start up as that can be injectors and not cheap. Also, if getting 2.5 make sure it’s had the timing belt and water pump done as that’s pretty much the only thing that’ll kill one.

oli31
    Free Member

Second the cambelt and waterpump – an expensive fix when they go wrong!

Also beware whining in 5th and juddering on acceleration which can also be expensive noises.

They’re also getting to the age where rust could become an issue so a good check round the sills, arches etc.

We’ve had ours for nearly 10 years and despite all the problems it’ll be a sad day when it goes : )

db

I have a 2.4 which has an aftermarket turbo fitted. It’s a full camper and is great. There is some rust I have keep on top of but nothing has every gone wrong with it (touch wood). Its not fast, 5th gear is not really high enough but will sit at 65-70 all day. Ours smokes lots on start up if I don’t use the cold start leaver – and I mean lots!

Being a full camper the bikes go on the tow bar. We are thinking about buying a T5 camper later this year. Bit nicer to drive and will go for a LWB for a bit more space (current T4 is a SWB). Saw some great vans at recent NEC show – just need to ‘justify’ the c40k price 😯

Get yourself over to the T4 forum – great place and almost as friendly as here 🙂

bobbyspangles

coolio thanks
    It was a toss up between Primastars and T4’s. Ive seen some nice t4s for my budget and I will take the advice to heart.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Vw t4 owners. Inspiration and advice please’ is closed to new replies.