Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • VW Passat starting problems
  • Divid
    Free Member

Hi
    After some advice as my trusty Passat (petrol)x reg, is having intermittent starting problems.
    Almost 95% of time starts first time, but when does not start will turn over for ages before starts, and then will run a bit lumpy for a minute or so.
    There is no obvious pattern except will start every time if cold and seems more likely to occur if been left for an hour or so.
    Had car mechanics check it out, with out much joy and they are scratching heads.
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers

mc
    Free Member

At a guess, coolant temperature sensor or coil issue(s), but any decent mechanic should of checked them. That’s provided you took the car to somebody with suitable kit for talking to the ECU.

mboy
    Free Member

Which engine?

Sounds like coil pack issues to me… Common problem with VAG 20V 1.8’s…

Get a mechanic to plug a VAG fault code checker to the car (port is just by the handbrake, you have to remove a bit of rubber to access it) and see what codes it comes up with… Then google the codes!

Divid
    Free Member

Thanks for responses

Engine 1.8 20v petrol

Feel bit stupid for asking but what is a coil pack?

Cheers

mboy
    Free Member

Try that for some links to info on the coil packs…

In laymans terms, it’s the bit that turns 12V into about 20,000V so that the spark plug actually sparks! And they’re a fairly unique feature in the VAG 1.8 engines, and are prone to failing every so often. Most people I know of with cars with this engine in keep a couple of them spare in the car, just in case. They’re not massively expensive (if sourced correctly), but can be a big pain in the arse!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘VW Passat starting problems’ is closed to new replies.