Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • VW Passat estate – 08-11
  • Stu_N

Had an 07 TDI 170 sport estate for four years. Similar mpg (45-50) to the person who had a saloon on page 1. Electronic handbrake went wrong twice, once wouldn’t engage which was fixed under warranty and once wouldn’t disengage which was fixed under extended warranty (youll see why i took that and it definitely was worth it!) handbrake control units are it’s about £1,000 job apparently. It had a bit of an appetite for tyres and the lambda sensor went twice which put it into limp mode as well, and a couple of unexplained limps too. Overall not the most reliable (!) plus there was an annoying trim squeak from the dashboard that dealer couldn’t permanently cure.

Was good for load carrying – 2-up would take 2MTBs upright with front wheel off and two road bikes on their side on top of luggage – three weeks kit and ten cases of wine. Not great to drive compared to Focus before it and A6 I have now but jot dreadful. Mine didn’t have cruise control which was a bit tedious but otherwise well equipped and as some have said the side touches good – eg console lights which you can also use to do an ET impression with your finger and lots of cubbyholes and storage. Not sure I would buy another B6 but I think mine was a bad’un.

molgrips
    Free Member

handbrake control units are it’s about £1,000 job apparently

The motor assembly is £280 and it’s a pretty simple fix….

spacemonkey

The motor assembly is £280 and it’s a pretty simple fix….

Really? For an OEM part and then a bit of gaff trying to replace? Like Stu, I’ve heard £600+ isn’t unheard for official out of warranty fix.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had one side fail, £280 from the dealer – it’s only available from them. Having said that about fitting myself, I am now thining I can’t remember, because I took the old part off to try and fix it. It was certainly easy to remove and refit, it’s just bolted to the back of the caliper with a couple of torx bolts. I may have paid for fitting, but it was only an hour job if that, so £350 ish.

There’s a lot of info online – I think you CAN fit it yourself if the handbrake’s off. I don’t think it needs to be coded or calibrated.

spacemonkey

I guess that’s just about bearable given the dealer cost.

Heard yesterday that more and more VW (and some Audi) owners have been using Skoda dealers for servicing as the overall experience is much better. Can’t say I’ve been of fan of VW/Audi dealers in the past.

Stu_N

The extended warranty one was a €1,200 bill – I had to pay that and claim it back as it happened in France. Both sides were replaced as one side had siezed in the on position and the other side had a cracked housing; crack was filthy and there was visible corrosion inside the unit so looked legit to me. There were other complications too as the brake warning light and ECU light wouldn’t go out after the fix.

Bit of a squeaky bum time while they processed that warranty claim but came through in the end…

spacemonkey

Just spoke to a dealer re a Passat for sale, and asked for the full spec because the description listed a few things before finishing with “+ MORE”. According to the rep, this doesn’t mean THAT particular car has more kit, oh no, it just means other kit is available to purchase! What a load of BS.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve been of fan of VW/Audi dealers in the past.

Varies a lot, I reckon. Sinclair of South Wales are pretty good in my experience.

If both sides of the brake go then you are looking at over £50 for the parts, of course, but it’s still an easy mechanical job assuming no complications of course.

When I got mine, I had the parking brake malfunction intermittently for a while, then it went away, then came back. It generally took a couple of presses to get it to work, that went on for a year or more before it finally packed up altogether. I’m currently having the same intermittent fault, I’m assuming it’s the other side, so I think I’m going to drill a tiny hole in the casing and squirt lube in there whilst it still works.

Although, it may be the dashboard switch (another known issue) because it’s so far never failed to disengage or engage automatically…..

spacemonkey

looking at over £50 for the parts

£500?

molgrips
    Free Member

Er yeah that’s right. I don’t think they give you that much of a discount for buying two 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘VW Passat estate – 08-11’ is closed to new replies.