Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • VW Polo.. engine warning light. Any experts?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Our polo (53 plate, 1.2) switched on the engine warning light yesterday. I've had this a couple of times and once it cost me quite a lot of money. I do know, however, that it's the generic "something is wrong" light and sometimes the thing that is wrong can be a passing thing that sorts itself but our local VW dealer is closed today so they can't help me find out what the issue is.

Is there any way to reset the warning light to make sure it's a proper warning light, not just something thats gone away?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Lots of cars will turn the light out themsleves after a certain number of engine starts once the fault has gone away. Not sure if your's is one of those though.

donsimon
    Free Member

I often find the problem is down to the fuses. Remove the offending fuse and the light should go out and not bother you again.

BTW my car's a Peugeot, if that makes any difference.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steveh

Any garage will be able to read the fault codes to try and figure out what the problem is, there's no need to pay main dealer prices for it. I've got a little handheld unit that will do it for all vag cars, costs me about £30 off ebay.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Try vwaudiforum.co.uk. We had an intermittant fault light issue a couple of years ago and we found a thread on there that told us how to clear it.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Not related as such but my brother bought an 02 polo (1.2) with about 20,000 on the clock, being the careful type it was in imaculate condition. At about 30,000 miles the head gasket went and the engine completly was toast in the space of about half a mile with no warning lights just drove a little, a tiny bit of smoke, a lot of smoke, gone. After a little bit of research it appeared to be a not uncommon feature of Polos of that age. So if the light is related to oil of that sort of thing get it checked out fast.

Iain

atlaz
    Free Member

I've had the valve seats burn out and had an almost complete engine rebuild. VW say it's not a problem with the engine but paid for the parts to fix it so draw your own conclusion 🙂

Currently trying to find someone with a vag-com reader to do some home diagnostics as the £50 quid minimum charge from my main dealer is an annoyance but the fact they're shut today doesn't really help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘VW Polo.. engine warning light. Any experts?’ is closed to new replies.