• This topic has 50 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • VW having a laugh – second key
  • oink1
    Free Member

My Mini has all the service info etc recorded on the fob. The service manual is completely generic. No specific info to that vehicle whatsoever 🙂

oink1
    Free Member

double post

prawny

Our 3 series only came with one key, bought it in august last year, still saving up for a spare key 😆

My mate works at the dealers, but even with his staff discount we’re still looking at a £180 bill

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Need a new key for my Galaxy. Key itself is fine, it’s the remote buttons. Timpsons put they key in some sort of device, to read its details. They reckon they can do one but looking at £160 ea.
    Reading on the Galaxy forum, if I can get a new / spare key, I can program the remote buttons but the key still needs programming to the car, costing hundreds.

How old is your Galaxy? I had to reprogram my ’09 SMax spare key when I changed the key battery. I looked in the car handbook and it had a section on adding new spare keys – upto 7 with the process to re-programme them once you’ve bought a new key. Something like get in the car, insert the new key, turn it to ignition position 2 and back 7 times, remove the key from the ignition for 30 seconds and re-insert and turn to position 2 – or something along those lines. So no need to go to the dealer other than to buy the new key.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Seems

like a really stupid thing to do, when it would be far simpler to encode that information into a part of the car that doesn’t get lost all the time. Like the ECU.

Means dealer doesn’t have to go out to car nor plug in also makes it a pain for non dealers to update.

Reciepts trump service stamps anyway imo.

bruneep

If this is the case, I give garage my spare key when in for service so how is service log transfered across to my key?

trail_rat
    Free Member

How do you show potential second hand private buyers your service history….

Bruneep won’t yours just be a warrenty history rather than a service history 😉

bruneep

No warranty work as yet.

Im sure last keys contained NFC Loyalty card for their shitty showroom coffee machine.

Saccades
    Free Member

When i phoned the Irish Volvo dealer about a new key they just needed the car chassis number and had the full uk service history from their database which makes sense.

jimw
    Free Member

When I had a BMW in 2005-6, I once went into a dealer and as I approached the service desk I was addressed by a person I had never met before by name….
    Apparently they had a device that got the car details from the key as you walk up to the desk
    Edit: perhaps it was the key reader outlined above and it works from a short distance?

br
    Free Member

Our 3 series only came with one key, bought it in august last year,[/I]

When we bought our 4 series last year we got the two original keys, and negotiated another into the deal…

Worked with a chap ages back that had lost his two keys for his Mondeo so was using the red one. I suggested he ought to get another one before he lost that one. Nope he didn’t, and then lost the red one… knob.

Seen the same with Honda m/c’s, the keys were coded to the ECU, bloody fortune if you lost them.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘VW having a laugh – second key’ is closed to new replies.