Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • vw passat help
  • andy4d

I have a 2007 passat and having problems with heating/aircon fan. I seem to be able to adjust the temp ok with air con or normal heating but there is no fan at all. Is this a new fan or bigger air con issue? Dont want to visit dealer yet without some idea of extent of issue in case the fix is just to much. Thanks for any help

steffybhoy
    Free Member

Could be a fuse. Try and source someone close who has vagcom. Should throw up some codes.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

On any setting?

andy4d

Checked the fuse and its fine. And yeah its on any setting including the window clearing one. Can feel hot or cold air at the vents but just no fan

wysiwyg
    Free Member

not thermal resistor prob as it should blow on full.

motor brushes?

adscatt
    Free Member

So you have no fan at all, but you can change the temp setting lo-hi? If so, sounds like a fan motor issue. Does the fan work on speed 4? Usually heater resistor if it works only on speed 4.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

echo, echo, echo..

andy4d

Yep, no fan but seem to be able to adjust the heat. So if its the fan is it an expensive fix?
    And thanks for help so far

wysiwyg
    Free Member

DIY if youre remotely useful. Under the glovebox

adscatt
    Free Member

Fan motor is easy to replace, can’t remember if it’s 5.5mm socket required, obviously depends on your own ability but replacing the fan motor doesn’t require any basic setting or diag equipment. Check with a multi meter at the fan motor first tho, should have voltage and earth.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTLqq5iKho[/video]

andy4d

Cheers for the link, I aint to bad at diy stuff so might give it a shot.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

When its out stick 12v straight from the/a battery and see what occurs. Dont hold the blades obv.
    the blower fan assembly simply twists off clockwise once the power plug has been unclipped

andy4d

Stick 12v on…sorry for being dumb but how, is it straight forward, dont want to get my +ve and -ve fecked up. I have a multi meter so would this not tell me. Watched the link and think I will give it a go myself.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Two pins, fan will go one way or other dependant on polarity you choose, no biggie.

Use ya multimeter, check for continuity

andy4d

Gotcha, thats me busy tomorrow if its dry. Cheers

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Oh I, possibly easier, unplug the fan, multimeter the voltage across the pins on cable as you alter the heater settings. Voltage should change.

chickenman

Did this Passat model use the fan duct to irrigate the main computer in the passenger footwell, or was that just the Mk5?

bigblackshed

I wish my Golf glovebox came out that easy!

I had similar on my Golf. It was the connector / plug on the fan motor. There was a cable break in the sealed plug. I ended up cutting the plug off and crimping some female spade connectors on.

Make sure you check the direction of the fan before putting the glove box back in. 🙄 😉

andy4d

Rained most of today so never got out to the car. Next dry day off and I will be giving it a go, reading above and watching you-tube makes it look easy enough, just hope I dont knacker something that will cost me big to sort. Want to get the old one out first to check it out with the multi meter etc before ordering a new one.

docstar
    Free Member

Are the washers/rear demister/cigarette lighter working?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hi everyone 🙂

Suspect it’s more likely to be the resistors in the switch than anything else, tbh. Had that on an older model, but in that case only full speed would work.

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

Check the pollen filter first, my wifes Polo was struggling to clear the windows. Filter had not been changed since new.

New filter made an amazing difference!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘vw passat help’ is closed to new replies.